Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've just received feedback for a piece of university coursework, in which my lecturer said I had mixed referencing styles. She included this as one of only three points for correction on the summary sheet. I replied, politely explaining that I had not referenced incorrectly, and quoting the university referencing guide. She agreed that this was, in fact, correct, but said that it will not have affected my mark so is not worth changing.
    Is she lying so that I do not escalate this further to try and get my mark changed, as she would get in trouble for not knowing the correct referencing procedure? Or is it true that no marks are awarded or deducted for correct referencing? I am in my third year of an English Literature degree.

ReputationRep:
    You're in your 3rd year, grades in coursework matter. I would politely send an email to the head of your course/department and ask them if incorrect referencing affects the awarded grade. See what their response is and take it from there Better to be safe than sorry.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by gemma1096)
    Hi all,

I've just received feedback for a piece of university coursework, in which my lecturer said I had mixed referencing styles. She included this as one of only three points for correction on the summary sheet. I replied, politely explaining that I had not referenced incorrectly, and quoting the university referencing guide. She agreed that this was, in fact, correct, but said that it will not have affected my mark so is not worth changing.
    Is she lying so that I do not escalate this further to try and get my mark changed, as she would get in trouble for not knowing the correct referencing procedure? Or is it true that no marks are awarded or deducted for correct referencing? I am in my third year of an English Literature degree.
    How would we know whether she is lying as we have no idea how she marked your paper. If you believe you lost marks or want a remark, then get appealing. If you think she is lying to you, then raise that issue as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How would we know whether she is lying as we have no idea how she marked your paper. If you believe you lost marks or want a remark, then get appealing. If you think she is lying to you, then raise that issue as well.
    I am asking whether anyone has any knowledge of university marking, and whether it is true that referencing does not impact your mark. I am obviously not asking you to comment on the way she has marked my paper.

ReputationRep:
    You're a finalist. You should know what the mark scheme is. How would you expect us to know?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I am asking whether anyone has any knowledge of university marking, and whether it is true that referencing does not impact your mark. I am obviously not asking you to comment on the way she has marked my paper.
    Universities are not exam boards. Each uni will mark differently. If you have been explicitly told that correct referencing is or isn't part of your grade criteria then there is your answer. If you've not been told either way then you need to find out.

If my university expects referencing in work, they expect it done correctly. Failure to do so will mean I can't get full marks for the section where referencing is relevant. It may or may not be a dedicated marks section for referencing. Your university (and course, and teacher for that matter) may well work differently.

And as others have said, we don't have enough information to know the answer. Odds are, referencing is relevant and does affect marks. But that doesn't just immediately mean your teacher is lying to you. You need to find out for yourself what the exact policy is on marking. It might well be that your referencing gives you an extra mark (from mostly correct to fully correct) and that overall doesn't change anything. It might be a grade boundary mark. The only way you'll find out is by asking someone that knows the answer
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You are at the uni. You know what the referencing issue was. You know what the referencing guidelines are. You are in the best position to know. Ask for a remark if you arent happy. Normally papers are marked by two people anyway.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by username1091948)
    Hi all,

Were you given a rubric or an assessment criteria? In my own essays at uni, referencing is a marked part of the assignments and I would get marked down if the references weren't correct. Double check the assessment criteria, and if not then email the module leader to double check.

As someone else pointed out, they may get moderated by another lecturer too, but it's worth checking when it's your final year!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.