The Student Room Group

Leaving University After First Year! Student Finance!

Hi everyone,

I am leaving the university after completing my first year of an undergraduate (3 years degree course).

I would be applying again next year for a different degree course with the foundation year (4 years degree course) after taking a gap!

Does it mean that I will have to fund myself the first year of my new (4 years degree course), as I've already taken 1 year of student finance for my current degree course?
Original post by Ultimate12570
Hi everyone,

I am leaving the university after completing my first year of an undergraduate (3 years degree course).

I would be applying again next year for a different degree course with the foundation year (4 years degree course) after taking a gap!

Does it mean that I will have to fund myself the first year of my new (4 years degree course), as I've already taken 1 year of student finance for my current degree course?

Hi Ultimate12570,

The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study. Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if you are studying a 4 year course and you have 1 year previous study, you will have 4 years funding remaining to complete the 4 year course as long as you do not transfer or repeat any future years of study.

Thanks

Louise
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi Ultimate12570,

The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study. Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if you are studying a 4 year course and you have 1 year previous study, you will have 4 years funding remaining to complete the 4 year course as long as you do not transfer or repeat any future years of study.

Thanks

Louise

Dear Louise,

Thanks for your reply.

I would also like to know about repaying the tuition fee and maintaince loans.

I will be leaving the university by the end of December 2017 after completing my first year, as I started my current (3 years undergraduate degree course) in January 2017.

However, I will going back to the same university next year in September 2018 to study a different course (4 years degree course including foundation year). Therefor, I will have to wait until September 2018 to start my new degree course!

Does it mean that I will have to pay back my existing tution fee and maintenance loans to SFE, as I'm having a gap in my studies before I start my new (4 years degree course)???

Thanks,

Ultimate12570
Dear Louise,

Thanks for your reply.

I would also like to know about repaying the tuition fee and maintaince loans.

I will be leaving the university by the end of December 2017 after completing my first year, as I started my current (3 years undergraduate degree course) in January 2017.

However, I will going back to the same university next year in September 2018 to study a different course (4 years degree course including foundation year). Therefor, I will have to wait until September 2018 to start my new degree course!

Does it mean that I will have to pay back my existing tution fee and maintenance loans to SFE, as I'm having a gap in my studies before I start my new (4 years degree course)???

Thanks,

Ultimate12570

Hi Ultimate12570,

You enter repayments in the April after you graduate or otherwise leave the course.

So if you withdraw from the course in December 2017, you would enter repayments April 2018. However, if you don't earn over the threshold then you won't make any repayments.

If your withdrawal from the course results in an overpayment, you may be expected to start repaying this straight away.

Regards,

Stuart
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi Ultimate12570,

You enter repayments in the April after you graduate or otherwise leave the course.

So if you withdraw from the course in December 2017, you would enter repayments April 2018. However, if you don't earn over the threshold then you won't make any repayments.

If your withdrawal from the course results in an overpayment, you may be expected to start repaying this straight away.

Regards,

Stuart

Dear Stuart,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please advice, how much is the income threshold?

Thanks
Dear Stuart,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please advice, how much is the income threshold?

Thanks

Hi Ultimate12570,

The threshold for making repayments is currently £21,000 per year.

Regards,

Stuart
Hi,I’m in a similar situation kind of. I want to drop out of university soon but am on Christmas break and don’t come back till the end of January but I receive my maintance loan on the 3rd of January. What happenes if I leave before my course ends and will I have to pay my maintance loan back straight away
Original post by Teefrancesca
Hi,I’m in a similar situation kind of. I want to drop out of university soon but am on Christmas break and don’t come back till the end of January but I receive my maintance loan on the 3rd of January. What happenes if I leave before my course ends and will I have to pay my maintance loan back straight away

Hi Teefrancesca,

If you leave your course prior to the next loan payment in January then this would have to be repaid back straight away , as you are only entitled to receive funding for the time you are on the course.
If you know that you are not going to be returning to the course after Christmas , I would suggest that you contact Student Finance and we can block your future Maintenance Loan payments, so that you do not receive them and that will stop you from going into loan overpayment .

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending