The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing September 2018 - University of Manchester

Hi! :smile:

I thought I'd set up a forum so that we could share interview tips with anybody that is interested. It would also be nice to meet other people who are interested in this course :smile: If anyone has any ideas of which student accommodation to apply for, that would be great :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I've recently received an offer for mental health nursing and had my interview last week. It was a really quick interview consisting of multiple mini interviews including a mini maths test and scenario's :smile:
Reply 2
Well done! I received an offer for Children’s Nursing too! By any chance, have you looked at any accommodation yet? ☺️
That's great well done! I've had a look but I found accommodation is really expensive compared to some other uni's. I probably just will go in unite accommodation as it seems to be the cheapest, around £125 for an en suite room
Original post by Gabby2612
I've recently received an offer for mental health nursing and had my interview last week. It was a really quick interview consisting of multiple mini interviews including a mini maths test and scenario's :smile:

Hi, my interview is not at Manchester but at Nottingham and I'm super nervous! Just wondering if you're able to give me any tips for the MMIs because I'm really getting myself stressed as I don't think I'll be able to answer anything about the scenarios :frown:

Any tips or advice? Thank you and good luck! :smile:
Hiya, im from Ireland and have recieved two interviews for both manchester and salford, they are in two weeks time.
Reply 6
Original post by Wajeeha
Hi, is this at university of Manchester if so what kind of questions were you asked

Hi ☺️ Yes it was. It was an MMI interview. They never asked WHY I wanted to be a children’s nurse and instead gave me scenario questions in 7 stations. They were questions based on what qualities you need as a children’s nurse and the importance of teamwork. I’d look at the 6C’s if I were you. You’re given 1 minute to read through your question, and come up with an answer. Then you turn around to your interviewer and you have 5 minutes to answer. But don’t worry, they give you lots of prompts and you end up talking for ages 😂 Hope this helps x
Reply 7
Original post by bdeehan99
Hiya, im from Ireland and have recieved two interviews for both manchester and salford, they are in two weeks time.

That’s amazing! You’re brave for moving so far away. When are your interviews?
Hi, I’m in year 12 and am really hoping to go to Manchester to do Children’s Nursing. Just out of interest what was your journey from year 12 to where you are now? Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by CharChar16
Hi, I’m in year 12 and am really hoping to go to Manchester to do Children’s Nursing. Just out of interest what was your journey from year 12 to where you are now? Thank you so much :smile:

No problem! My journey was a bit more long winded if I’m honest. I’m in Year 13 now, of course, but I’m 20 (and everybody else is 18 😂). At first, I thought I needed to do A Levels - I hated them and didn’t get the grades that I wanted. I took a year out to figure out what I wanted to do. I thought I wanted to do Adult Nursing at first, but I did a placement at a Care Home and that was enough for me to change my mind. I know Adult Nursing isn’t all about the elderly, but its such a big part of it, and I couldn’t see myself doing it! It wasn’t until I started my Health and Social Care course at Stoke Sixth Form that I realised I wanted to do children’s nursing. I did plenty of placements in hospitals, schools, kids clubs etc. But it was my placement at a special needs nursery/primary that I loved the most and I haven’t looked back since. I handed in my UCAS application on the first day and heard back from universities pretty quickly if I’m honest. I applied for Keele, Manchester, Wolverhampton, Staffs and Chester, but it was Manchester that I liked the most from the open day. The facilities look great and the staff/ student nurses are lovely. After my interview at Manchester, I heard back from them the next day! Right now, I’ve selected Manchester as my firm choice, and Wolverhampton as my insurance choice and I’m starting this September, I’m so nervous! My college has a great support team that have helped me push my application forward, so I would definitely rely on any support that you can get. Good luck!! If you have any more questions, then feel free to ask ☺️
Original post by Oliviatol
No problem! My journey was a bit more long winded if I’m honest. I’m in Year 13 now, of course, but I’m 20 (and everybody else is 18 😂). At first, I thought I needed to do A Levels - I hated them and didn’t get the grades that I wanted. I took a year out to figure out what I wanted to do. I thought I wanted to do Adult Nursing at first, but I did a placement at a Care Home and that was enough for me to change my mind. I know Adult Nursing isn’t all about the elderly, but its such a big part of it, and I couldn’t see myself doing it! It wasn’t until I started my Health and Social Care course at Stoke Sixth Form that I realised I wanted to do children’s nursing. I did plenty of placements in hospitals, schools, kids clubs etc. But it was my placement at a special needs nursery/primary that I loved the most and I haven’t looked back since. I handed in my UCAS application on the first day and heard back from universities pretty quickly if I’m honest. I applied for Keele, Manchester, Wolverhampton, Staffs and Chester, but it was Manchester that I liked the most from the open day. The facilities look great and the staff/ student nurses are lovely. After my interview at Manchester, I heard back from them the next day! Right now, I’ve selected Manchester as my firm choice, and Wolverhampton as my insurance choice and I’m starting this September, I’m so nervous! My college has a great support team that have helped me push my application forward, so I would definitely rely on any support that you can get. Good luck!! If you have any more questions, then feel free to ask ☺️

Omg that’s amazing!! Yes I’ve known for ages I wanna work with children and then saw children’s nursing and am set on that!! Can’t wait to see what Manchester is like on the open day! Do you know about what course you’re taking, like what it entails?? Thank you so much! Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 11
Omg that’s amazing!! Yes I’ve known for ages I wanna work with children and then saw children’s nursing and am set on that!! Can’t wait to see what Manchester is like on the open day! Do you know about what course you’re taking, like what it entails?? Thank you so much! Good luck to you too :smile:

That’s amazing! I hope you love it as much as I do. The campus is really nice. As far as the Children’s Nursing course goes, the only thing I know about it right now is what modules they do (it’s on their website). I know they’re paired up with some really great hospitals as well and it’s always a 50/50 split between being in the hospital/community and being in lectures. Apparently lecture days can be quite long (9am - 4pm) and placement hours are around 37.5 hours a week. I’m not sure about what the timetable will be like, so maybe it might be worth asking when you’re at the open day? I know it’s full on, that’s why I’ve decided to live on campus instead of commuting from home (Stoke) ☺️
That’s amazing! I hope you love it as much as I do. The campus is really nice. As far as the Children’s Nursing course goes, the only thing I know about it right now is what modules they do (it’s on their website). I know they’re paired up with some really great hospitals as well and it’s always a 50/50 split between being in the hospital/community and being in lectures. Apparently lecture days can be quite long (9am - 4pm) and placement hours are around 37.5 hours a week. I’m not sure about what the timetable will be like, so maybe it might be worth asking when you’re at the open day? I know it’s full on, that’s why I’ve decided to live on campus instead of commuting from home (Stoke) ☺️

Yes I’d definitely live on campus. What’s the accommodation like? And wow, sounds amazinggggg!!! Yes I’ll definitely check out the website! Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 13
Yes I’d definitely live on campus. What’s the accommodation like? And wow, sounds amazinggggg!!! Yes I’ll definitely check out the website! Thank you so much :smile:

Most of the accommodation isn’t too bad, it depends what your budget is and what you’re looking for! Definitely go on accommodation tours while you’re there. I’ve applied for Denmark Road, Ashburne Hall and Hulme Hall! No problem! ☺️
Most of the accommodation isn’t too bad, it depends what your budget is and what you’re looking for! Definitely go on accommodation tours while you’re there. I’ve applied for Denmark Road, Ashburne Hall and Hulme Hall! No problem! ☺️

Ok, I’ll have a look! :smile:
Reply 15
Hi ☺️ Yes it was. It was an MMI interview. They never asked WHY I wanted to be a children’s nurse and instead gave me scenario questions in 7 stations. They were questions based on what qualities you need as a children’s nurse and the importance of teamwork. I’d look at the 6C’s if I were you. You’re given 1 minute to read through your question, and come up with an answer. Then you turn around to your interviewer and you have 5 minutes to answer. But don’t worry, they give you lots of prompts and you end up talking for ages 😂 Hope this helps x

What kind of scenario based questions did you get?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Wajeeha
When was your interview and was tere any scenario based questions and the maths test how many questions did you get?

My interview was on the 6th December, and I heard back the next day. All the questions that I got asked were scenario based ☺️ For the maths test, I think there were 10 questions, but you have the full 6 minutes to answer them, and they’re really basic questions.
Reply 17
My interview was on the 6th December, and I heard back the next day. All the questions that I got asked were scenario based ☺️ For the maths test, I think there were 10 questions, but you have the full 6 minutes to answer them, and they’re really basic questions.

would you be able to give me any examples
Reply 18
Original post by Wajeeha
would you be able to give me any examples

For the maths questions? I honestly couldn’t remember any specific ones, but it was things like adding and subtracting 3 digit numbers or division questions ☺️
Reply 19
For the maths questions? I honestly couldn’t remember any specific ones, but it was things like adding and subtracting 3 digit numbers or division questions ☺️

what about for the actual interview? what kind of questions and scenario based questions did your get asked

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending