The Student Room Group

Stating my anxiety on ucas?

Hello,

I've nearly finished my ucas application and under the health/disability part I stated that I have anxiety (which falls under the depression/anxiety/schizophrenia section). I've been diagnosed by two different professionals (I believe I have a note from one of them disclosing my mental health issues). I've been told that my anxiety is moderate, however it is not serious enough to require medication.

My anxiety doesn't really affect my education, I do get incredibly stressed sometimes but I feel that it is because I do an Art/Design A Level which literally takes over everyone's lives in terms of workload. I'm usually fine in exams and my grades are quite consistent, my anxiety mainly affects me in other ways e.g. otherthinking everything, worrying about what people think of me etc.

I'm worried if I put this on my application the universities will be a bit concerned and perhaps favour other applicants who don't have a mental health disorder. My top choice is a Russell Group, and as they are research intensive I'm worried they'll think I won't be able to cope with the workload?

If someone could give me advice that would be great, thanks :smile:
Original post by DrawMeSomething
Hello,

I've nearly finished my ucas application and under the health/disability part I stated that I have anxiety (which falls under the depression/anxiety/schizophrenia section). I've been diagnosed by two different professionals (I believe I have a note from one of them disclosing my mental health issues). I've been told that my anxiety is moderate, however it is not serious enough to require medication.

My anxiety doesn't really affect my education, I do get incredibly stressed sometimes but I feel that it is because I do an Art/Design A Level which literally takes over everyone's lives in terms of workload. I'm usually fine in exams and my grades are quite consistent, my anxiety mainly affects me in other ways e.g. otherthinking everything, worrying about what people think of me etc.

I'm worried if I put this on my application the universities will be a bit concerned and perhaps favour other applicants who don't have a mental health disorder. My top choice is a Russell Group, and as they are research intensive I'm worried they'll think I won't be able to cope with the workload?

Universities can't discriminate so they won't make any assumptions with how you can cope with the course because of it, they'll just send you information about potential support if you want to take it.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawMeSomething
Hello,

They won't discriminate you because of it. But you might get more emails from your chosen uni enquiring more about your anxiety so that they can support you best they can.
I put it on my UCAS application and got an interview from an RG. It's best to put it down so that the universities know who may need extra support rather than that they're going to reject you based on an illness.
Honestly, put it down. I had the same talk to a inclusion adviser at a university I visited a few months ago. I said I felt I might be considered less if I put it, but she said to me I should. It means that you are already in the support teams radar before you go and you don't need to mess around with trying to arrange to talk to them to tell them that you have anxiety. If they discriminate against you that's illegal and action can be taken, so for your own benefit put it down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending