Why is Sheffield so low in the league tables?

Watch
JackFin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sheffield seems like it has a lot going for it- Good facilities, Russel group, one of the best students unions and accommodation but it’s 32nd in ‘The complete university guide’ and 40th in the Guardians league tables. Does anyone know why this is? Plus are league tables really that important?
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
League tables are subjective. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to look at them look at 'The Complete University Guide' as they base it on student satisfaction among other things. Also if you must look at it for the course you want to do. Go to the university that has the best course for you, it doesn't matter if it's an RG or Ex Poly.

I've applied to Sheffield because I love the course and the city isn't bad.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kayleighisonfire)
League tables are subjective.
They're not. Quite to the contrary.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to look at them look at 'The Complete University Guide' as they base it on student satisfaction among other things.
You're referring to the Guardian, presumably.

Go to the university that has the best course for you, it doesn't matter if it's an RG or Poly.
Depends on what you plan to do after graduating.

No such thing as polys.
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
They're not. Quite to the contrary.

You're referring to the Guardian, presumably.

Depends on what you plan to do after graduating.

No such thing as polys.
If they aren't subjective then why are most league tables different?

Nope definitely talking about University Guide.

Sorry, ex poly
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=kayleighisonfire;74950074]League tables are subjective. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to look at them look at 'The Complete University Guide' as they base it on student satisfaction among other things. Also if you must look at it for the course you want to do. Go to the university that has the best course for you, it doesn't matter if it's an RG or Poly.

I've applied to Sheffield because I love the course and the city isn't bad.[/QUOTE]

City is amazing ! Really cheap place to live compared to manc and London.

Full of students, gives a really young people vibe to the city, So many bars and a tram network.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If they aren't subjective then why are most league tables different?

Nope definitely talking about University Guide.

Sorry, ex poly
Because they're weighted differently, and because they include slightly different metrics (e.g. % of grads in any old job - CUG - versus % of grads in 'professional' jobs - Guardian). The background numbers are the same.

Sure, you could say that the weighting and selection is done on 'subjective' criteria, but that would be a rather incomplete argument. You then need to go on to prove why a particular weighting is wrong.

The CUG puts the least focus on student satisfaction than the Guardian. The latter puts a total of 25% of its weighting on NSS-related (i.e. student satisfaction-related) metrics. By contrast, CUG only weighs student satisfaction at 17%.

See for yourself: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ity-guide-2017 vs https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/methodology/
TraporAC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We are greezy, they are neeky
Spoiler:
Show

we are bad & they are not.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
For students the city is great imo. Cheap, friendly and just big enough not to get bored, but small enough not to be overwhelming.

The problem with league tables is that the methods of ranking is down to the publisher, especially the weightings. thats why I would take them with a pinch of salt.

Polys I just believe are shorthand for institutions which used to be polys before the changes. Hard to shake.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads