The Student Room Group

Do you think children who commit SERIOUS offences should be given adult sentences?

If you are 10 years old and commit murder, then yes you should.
Original post by Persona5

On what basis is that judgement justified?

It's necessary to consider not only the circumstances of a crime, but also the mental capacity and reasoning in committing the offence of the offender.
Children, by nature are less developed cognitively than adults, so why would a Court not take this into consideration when sentencing a child in comparison to an adult for a serious offence?
If they're a public hazard, yes.

If they have a condition, that can be moderated with treatment.
Kids do stupid things and yes, most kids don't do stupid things to the point of murder and that indicates a mental health problem or personality disorder imo, but I don't think they should get life in prison or 20+ years. They should be put on a register and have it on their criminal record and spend time in a rehabilitation unit for a long time. I think that's punishment enough, as well as the social stigma they'll have around them for life. However, I do think they need to be stricter as there have been 6 year old boys raping girls in the school playground but nothing is done. I believe they have only now, after protest, put their names on a register, but they do not receive any punishment and they get protected more than the victim.

Moving this to Society.

Original post by Persona5
Original post by Thomas Br
On what basis is that judgement justified?

It's necessary to consider not only the circumstances of a crime, but also the mental capacity and reasoning in committing the offence of the offender.
Children, by nature are less developed cognitively than adults, so why would a Court not take this into consideration when sentencing a child in comparison to an adult for a serious offence?

Hi.

Yes, to me I feel like the strongest 'for' argument is to give justice to the victim's family (if there is a victim - I'm talking murder).

However, I definitely feel that the child's mental capacity does need to be taken into account. Not only this, but I worry that adult sentences may be counterproductive for children. Surely they'll be made to feel like outsiders from a young age. Perhaps this is enough to prevent the child from proper social integration; maybe it will cause them to 'live up' to how they perceive by themselves and by other people - as a criminal.

I've actually written my first blog post on this, but am not going to link it here because I'm genuinely interested in this discussion. If anyone does want to read it though I've put it in the 'about me' section of my profile.
Reply 5
When I say children should, I don't mean children of all ages. I think by 10 years old like the venables case, you should know how people get hurt and have knowledge on the concept of murder. For what they did, they got off way too lightly
Original post by Current Chat
Hi.

Yes, to me I feel like the strongest 'for' argument is to give justice to the victim's family (if there is a victim - I'm talking murder).

However, I definitely feel that the child's mental capacity does need to be taken into account. Not only this, but I worry that adult sentences may be counterproductive for children. Surely they'll be made to feel like outsiders from a young age. Perhaps this is enough to prevent the child from proper social integration; maybe it will cause them to 'live up' to how they perceive by themselves and by other people - as a criminal.

I've actually written my first blog post on this, but am not going to link it here because I'm genuinely interested in this discussion. If anyone does want to read it though I've put it in the 'about me' section of my profile.

Hey there,

That's certainly an interesting argument to make. I absolutely agree with you on the point that an adult's sentence seems somewhat inappropriate upon application to a child offender.

Children, by nature, are more impressionable and less mentally developed than adults, and thus there's a much higher risk of a child becoming 'institutionalised' by a 'serious' sentencing.
As you stated, the impression and way that a child would in turn view themselves following a severe sentencing could only worsen their current mental state, consequently hindering their development and coming to terms with what they have done.

The best way to treat any criminal, albeit a child offender is to look at rehabilitation programmes so as to root the problem out in the first place.

It's certainly a difficult one to call, as the context of the crime must be taken into account, as well as the Child's age and subsequent capacity to reason what is right and wrong.
However, I find it difficult to find justification in sentencing a child in the same way as an adult, as it would only ensure that they stay an offender, and 'criminal' as a result.
Original post by Thomas Br
Hey there,

That's certainly an interesting argument to make. I absolutely agree with you on the point that an adult's sentence seems somewhat inappropriate upon application to a child offender.

Children, by nature, are more impressionable and less mentally developed than adults, and thus there's a much higher risk of a child becoming 'institutionalised' by a 'serious' sentencing.
As you stated, the impression and way that a child would in turn view themselves following a severe sentencing could only worsen their current mental state, consequently hindering their development and coming to terms with what they have done.

The best way to treat any criminal, albeit a child offender is to look at rehabilitation programmes so as to root the problem out in the first place.

It's certainly a difficult one to call, as the context of the crime must be taken into account, as well as the Child's age and subsequent capacity to reason what is right and wrong.
However, I find it difficult to find justification in sentencing a child in the same way as an adult, as it would only ensure that they stay an offender, and 'criminal' as a result.

Yeah, this is definitely the stance I take.
I also think it's a difficult one to call because different people are going to react differently to a given sentence. I know this is obviously true for adult offenders too, but I think ESPECIALLY for children as they are growing and developing and changing constantly.

In the Bulger case, Venables has broken the terms of his sentence since, but Thompson hasn't, for example. It's just incredibly difficult to predict.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending