The Student Room Group

Investing in Cryptocurrencies

Hi guys, so recently with me starting to upgrade my PC and stuff, i've been thinking about the possibilities of buying or mining either bitcoin or ethereum. I know my GPU isnt anywhere near powerful enough for bitcoin but i heard that ethereum is still very GPU oriented. I just wanted to get some advice on what would currently be the best cryptocurrency to invest in, obviously i know its very volatile and unpredictable but there must be something to help me or possible suggestions for good places to research this stuff. I currently don't have a job so i can't really afford to invest in cryptocurrencies right now but when i get the money i was thinking of doing that. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Invest in Electroneum. It’s just been launched and is already up 1000% since the ICO. Was $0.01 each now $0.10!!! Many think Electroneum will be the cryptocurrency of the year next year. It’s the first UK cryptocurrency too.
Original post by mattymoo432
Invest in Electroneum. It’s just been launched and is already up 1000% since the ICO. Was $0.01 each now $0.10!!! Many think Electroneum will be the cryptocurrency of the year next year. It’s the first UK cryptocurrency too.

how do i go about beginning to invest in it? its only 10p each??
Original post by killerjayko
how do i go about beginning to invest in it? its only 10p each??

You can buy on Cryptopia.

It’s $0.10 each so about 8p!!!!! Buy buy buy
You can buy on Cryptopia.

It’s $0.10 each so about 8p!!!!! Buy buy buy

do i need any sort of software on my pc to do it? like a "wallet"
if so ill do it when im home as im not st my pc right now
do i need any sort of software on my pc to do it? like a "wallet"

You just deposit into cryptopia and buy ETN.

I swear there mobile app is ****ed atm 😂. How much would I get from mining with one desktop GPU roughly per day? (Rx 480)
Reply 8
Everyone is trying to shill their crypto currencies at you, do some proper research only buy ICOs you have a full understand of, and actually believe will succeed or rise in value. Not all coins succeed and you can lose a lot of money if you don’t know what you’re doing. Mining is likely not very viable on your PC although if you’re really interested you could build a mining rig out of multiple GPUs.
Original post by FenixZ
Everyone is trying to shill their crypto currencies at you, do some proper research only buy ICOs you have a full understand of, and actually believe will succeed or rise in value. Not all coins succeed and you can lose a lot of money if you don’t know what you’re doing. Mining is likely not very viable on your PC although if you’re really interested you could build a mining rig out of multiple GPUs.

what would you suggest as a good place to start?
Hi guys, so recently with me starting to upgrade my PC and stuff, i've been thinking about the possibilities of buying or mining either bitcoin or ethereum. I know my GPU isnt anywhere near powerful enough for bitcoin but i heard that ethereum is still very GPU oriented. I just wanted to get some advice on what would currently be the best cryptocurrency to invest in, obviously i know its very volatile and unpredictable but there must be something to help me or possible suggestions for good places to research this stuff. I currently don't have a job so i can't really afford to invest in cryptocurrencies right now but when i get the money i was thinking of doing that. Thanks :smile:

Hi, even Ethereum is very difficult to mine and you'll need at least 6 high end GPUs to make a reasonable profit and then you need to consider the cost of electricity, if one of your cards breaks, you'll need a spare room or a basement to run the system because it will get very hot etc etc. Plus Ethereum is moving to a proof of stake system hopefully within the next 2 years so your GPUs won't be able to mine Ethereum anymore.

My advice is if you want to get involved in crypto then it's better to just buy the crypto with the money you would have spent on the hardware, assuming you're an average Joe like the rest of us.

Mining is only very profitable in certain countries where electricity is very cheap, even free in some places. Also be cautious of people recklessly telling you to buy a certain coin, do your own research and make sure you fully understand what you're buying before buying it. Best of luck to you.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Hi, even Ethereum is very difficult to mine and you'll need at least 6 high end GPUs to make a reasonable profit and then you need to consider the cost of electricity, if one of your cards breaks, you'll need a spare room or a basement to run the system because it will get very hot etc etc. Plus Ethereum is moving a proof of stake system hopefully within the next 2 years so your GPUs won't be able to mine Ethereum anymore.

My advice is if you want to get involved in crypto then it's better to just buy the crypto with the money you would have spent on the hardware, assuming you're an average Joe like the rest of us.

Mining is only very profitable in certain countries where electricity is very cheap, even free in some places. Also be cautious of people recklessly telling you to buy a certain coin, do your own research and make sure you fully understand what you're buying before buying it. Best of luck to you.

any good places to start resesrching? and any suggestions of good currencies to look in to? i dont have a tonne of money right now so itd be great if there was no minimum deposit or at least a very small one, thanks :smile:
Reply 12
Perhaps researching looking at the cryptocurrency Reddit page, each individual coin will likely have their own subreddit although you have to be weary that all the advice will likely be bullish and biased. Personally I’m interested in Ethereum which is an alternative to bitcoin, good subreddits on ethereum include ethereum and ethtrader. You could also check out a forum called bitcointalk which will have loads of advice
any good places to start resesrching? and any suggestions of good currencies to look in to? i dont have a tonne of money right now so itd be great if there was no minimum deposit or at least a very small one, thanks :smile:

You can use this website https://coinmarketcap.com/ and click on each coin and visit the website. There you can read up about it, what it's aiming for and the development team etc.

I personally am invested in Bitcoin, Ethereum and OmiseGo but there are many different coins. I only invest in coins I fully believe in and understand. I'm currently researching Raiden and might make a small investment in that one also.

Most exchanges don't have deposit restrictions assuming you're investing at least like $10 or something. The buying process can be a bit complicated as most of these coins cannot be bought with fiat currency so you'll typically have to buy ethereum or bitcoin first with fiat, then transfer that to a another exchange which trades pairs and then you can trade your bitcoin or ethereum for one of those coins.
You can use this website https://coinmarketcap.com/ and click on each coin and visit the website. There you can read up about it, what it's aiming for and the development team etc.

I personally am invested in Bitcoin, Ethereum and OmiseGo but there are many different coins. I only invest in coins I fully believe in and understand. I'm currently researching Raiden and might make a small investment in that one also.

Most exchanges don't have deposit restrictions assuming you're investing at least like $10 or something. The buying process can be a bit complicated as most of these coins cannot be bought with fiat currency so you'll typically have to buy ethereum or bitcoin first with fiat, then transfer that to a another exchange which trades pairs and then you can trade your bitcoin or ethereum for one of those coins.

Is IOTA any good? its got quite a low price and ive seen a few topics on reddit that im gonna start reading, honestly id ideally be spending >£10 maybe even 5 just to test the waters for now and see what happens

Original post by Ryanthom100
I swear there mobile app is ****ed atm 😂. How much would I get from mining with one desktop GPU roughly per day? (Rx 480)

I can't get the app to anything at all, is there a rough estimate when it will be working? I want to invest in it as soon as I can.
Original post by Glassapple
I can't get the app to anything at all, is there a rough estimate when it will be working? I want to invest in it as soon as I can.

There was a cyber attack so there servers are being re-released. The attack was severe apparently. To answer ur question, I have no idea when they will be up again lol
Is IOTA any good? its got quite a low price and ive seen a few topics on reddit that im gonna start reading, honestly id ideally be spending >£10 maybe even 5 just to test the waters for now and see what happens

IOTA is basically a machine to machine payment network, very futuristic and it recently partnered up with Microsoft and a few other companies so the price ballooned by over 1000% in a 1 month but is coming back down a bit now. I don't know much about this coin in particular though.
IOTA is basically a machine to machine payment network, very futuristic and it recently partnered up with Microsoft and a few other companies so the price ballooned by over 1000% in a 1 month but is coming back down a bit now. I don't know much about this coin in particular though.

know of any reliable ones that i can get a decent amount of for a small price?
Bitfinex or Binance and the price will basically be the same, maybe a few pennies difference.

This isn't Ebay lol, you can't just get discounts or whatever, the price is the price man.

Latest

Trending

Trending