Gabzinc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Just want to survey whether I am stupid, or this question is:

"Tuberculosis (TB) is a lung disease spread through the air.
Suggest a possible reason why the widespread use of condoms might help reduce the incidence of TB in a population."

The answer is logical and makes perfect sense, but I can't help but feel the question is a little... 'out there'.

I kind of want to see whether you guys can answer the question (correctly). I'll post the answer once someone gets it right.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Although the usual mode of transmission of TB is by droplet infection, the Mycoplasma bacterium also disseminates itself elsewhere throughout the body via blood and lymph as well as by direct spread (you can get tuberculous meningitis or tuberculous granulomas in the liver, etc), so it can reach the sex organs and be transmitted during sexual intercourse - hence, the use of condoms might prevent its spread and therefore its becoming pandemic.

(btw, in a suggest Q, marks are awarded for a wider range of sensible answers.)
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gabzinc)
Just want to survey whether I am stupid, or this question is:

"Tuberculosis (TB) is a lung disease spread through the air.
Suggest a possible reason why the widespread use of condoms might help reduce the incidence of TB in a population."

The answer is logical and makes perfect sense, but I can't help but feel the question is a little... 'out there'.

I kind of want to see whether you guys can answer the question (correctly). I'll post the answer once someone gets it right.
Is this question even real lol?

I would say "The widespread use of condoms would result in lower infection rates of HIV amongst populations. Those living with HIV have a weakened immune system and so are more likely to become infected with pulmonary TB as it is an airborne disease. Therefore, condoms resulting in fewer cases of HIV would result in fewer people developing TB as the risk factor of HIV would not be as prevalent."

That is the ONLY possible thing I can think of, and it seems like a huge jump to make, but idk.
Gabzinc
Rep:
?
(Original post by jsg9)
Is this question even real lol?

I would say "The widespread use of condoms would result in lower infection rates of HIV amongst populations. Those living with HIV have a weakened immune system and so are more likely to become infected with pulmonary TB as it is an airborne disease. Therefore, condoms resulting in fewer cases of HIV would result in fewer people developing TB as the risk factor of HIV would not be as prevalent."

That is the ONLY possible thing I can think of, and it seems like a huge jump to make, but idk.
Well yup, this was the answer! *ding ding* It makes sense in context but if I had that thrown at me in an exam I would be thrown off and I'll probably mess up the rest of the exam :/

It really does seem like a huge jump but as I said, it's logical. I guess this sort of question was meant only for those that can think perceptively.
Gabzinc
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatelgh)
Although the usual mode of transmission of TB is by droplet infection, the Mycoplasma bacterium also disseminates itself elsewhere throughout the body via blood and lymph as well as by direct spread (you can get tuberculous meningitis or tuberculous granulomas in the liver, etc), so it can reach the sex organs and be transmitted during sexual intercourse - hence, the use of condoms might prevent its spread and therefore its becoming pandemic.

(btw, in a suggest Q, marks are awarded for a wider range of sensible answers.)
I don't deny that this could be/is a correct answer (I have no idea, but it probably is) but I just went by what the textbook says. Unfortunately the textbook only provided one answer :/
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well yup, this was the answer! *ding ding* It makes sense in context but if I had that thrown at me in an exam I would be thrown off and I'll probably mess up the rest of the exam :/

It really does seem like a huge jump but as I said, it's logical. I guess this sort of question was meant only for those that can think perceptively.
Yeah there's no way in an exam situation many people would be able to come up with that, myself likely included - just a huge wtf.

Was this in an exam past paper or in a text book?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

That question is what my teachers would have called a grade A question. Good to have but I would hope it was only worth two marks.
pfdavina
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jsg9)
Yeah there's no way in an exam situation many people would be able to come up with that, myself likely included - just a huge wtf.

I'm my college my teacher has explicitly outlined the link between TB and HIV. So it's not really a matter of understanding, just exposure to that type of question/the link between them.
Gabzinc
Rep:
?
(Original post by jsg9)

Textbook, as one of those practice questions you get at the end of the page :/ not quite sure what that means for the chance of it being an actual exam question, but then again I'm not familiar with the new Biology A Level papers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.22%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (49)
27.22%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.33%

Watched Threads