The Student Room Group

How to improve at English Literature?

Could someone give me tips on improving in English literature, I'm currently struggling with analysing the text, I take too long to think about what I'm going to revise and I don't know how to write a grade 7-8
paragraphs.

I recently did a English lit assessment, and I did bad on it, I have really high expectations and i want to excel in all my subjects.
I would recommend Mr Bruff on youtube - he is probably the main reason why I did so well in my GCSEs last year. You should try to get to know the AOs of your exam board so you know what examiners are looking for.

As for revision, figure out the main themes and characters of each text and find about 5 quotes for each, and memorise these quotes. The quotes must all contain a solid technique - like metaphor, alliteration, etc, so you have something to write about. Also, to get the higher band you need to look at structure and sound - so look out for sentence lengths, monosyllabic words, punctuation, etc.

Try to do practice essays and give them to your teachers to mark (if they're kind enough!). Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by alextheowl
I would recommend Mr Bruff on youtube - he is probably the main reason why I did so well in my GCSEs last year. You should try to get to know the AOs of your exam board so you know what examiners are looking for.

As for revision, figure out the main themes and characters of each text and find about 5 quotes for each, and memorise these quotes. The quotes must all contain a solid technique - like metaphor, alliteration, etc, so you have something to write about. Also, to get the higher band you need to look at structure and sound - so look out for sentence lengths, monosyllabic words, punctuation, etc.

Try to do practice essays and give them to your teachers to mark (if they're kind enough!). Good luck!

Would you recommend me to get a revision guide?
Original post by SBizzy
Would you recommend me to get a revision guide?

what exam board u doing?
york notes have good guides
Reply 5
Original post by jamesgillian123
what exam board u doing?

I'm not sure.
Original post by SBizzy
I'm not sure.

you need to find out.
The exams are slightly different for each exam board

Quick Reply

Latest