Do you get over home sickness while at uni?

Watch this thread
yasmin5444
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I’ve never really been away from my family longer than a week by myself and I don’t know how I’m going to cope at uni, as I live in Northern Ireland and I will be going to study in England. Will you ever get over home sickness, and are you able to go home often (holidays)?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I only live two hours from home but I never miss it. I hadn't spent any time alone before and I'm not even going home at christmas.
jelly1000
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yasmin5444)
I’ve never really been away from my family longer than a week by myself and I don’t know how I’m going to cope at uni, as I live in Northern Ireland and I will be going to study in England. Will you ever get over home sickness, and are you able to go home often (holidays)?
Top tip for beating homesickness: keep yourself busy and get into a routine. And its normal for home students to go home during holidays, many will pop home for the odd weekend during term time too.
yasmin5444
Rep:
Thanks for replying and how long would you say summer holidays would be for most unis?
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I understand that worry exactly I had the same one you will experience it at some point absolutely everyone does you'll see people throwing them selves into partying or working out excessively or with drawing into their room (me) it's all home sickness it's not nice while it lasts but just know that it will pass at the most it'll take a couple of weeks you'll kind of need to force you self out there and do stuff like freshers fair and things it'll most likely hit in week 3 Skype your parents and what ever you need to do (do not drop out) if you're having trouble with anything at uni be it home sickness,your girlfriend/boyfriend,stress about exams the student support is second to none they even have drop in support sessions for maths (which i used extensively in my first year.). there are holidays at uni Christmas Easter and Summer The summer one is long (think the break after your GCSE's before A-level then add on a couple of weeks) some courses will also have a reading week basically half term it's designed to give you time to catch up on study or assignments but people generally go home for it and you can see your family then as well.

Also it's not prison you can visit home any time you like for a weekend or whatever.
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I've been at uni for three years now and although I didn't think I would, I did get homesick especially in the first year. Luckily there are loads of ways to keep in contact with home, like phone calls, Face Time and Skype, and you can go home whenever you'd like - at weekends, possibly if you have a reading week, and over holidays which are often 3/4 weeks.

University is a big step, especially when it includes moving far from home, but this challenge will only make you grow as a person and help you to take new opportunities that allow you to be comfortably independent. People react differently to moving away from home, but if you keep yourself occupied and take up all the opportunities you're given, you'll be sure to have a great time and the homesickness will wear off as your new city becomes a second home.

Good luck
yasmin5444
Rep:
Thank you so much for your replies they were most helpful...😊
jelly1000
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for replying and how long would you say summer holidays would be for most unis?
If you aren't doing a health course then typically 3-4 months from May/June-September/October. If you are doing a health course expect to only get two or three weeks off.
nelita
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm an international student from the Czech Republic and I'm studying at Essex. I've lived in my hometown, Pilsen, for 20 years, so I understand your worries – at the same time, it has been my dream to study in England, but at the same time, I was unsure I'd be able to handle it. I ended up actually delaying applying to British unis for a year to sort of prepare myself; I started my studies this October. So what has been my experience so far?

The term is almost over and I'll be going home for the winter break; but I think it's way too soon to leave yet! After I came here, I loved how I could have my own room (something I didn't have back home) and equip it to my own tastes. I live in an en-suite, so I also like having the bathroom all to myself and not waiting for anyone. Also, my parents aren't here to scold me for stuff, so I am more free to do what I want and when I want to do it. This also comes with a full responsibility for my actions (there's no one to blame when I fail at something) and I actually love it! I love being independent, and this has so far been my ultimate learning-how-to-take-care-of-myself experience. My cooking skills have improved so much, I'm better with money... I'm also involved in many activities (alongside my studies, I have a job, great memberships in some societies, I've also done some volunteering that was so much fun) and I've met many new and wonderful people. There just hasn't been time to miss home yet, though I am looking forward to coming back.

So I hope that your experience can be similar, that you won't get too homesick because you'll find great things at your uni to keep you having fun Just don't be afraid to get out there and reach for it.
yasmin5444
Rep:
Thank you, that was very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (21)
19.63%
The paper was reasonable (35)
32.71%
Not feeling great about that exam... (37)
34.58%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
13.08%

Watched Threads