TaylerGIbson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! My first post so bare with me.

I’ve enrolled in S111 (pending student loan, which I understand takes forever) and am curious on what this entails. I’d like to know what to expect, what subjects are covered and what I should start revising before it starts.

I’d love your opinions on this course and to find out how easy you found it as I haven’t studied since GCSE’s. I enrolled expecting them to need grades, personal information etc but it seems anyone can do a degree with OU?

I don’t know, i’m probably overthinking it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!!
imaybesometime
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't tell you what it entails at all, but I am also planing to start this in Jan. Trying to brush up on my maths a bit in preparation, just going though GCSE text books to make sure I an confident in that and have read through the suggested water module on open learn.Did you do the are you ready quiz? It gives some pointers on what we need to know beforehand.
Troska
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm starting this is January too! It's most likely just a generic introduction into all the sciences to ease you into learning. The second year is when you get the more interesting subjects!
PauiP
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It contains general science topics with a little maths. The aims of this module seem to be to give students a chance to look at other areas to see if they would like to consider other routes, It also allows students to compare approaches of the different sciences and look at some areas of overlap. There are some key skills that are developed or encouraged such as how to present mathematics in an assignment, how to summarise, how to reference etc etc. There are also some personal development items (approx 5% of the marks) such as thinking about your own development, not just academic, which involves creating a personal plan. The modules are at a level that gently allows students unfamiliar with academic study to enter the course, which can be a little frustrating for more experienced students. Even experienced students gain some benefit from the course through looking at other areas and how to present their work. Topics studied include Arithmetic, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, some food science and some astrophysics with some experiments to do at home. Each intake can have different topics, but the broad topics should be consistent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (332)
34.44%
No (632)
65.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed