The Student Room Group
Original post by Tasnim S
What are the pros and cons of consideration in contract law? And what is possible alternative ?

If I promise you I'll help you answer your obligations homework - and then I don't because you haven't offered me anything in return - I'm just being held to a unilateral promise (setting aside ICLR).

Do you think this is a fair situation? Contract is part of law of obligations. If one party has no obligations, is it really a contract?

As for an alternative - think about Wills and Trusts. These are gifting obligations that are unilateral - but they have a particular legal form whereas most contracts don't.
Original post by Trinculo
Ah, this really should be the TSR motto.

Arguable. There are pros and cons to consideration. I just don't want to answer the OPs question for him/her.

If someone is lost, often all they need is to just be nudged in the right direction.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
If someone is lost, often all they need is to just be nudged in the right direction.

That sounds like the text of a motivational poster.
Original post by Trinculo
That sounds like the text of a motivational poster.

No. I am not really known for my patience.

But some time ago a maths PhD was on here asking for advice on estoppel. She made the point that if someone posted their question in a maths forum 20 people would be posting advice, but in law we don't bother. It's not really a fair comparison as in maths they'd give their working, though most on here wouldn't bother to help people even if they did give an outline of their ideas.
Original post by Tasnim S
If this were real life i'd be sure to batter you in the face. Silly *******.

Is that a way to speak to your betters? Do they not teach you manners at Brunel or whatever ****-heap you study at?

And to be honest, a lot of the fundamental stuff we do as law students is not obvious. It takes some getting used to. Having someone quickly explain the answer can give people the confidence to tackle it for themselves next time. However, there are people who do take the piss. I still help them as it means I can procrastinate reading a 100-page Appellate Body judgment, but on principle I shouldn't.
Is that a way to speak to your betters? Do they not teach you manners at Brunel or whatever ****-heap you study at?

LMAO :laugh:
No. I am not really known for my patience.

But some time ago a maths PhD was on here asking for advice on estoppel. She made the point that if someone posted their question in a maths forum 20 people would be posting advice, but in law we don't bother. It's not really a fair comparison as in maths they'd give their working, though most on here wouldn't bother to help people even if they did give an outline of their ideas.

Not just law, but in the politics section too :frown:
Reply 8
I think we've had enough flaming for one day.

Closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending