The Student Room Group

DSA Travel Allowance

Hi everyone,

Does anyone on here know anything about the DSA travel allowance and what it is for?

Is it just for travel within your University city or can it be used for the extra costs associated with term time trips home due to a disability?

I have Aspergers that affects me so severely that I have been awarded PIP for it.

This term I have been struggling a lot with the pressure and demands of Uni and have been travelling home quite a few times. It's not the case all of the time, but most of the time, especially when I feel a bit down, I tend to be better at writing essays at home, so travel home.

Would I be eligible to apply for the DSA travel allowance to cover these costs (submitting medical evidence from my GP that would support this request)?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

Does anyone on here know anything about the DSA travel allowance and what it is for?

Is it just for travel within your University city or can it be used for the extra costs associated with term time trips home due to a disability?

I have Aspergers that affects me so severely that I have been awarded PIP for it.

This term I have been struggling a lot with the pressure and demands of Uni and have been travelling home quite a few times. It's not the case all of the time, but most of the time, especially when I feel a bit down, I tend to be better at writing essays at home, so travel home.

Would I be eligible to apply for the DSA travel allowance to cover these costs (submitting medical evidence from my GP that would support this request)?

DSA is for costs related to uni. Surely, this is what your PIP is for? And if you're travelling by train, you're now able to get a disabled persons railcard. Unlike with the student railcard, there are no restrictions in regards to when it can be used.
Reply 2
No, you can't get the Travel Allowance for trips between your term time residence to your home to receive support from your family, feel better working at home etc.

Quick Reply

Latest