GCSE WJEC Chemistry Watch

xoxCooperxox
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My chemistry teacher is new to my school and is definitely under 30. He can’t teach to save his life but I really need to know this stuff. Anyone got any chemistry knowledge they could share?

Currently we’ve ‘completed’ the topics;
•Substances and Chemical Reactions
•Metallic Bonding
•Ionic Bonding
•Covalent Bonding
•Simple Molecular Compounds
•Nanoscience
•Acids and Alkalis
•Neutralisation (we stared at acid dripping into alkali for an entire 30 minutes)
•Naming Salts (I understood this one)
•Balanced Symbol Equations (we did this topic last year so I understand this too)

Thanks guys xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
passionatefruit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which exam board are you using? If AQA or Edexcel just read the revision guide for science, they have everything required to know, it enough detail, not too much or not too less
xoxCooperxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by passionatefruit)
Which exam board are you using? If AQA or Edexcel just read the revision guide for science, they have everything required to know, it enough detail, not too much or not too less
Where would i find the revision guides? Also, not sure which one it is. I’ll have to check.
Senhoritamia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xoxCooperxox)
Where would i find the revision guides? Also, not sure which one it is. I’ll have to check.
on Amazon they have every revision guide known to man lol. Ask your teacher which exam board your year is using and then order the GCSE chemistry book for that exam board
ChemistryWebsite
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My chemistry teacher is new to my school and is definitely under 30. He can’t teach to save his life but I really need to know this stuff. Anyone got any chemistry knowledge they could share?

Currently we’ve ‘completed’ the topics;
•Substances and Chemical Reactions
•Metallic Bonding
•Ionic Bonding
•Covalent Bonding
•Simple Molecular Compounds
•Nanoscience
•Acids and Alkalis
•Neutralisation (we stared at acid dripping into alkali for an entire 30 minutes)
•Naming Salts (I understood this one)
•Balanced Symbol Equations (we did this topic last year so I understand this too)

Thanks guys xx
This site in the link is covering GCSE Science chemistry topics, including a number of the ones you mentioned.

I'm curious about your neutralisation lesson. You just sat there in silence watching the burette....?
What did the teacher talk about during that lesson?
xoxCooperxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by TutorsChemistry)
This site in the link is covering GCSE Science chemistry topics, including a number of the ones you mentioned.

I'm curious about your neutralisation lesson. You just sat there in silence watching the burette....?
What did the teacher talk about during that lesson?
Thanks 😁

Umm... he frequently mentioned ‘removing the funnel’ and he said somethhin about the universal indicator. He also mentioned that he’d broken two burettes during training.
xoxCooperxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Senhoritamia)
on Amazon they have every revision guide known to man lol. Ask your teacher which exam board your year is using and then order the GCSE chemistry book for that exam board
Thank you 😸
ChemistryWebsite
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks 😁

Umm... he frequently mentioned ‘removing the funnel’ and he said somethhin about the universal indicator. He also mentioned that he’d broken two burettes during training.
Funny the bits you remember. I'm sure I have broken burettes too, but I tend to tell students about neutralisation if that is the topic

Some thoughts that may jog memories of what you should have discussed:
What do you understand by neutralisation?
Why would you use a burette?
xoxCooperxox
Rep:
?
Funny the bits you remember. I'm sure I have broken burettes too, but I tend to tell students about neutralisation if that is the topic

Some thoughts that may jog memories of what you should have discussed:
What do you understand by neutralisation?
Why would you use a burette?
You use a burette to correctly measure the amount of acid used to neutralise the alkali.
The only thing we wrote down in the lesson of a timportance was the title. The rest was a starter of naming salts.
ChemistryWebsite
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You use a burette to correctly measure the amount of acid used to neutralise the alkali.
The only thing we wrote down in the lesson of a timportance was the title. The rest was a starter of naming salts.
OK. And why use an indicator?
jmuse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did Chemistry with WJEC this year and found that the revision notes made by Bangor Uni and the WJEC revision guide to be the best by far - they're definitely most targeted to the course and exam questions compared to CGP e.t.c

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/GCSE/GC...-1-english.pdf
C1

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/GCSE/GC...mistry%202.pdf
C2

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/GCSE/GC...mistry%203.pdf
C3

(I think the science syllabus has changed and the C2 and C3 revision guides are for the old spec and don't exist anymore but they still might be useful for the topics you're stuck on)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision...33NA8AN6EJJXSN

That would be the best revision guide to buy if you wanted to.

Hope this helps!
xoxCooperxox
Rep:
?
OK. And why use an indicator?
Adding an indicator to an acid or alkali will turn the colourless liquid red or purple. To work out when the alkali neutralises. If it starts off purple then you have to add acid until it turns green. The indicator will turn green when the alkali neutralises.
xoxCooperxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by jmuse)
I completed WJEC Chemistry this year and found that the revision notes made by Bangor Uni and the WJEC revision guide to be the most helpful for revision - they're definitely most targeted to the course and exam questions compared to CGP e.t.c

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/GCSE/GC...-1-english.pdf
C1

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/GCSE/GC...mistry%202.pdf
C2

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/GCSE/GC...mistry%203.pdf
C3

(I think the science syllabus has changed and the C2 and C3 revision guides are for the old spec and don't exist anymore but they still might be useful for the topics you're stuck on)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision...33NA8AN6EJJXSN

That would be the best revision guide to buy if you wanted to.

Hope this helps!
Thank you!!! This is going to be so helpful!
jmuse
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you!!! This is going to be so helpful!
Np! And also, once in a while check the Bangor uni page as they might post the year 11 revision guide:https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/gcserevision.php.en

They saved my life during exams so I would really recommend using them for all the sciences! (and its free)
ChemistryWebsite
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Adding an indicator to an acid or alkali will turn the colourless liquid red or purple. To work out when the alkali neutralises. If it starts off purple then you have to add acid until it turns green. The indicator will turn green when the alkali neutralises.
Great. The moment of permanent colour change is the end point, the point of exact neutralisation.
So the titration enables you to know when the exact point of neutralisation occurs. This is useful if you want to find the concentration of the acid or alkali.

We never even needed to mention funnels
xoxCooperxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by jmuse)
Np! And also, once in a while check the Bangor uni page as they might post the year 11 revision guide:https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/gcserevision.php.en

They saved my life during exams so I would really recommend using them for all the sciences! (and its free)
Thanks. Hopefully I’ll remember to check it. I’m super forgetful 😹😹
xoxCooperxox
Rep:
?
Great. The moment of permanent colour change is the end point, the point of exact neutralisation.
So the titration enables you to know when the exact point of neutralisation occurs. This is useful if you want to find the concentration of the acid or alkali.

We never even needed to mention funnels
So maybe my teacher isn’t so bad after all. Thanks so much!!!

I remember writing a tiny bit about titration but it doesn’t appear to be in my book anymore.
jmuse
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks. Hopefully I’ll remember to check it. I’m super forgetful 😹😹
Haha don't worry I'm sure you will!

Are you in year 10 or 11 may I ask?
xoxCooperxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by jmuse)
Haha don't worry I'm sure you will!

Are you in year 10 or 11 may I ask?
11 set 1. I’ve never been that good at chemistry though xD
ChemistryWebsite
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So maybe my teacher isn’t so bad after all. Thanks so much!!!

I remember writing a tiny bit about titration but it doesn’t appear to be in my book anymore.
Don't write off your teacher completely, glean what you can from your lessons
Use the various resources you have been been told in this thread; and keep coming back here and asking about the things you don't pick up in your lessons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.15%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.7%
No, but I want to start (173)
35.97%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.28%
No, I chose not to (139)
28.9%