The Student Room Group

Should women's sports get as much media coverage as men's?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone would think football was the only sport the existed. The OP asked if "womens sport" should get as much coverage and most of the answers "probably male" start banging on about football.
It's a bit weird. Nobody's interested because it's not covered as much, and it's not covered as much because nobody's interested. It's probably promoted beyond it's interest level already because equality or w/e, and that in turn is generating more interest in it but not enough that the Big Boiz™ will want to cover it.

It might be that the women's game is somehow worse to watch, but I've never seen it so can't really comment.
Original post by wiseguy99
Anyone would think football was the only sport the existed. The OP asked if "womens sport" should get as much coverage and most of the answers "probably male" start banging on about football.

The answer is still no.
No. They're not as athletic and it's like watching the men's version in slo-mo.

Ronda Rousey was alright for a time, but then she was defeated and back to slo-mo.
It's a buiness, so it depends on how large the audience/demand is

Currently there is little consumer interest, so why would media coverage be high?

Well, football gets by far the most coverage of any sport in the UK, is the biggest sport in the UK and most people in the UK have a basic understanding of football so it makes sense that football would be the most used example. Football is popular all around the UK, the same can't really be said of any other sport
No, it's already promoted so much yet not many people watch it. There's no point in the media forcibly giving it more coverage if people just aren't as interested in it. Some things just are how they are, it's not always a sexist conspiracy.
(edited 6 years ago)

Because football is by far the most popular sport to watch in the UK.
It's impossible unless viewership increases. You can't really expect broadcasters like Sky and BT, who pay billions of pounds for the rights show men's football, to take a massive financial hit to even things up.

I have nothing against the idea in theory. But it just isn't popular enough currently. Not at highest level, nor at grassroots level. And it's hardly the job of the broadcasters to popularise it. They're just companies responding to demand in order to make money.

There needs to be more focus on getting girls into football before you can even begin to consider placing the men's and women's game side by side.
I know loads of guys who are bodybuilders in their spare time and are fairly lax in their diet, training etc. They easily beat female records (accounting for weight differences when necessary as a 200kg guy has an obvious advantage). Men are just so much stronger.
Reply 30
Absolutely, yes. I play women’s rugby and having the World Cup on prime time TV this year was AMAZING, but there’s a long way still to go.
Reply 31
For the simple fact the players have a vagina? No absolutely not. It should solely be based on popularity, not having it rammed down our throats for some horse **** PC reason.
Original post by CTLevers
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe male sports have a greater amount of media coverage due to the greater demand for sponsorship advertisement.
E.g. Redbull will gain a greater amount of publicity if they advertise at a male football match compared to a female one. More people watch the male sports so there's much greater potential exposure to their brand. Therefore the brand will be more willing to pay the company covering the event to broadcast the sports event.

Let me get this straight: you think football clubs/their sponsors actually pay Sky to show their games?

Lol
It's always dumbed down to make it suitable for the weaker sex. Why would anyone want to watch it? (Rhetorical?)
Original post by nexttime
Let me get this straight: you think football clubs/their sponsors actually pay Sky to show their games?

Lol

Sponsors,Yes? I did say correct me if I'm wrong :tongue: Educate me if you know better :wink:
Reply 35
I think very much so

women are daily undertaking maternally leave and must focus on bringing another life into our ,the planet ,whom could become someone them self whom self self's could be an media accaihiny ,alamy excrete.
Nicholas Leslie . of Ticehurst (Flimwell.
Everyone saying that women's sports are played at a lower standard are sorely mistaken to generalise like this.
Women's tennis is probably one of the only sports that has a fairly equal amount of funding/sponsorship/competitions/airing on tv but demonstrates that women absolutely can play at an elite level in sports.
Women's football is the example many comments are using, but if I may: women's football is at a 'lower standard' because it receives less funding, the players are unable to train as extensively, many players even playing at elite levels have sport as a part-time job because they are paid a fraction of the amount men are. I agree that the reason for this is money, as sponsors and tv channels want to make the most profit, but it is a vicious cycle in that if women's sport is continually cast aside in this way, there will be no change.
This all stems from the history of women being perceived as the weaker sex, but we need to break these stereotypes. So yes, I think women's sports should get more coverage, and I think they would be watched by people. Imagine all the little girls and all the women who will be inspired by it!
Original post by CTLevers
Sponsors,Yes? I did say correct me if I'm wrong :tongue: Educate me if you know better :wink:

I linked an article about the literal billions TV companies pay to be able to show the premier league!
Original post by moonwilt
Everyone saying that women's sports are played at a lower standard are sorely mistaken to generalise like this.
Women's tennis is probably one of the only sports that has a fairly equal amount of funding/sponsorship/competitions/airing on tv but demonstrates that women absolutely can play at an elite level in sports.

But women's tennis is still a lower standard.

Women's football is the example many comments are using, but if I may: women's football is at a 'lower standard' because it receives less funding, the players are unable to train as extensively, many players even playing at elite levels have sport as a part-time job because they are paid a fraction of the amount men are. I agree that the reason for this is money, as sponsors and tv channels want to make the most profit, but it is a vicious cycle in that if women's sport is continually cast aside in this way, there will be no change.

No. It's at a lower standard because they aren't as good as men.

This all stems from the history of women being perceived as the weaker sex, but we need to break these stereotypes. So yes, I think women's sports should get more coverage, and I think they would be watched by people. Imagine all the little girls and all the women who will be inspired by it!

The idea that anything men can do women can do as well, is just not true in sport.
Original post by moonwilt

I was under the impression that the WTA tournaments generate significantly less revenue than ATP tournaments? Viewing figures, spectators, sponsorship is much lower in WTA compared to ATP.

The only times when women get more equal "attention" is a slam or a Masters with both genders present at the same time, where the women's event piggybacks off the success of the men's.

The standard of women's tennis is absolutely nowhere near men's tennis.

Quick Reply

Latest