Naym Rahman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m 16 and in sixth form and am looking to be a commercial pilot in the future.

The reason this chat is named RAF is because my family don’t have enough money to pay for my flight lesson so I don’t want to have to put that burden on them but I then found out that by joining the airforce as a pilot you can get paid and learn how to fly at the same time saving you a lot of money and time for the same end goal.

(If anyone has any information about the RAF please comment. )

Anyway I am planning to join the RAF as a reserve whilst I go to university or maybe full time and just skipped university as it’s pretty pointless in my career pathway. My question is how do I tell me ‘traditional’ parents I want to join the Royal Air Force as a pilot without them thinking I’m going to war and shooting missiles and also without crushing their dreams of me becoming either a lawyer dentist or doctor
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Naym Rahman)
Hi, I’m 16 and in sixth form and am looking to be a commercial pilot in the future.

The reason this chat is named RAF is because my family don’t have enough money to pay for my flight lesson so I don’t want to have to put that burden on them but I then found out that by joining the airforce as a pilot you can get paid and learn how to fly at the same time saving you a lot of money and time for the same end goal.

(If anyone has any information about the RAF please comment. )

Anyway I am planning to join the RAF as a reserve whilst I go to university or maybe full time and just skipped university as it’s pretty pointless in my career pathway. My question is how do I tell me ‘traditional’ parents I want to join the Royal Air Force as a pilot without them thinking I’m going to war and shooting missiles and also without crushing their dreams of me becoming either a lawyer dentist or doctor
i'm afraid this isn't really a practical plan. To join the RAF is highly competitive, probably more so than civil aviation, and you almost certainly will be going to war and quite possibly shooting missiles along the way. You need to do 12 years before you can leave, and you don't get your civilian licences automatically anyway. If you want to be a civil pilot, then try the various flying scholarship schemes and then look at civil flying academies etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads