swadeep
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I am Master's in Electronics & Communication Engineering with 5.8 years of work experience and now i want to pursue with my Phd , but in Management field. Having IELTS academic score- Band 7. Researched few areas which are interesting and trying to have familiarize myself with those terminologies. Is it important to have master's degree in same field for getting admission in Phd.? If yes, then course work is already there then with training's if req.. Can anyone help me with this and guide me. As i'm looking for Phd in UK.
UniofReading
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by swadeep)
Hi,
I am Master's in Electronics & Communication Engineering with 5.8 years of work experience and now i want to pursue with my Phd , but in Management field. Having IELTS academic score- Band 7. Researched few areas which are interesting and trying to have familiarize myself with those terminologies. Is it important to have master's degree in same field for getting admission in Phd.? If yes, then course work is already there then with training's if req.. Can anyone help me with this and guide me. As i'm looking for Phd in UK.
Hello

It looks like you have a lot of good experience and a high score from the IELTS. As I am not a PhD student myself, I am unsure of the answer to your question. I would take a look at the Henley Business School PhD site regarding management type PhD (website https://www.henley.ac.uk/level/postg...-opportunities) for some more information.

I would also e-mail the department to ask your specific question regarding your masters study, their email address is as follows: [email protected]

Hope this helps you, and glad you are considering studying in Reading. If you have anymore questions then we would be happy to help you!

Alice
Food Science Placement Student
UniofReadingPG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
Hi Swadeep,

I'm a PhD student at the University of Reading doing Agricultural and Food Economics. My back ground isn't in Economics and here I am doing my research out of my comfort zone.

My friends who were a dentist and a computer engineer are also doing PhD in Management here at the University of Reading.

I would browse through the Henley Business School website to see their research areas and find potential supervisors. I would read their works and published papers and think if you like it. Then I would contact them alongside research ideas or a proposal.

Graduate School http://www.reading.ac.uk/graduateschool/ also provides useful information.

I was told we are a "limitless" university. So I can choose my research topic based on what I like by not being limited to tight frame. I'm combining my study background and interests of my supervisors and the department I'm in to make my research. And everyone is happy. I've been joining classes and training sessions to strengthen my knowledge and fill in my skill gaps that I need.

So if you decide to go for it, go for it. You will be fine.

Prau
2nd PhD student, Agricultural and Food Economics
swadeep
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
Thanks for the reply & boost up.
I tried contacting the Prof. from Reading University through email but none of them replied in a positive sense due to my Eng. background and suggested me to apply through website. So, can you please help me for this as i don't want to loose my year.

Thanks.

(Original post by UniofReadingPG)
Hi Swadeep,

I'm a PhD student at the University of Reading doing Agricultural and Food Economics. My back ground isn't in Economics and here I am doing my research out of my comfort zone.

My friends who was a dentist and a computer engineer are also doing PhD in Management here at the University of Reading.

I would browse through the Henley Business School website to see their research areas and find potential supervisors. I would read their works and published papers and think if you like it. Then I would contact them alongside research ideas or a proposal.

Graduate School http://www.reading.ac.uk/graduateschool/ also provides useful information.

I was told we are a "limitless" university. So I can choose my research topic based on what I like by not being limited to tight frame. I'm combining my study background and interests of my supervisors and the department I'm in to make my research. And everyone is happy. I've been joining classes and training sessions to strengthen my knowledge and fill in my skill gaps that I need.

So if you decide to go for it, go for it. You will be fine.

Prau
2nd PhD student, Agricultural and Food Economics
UniofReadingPG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
Thanks for the reply & boost up.
I tried contacting the Prof. from Reading University through email but none of them replied in a positive sense due to my Eng. background and suggested me to apply through website. So, can you please help me for this as i don't want to loose my year.

Thanks.
Hi Swadeep,

You are welcome!

Well, I would say try applying through the website in the application portal like what you were suggested. That's what I did as well!

Most of the time it's all about what you propose to work on for your PhD. I would try to propose my research based on any research methodology conducted in Management integrated with some topics of your interests. you might know what you want to work on for at least 3 years? The proposal when you apply is not going to be long. You would need to make it succinct and often the serious proposals will be considered. Please have a look at our Graduate School website that I provided above as well as here from Henley Business School: https://www.henley.ac.uk/school/lead...-and-behaviour. Even though this site is from Leadership, Organisation & Behaviour academic areas within the Henley Business School, it gives you a useful set of information. For more details, please feel free to email them here [email protected]. However, the University is going to be closed for Christmas and New Year Holiday from this Friday and we will resume work on 2nd January. So if you email the University during this time, we try to reply as soon as possible, or you might be answered after New Year.

The above recommendation is based on my experience. I applied directly through the University's website and use information from the Graduate School and Department websites to help me write my research proposal. And I wish you a very good luck! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Prau
2nd year PhD student, Agricultural and Food Economics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.13%
It's just nice to be back! (191)
27.48%
Not great so far... (250)
35.97%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.42%

Watched Threads