Have your say: Top study tips to keep you focused over the Christmas holiday

Watch this thread
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our Top study tips to keep you focused over the Christmas holiday article.

Read the full Top study tips to keep you focused over the Christmas holiday article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

UWS
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fox Corner)
Here's where you can post a comment about our Top study tips to keep you focused over the Christmas holiday article.

Read the full Top study tips to keep you focused over the Christmas holiday article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
The library is also a good place to go and study during the holidays. Most of the distractions would be left at home so it's a good way to stay focused.
Leslie Knope
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
make a study plan which u will actually follow, varying between revision and breaks, dont stress yourself too much, try and enjoy urself during the christmas, dont like literally cram in revision every single day, ur brain will get stressed, as well as ur body, surround yourself with friends and family and have a great holiday. When u do some revision, do it in a place without any distractions, like the post above, the library, the park, ur room. Good luck xx and Have a great christmas!
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing the same as what I did last year; lock myself in the library until I feel I know enough to "warrant" going home for Christmas My uni broke up for Christmas on the 7th but I'm planning to stay at my uni house and library-sesh during the day until around the 20th... At least it'll be quiet.
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
this is the moment when im glad my course is entirely coursework and all our submissions are due in before christmas :moon:
somemightsay888
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Don't sit for hours on end doing the same boring ****
Although frowned upon, question spotting is pretty much the way to go really
Don't be working into dumb morning hours, it's just hell
Do something fun every few days, dedicating yourself solely to work is dead

This worked for me tbh, did so solid in the exams
Fox Corner
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by somemightsay888)
Don't sit for hours on end doing the same boring ****
Although frowned upon, question spotting is pretty much the way to go really
Don't be working into dumb morning hours, it's just hell
Do something fun every few days, dedicating yourself solely to work is dead

This worked for me tbh, did so solid in the exams
What’s question spotting? I’ve never heard of that!
asheroo92
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
For my pharmacology module, my lecturer has told us the 5 topics we will be questioned on (1 long answer question per topic). Question spotting is when you only study a minimal amount of material in the hopes they'll come up. It's better studying a broad range so you're prepared to answer any question!
flaurie
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Trying to guess what the questions will be and only mainly studying that bit
somemightsay888
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
- Look through past say, 5 exams
- Look for common questions
- Study those common questions (The amount you're required to answer), as well as a contingency question in case one of your bets is off
-???
- Profit
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I usually use the Christmas holiday to study my alcohol tolerance.
LaMandarine
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I am quite frank with myself.
1: dissertation, so joke's on me this Christmas; I have no choice :lol:.
2. dissertation, just in case I slack on point 1
3. would I rather waste my sad and lonely Christmas binging on food and just watching some shows, only to flip out in January, or have an easier January and a better chance at graduating with a first? Bingo.

My top tip is don't be too ambitious with how much (and how quickly) you want to cover stuff over Christmas. Do that and you'll quickly give up doing anything altogether. Have some common sense over the amount of workload you have to cover until you get back, and with a bit of effort I'm sure 9 out of 10 cases will find time to both cover a decent amount over Christmas, whilst still indulging in those seasonal pleasures. Sounds too simple, but it really comes to two things: common-sense, and consistency.
Teesside University
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
:santa3: plan your study time early (if you haven't got a plan for the hols yet, do it now ) - don't be too rigid but give yourself a time-frame for achieving particular goals. It'll help you avoid that last minute panic and you'll feel in control of your time.

:santa3: tell your family and friends that during the holidays you will HAVE to do some work. If everyone's on board it'll be a lot easier for you to crack on with work and not feel bad for not being able to make every single social activity.

:santa3: work in manageable bursts - don't try to spend an entire day working - you're much more likely to tire and get fed up. Set yourself manageable periods of time to work in. And when you're done, relax.

:santa3: study efficiently - during study time, make sure you're studying. There's no point chaining yourself to your desk if you're not focused. It's better to spend half an hour doing some really solid, focused work, than to spend three hours doing bits and bobs of work ... interspersed with procrastination, Snapchat and Christmas music.

:santa3: treat yourself when you've achieved something. It's Christmas - don't miss out. Do a decent chunk of good quality work then relax - have a mince pie, watch Elf, see your friends.

:santa3: work in a sensible place - it's hard not to get distracted at the best of times, never mind at Christmas. Consider going to the library if it's not too far away. Or dedicate a room or space in your house which is relatively Christmas-free - it'll focus your mind and keep study time nicely separate from holiday time. If you're surrounded by Band Aid, sweets and fairy lights you might be a little more likely to mess about.

:santa3: get ahead of schedule - it'll keep you on track, you'll feel pleased when you realise how much you've done (and if you slip up once or twice it won't cause too much damage)

:santa3: have a lovely Christmas - keep things in perspective, don't stress, enjoy your time off, get your work done and have fun.

:claus: :claus: :claus: :claus: :claus:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (10)
21.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
8.51%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
8.51%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
10.64%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
25.53%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
25.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed