The Student Room Group

Is my PS at a disadvantage if I haven’t read a book about my chosen subject?

Everything else seems in order apart from the fact I have not actually read any books.
Reply 1
Original post by 04MR17
Wider reading isn't a necessary requirement at all, it looks very impressive if you do, but it's by no means essential. Oxford and Cambridge highly recommend putting wider reading into your PS, so I'd imagine the more competitive universities you apply to will be the ones who may give other candidates preference due to demonstrating their enthusiasm for the subject. In short, you're not at a disadvantage, it's that anyone who does include wider reading is at an advantage.

If this makes no sense I apologise, it's almost 3am.:redface:

Also, I should say I'm not the world's best PS expert.

But i have read articles, watched documentaries etc. But I just not an actual book
Original post by Fikitty
But i have read articles, watched documentaries etc. But I just not an actual book

What course are you applying for? There's no harm in saying you like the ideas of a particular academic (and say which ideas and why they interest you) without saying "I have read [this book] by [this author] and I think [this] about it"
So you’ve done wider reading and taken a wider interest, just, not read an actual book?

That’s fine. Mention the articles then. You don’t have to explicitly state “I read this but it wasn’t a book”
Original post by Fikitty

Original post by 04MR17
What course are you applying for? There's no harm in saying you like the ideas of a particular academic (and say which ideas and why they interest you) without saying "I have read [this book] by [this author] and I think [this] about it"

Wider reading is actually a key part of the PS though you don't have to have read a book per se. Articles, documentaries etc are fine. Without it you wouldn't have much else to talk about otherwise as you don't need to talk about your current studies.

@04MR17 have removed your post due to incorrect advice. When it doubt best to leave the question please :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending