cmh1809
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What I wanted to ask is what branch of mathematics do I need to know before studying those modules? I hear so many mixed things. I'm just spending 20 hours a week at the moment revising material from MU123. Just want to make sure I put my focus in the correct sections.

Regarding the Physics module S217: can it be studied without any previous science knowledge? Of course I know about the maths needed. I'm just looking for anything I can read before hand to bring me up to speed. My knowledge is fairly simple and I've learned most from watching TV programs and reading books that are designed to be read as entertainment. I just don't want to start S217 next October and wonder what the hell I'm reading about ha.

Just wanted to say that I will be studying these modules regardless as I'm on the Open Plus scheme. So I'm not really after any study planning advice.

Any help I'd be forever grateful
sputum
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cmh1809)
What I wanted to ask is what branch of mathematics do I need to know before studying those modules? I hear so many mixed things. I'm just spending 20 hours a week at the moment revising material from MU123. Just want to make sure I put my focus in the correct sections.

Regarding the Physics module S217: can it be studied without any previous science knowledge? Of course I know about the maths needed. I'm just looking for anything I can read before hand to bring me up to speed. My knowledge is fairly simple and I've learned most from watching TV programs and reading books that are designed to be read as entertainment. I just don't want to start S217 next October and wonder what the hell I'm reading about ha.

Just wanted to say that I will be studying these modules regardless as I'm on the Open Plus scheme. So I'm not really after any study planning advice.

Any help I'd be forever grateful
1 I think MU123 will be fine.

2 I think they might assume some L1 science (maybe S111? I don't kow the science modules too well.) You might get some ideas from 'Are you ready for S217.'
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You might find the maths skills book helpful
cmh1809
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Cheers for the responses. Anyone any idea what I can read before s217 to bring me up to speed?
Rover11235
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want to prepare for these modules, just pick up any A-level physics/maths book.
Davidswift9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Modern Classical Physics by Kip Thorne (there's a free version online)
University Physics with Modern Physics by Hugh D Young (best option)
Electrodynamics by Griffiths (third year)
Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths (third year)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (36)
15.58%
I'm not sure (8)
3.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (85)
36.8%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (98)
42.42%

Watched Threads