Math personal statement

Watch this thread
Mightlobster
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
After about 15 drafts, I’ve finally decided to settle with the PS I have now. Although I still don’t feel it’s ‘enough’.

P1: Intro

P2: Studies

P3: STEP and what I gained from preparations

P4: Book “Beyond Infinity”

P5: Book “A mind for numbers”

P6: Volunteer work and part time job

P7: Conclusion

Does my PS include too much extra curricular? If so, what else could I write about?
mohamedben0203
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mightlobster)
After about 15 drafts, I’ve finally decided to settle with the PS I have now. Although I still don’t feel it’s ‘enough’.

Does my PS include too much extra curricular? If so, what else could I write about?
personally I think that conclusions on a PS are a waste of characters so spend this characters talking about your fav maths topic or something along those lines
Mightlobster
Rep:
(Original post by mohamedben0203)
personally I think that conclusions on a PS are a waste of characters so spend this characters talking about your fav maths topic or something along those lines
I already have in the ‘studies’ paragraph.

Is adding outside interests a good idea? Didn’t think it would be on a Math Statement from the ones I’ve read
omarathon
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Two whole paragraphs on books seems a bit much imo.
Mightlobster
Rep:
(Original post by omarathon)
Two whole paragraphs on books seems a bit much imo.
Any substitutes?
Appleorpear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Any substitutes?
I think it's fine for 7 paragraphs to have 2 for books. I mean I know a lot of people who did 4 paragraphs and 2 were basically around books so it's fine.
omarathon
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Any substitutes?
I don't think a substitution is necessary, just expand the other paragraphs so they seem cover everything that needs to be discussed in their areas. The variety of topics seems to cover everything provided you go into enough detail. Personally I'd put both books in one paragraph to save lines but I suppose you could separate them if lines aren't an issue for you.
Appleorpear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I don't think you should separate paragraph 6 and 7. Most people I know did 4-5 paragraphs. 7 will seem ridiculous.

Don't stress ridiculous amounts for it either. You're posting this now so I'm assuming you're not applying to Oxbridge. Maths is known for giving out a lot of offers and not looking too in depth into the statement.
mohamedben0203
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I already have in the ‘studies’ paragraph.

Is adding outside interests a good idea? Didn’t think it would be on a Math Statement from the ones I’ve read
if you managed to have fit in 7 paragraphs then i don't really think you have included enough detail. I applied for computer science with maths and could barely fit in 4 paragraphs.
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It's going to be difficult to fit it in to 7 paragraphs with the line count. It's fine to combine the two books into one paragraph. You don't need a paragraph on your current studies. You do need a conclusion, however
Loralite
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

That looks fine to me my PS was seven paragraphs and seems to have worked, so I wouldn't worry about that too much just make sure you've linked your thought processes together and explained what you thought was interesting about the books you've read in those two paragraphs
Mightlobster
Rep:
(Original post by Interrobang)
It's going to be difficult to fit it in to 7 paragraphs with the line count. It's fine to combine the two books into one paragraph. You don't need a paragraph on your current studies. You do need a conclusion, however
It was a lot more but I condensed all I could, it’s 47 lines exactly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (22)
20.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
11.32%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (7)
6.6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (18)
16.98%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (24)
22.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
21.7%

Watched Threads