Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What are your worst personality traits? watch

ReputationRep:
    ...and how would you like to improve them?

I wanted to start this thread just to get my feelings out my chest and empty my head a little. Not looking for any counselling or reassurance—I wanted to list the things I really hate about my own personality. Sometimes it’s healthy to confront your feelings head on & this is a little step I feel might help me get a kick start.

Everyone has their own little faults and flaws, and that’s okay, but I sincerely hope I can change these attributes as I grow as a person.

Go ahead and also express the frustrations you feel with your own personal way of dealing with things. Feel free to post as an anon if you find that more comfortable; I’m gonna try to be brave and post openly.

A list of my most ugliest qualities:

- I am a liar— I needlessly lie. It’s almost a habit now. It’s damaging no one but myself; constantly having to exaggerate, to conceal, and watch it snowball into something even bigger than it ever needed to be. I’d like to actively work on not telling little white lies to the people I’m speaking to. I want to learn to be sincere, even if it means it might pull me out of my comfort zone sometimes.

- I am cowardly— I always opt for the most easiest method. I’m scared of failure, so sometimes I don’t try at all. I want to say f*ck it and just do something for once without caring about the outcome. I want to give it my all and then even if it doesn’t work out, take it with grace and learn from it.

- I am mentally weak— Well, this one will take some time. 🤧

- I am scared of confrontation— I’m a pushover and then some and I’m scared to speak up for myself. I run far, far away from any possibilities of a confrontation. I want to be able to express myself without worrying about upsetting the people I care about.

- I am selfish

- I am a hypocrite— I don’t practice what I preach. I know what’s right, but actions speak louder than words and my actions are always in contrast to what I know is right.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    SAME
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That is 0.00000001% of my list.

ReputationRep:
    My overwhelming and unrelenting pessimism
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I can't commit to anythi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I can't commit to anythi
    Not even half way?

ReputationRep:
    Being stubborn.

Not good at adapting to change. I hate change. I feel my way is better in a lot of things.

ReputationRep:
    Procrastinating to the max.

ReputationRep:
    I sweat buckets around too many people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I can't commit to anythi
    Lmaooo I’ve seen this one before clever-clogs 😂😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDieMstr)
    This is going to be the reason I’ll die. Premature stress induced heart attack. 😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    That is 0.00000001% of my list.
    It can’t be that bad, go on then 😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDieMstr)
    Yep, I have a presentation to do on Monday and haven't even started, nor do I even want to.

- Pessimism
    - Isolationism

ReputationRep:
    i have trust issues, i trust too easily, then cry when it's broken by people i would otherwise stay the **** away from,
    i procrastinate so much, if i have work to do and havent got any tv shows to watch or books to read, ill just waste time doing literally nothing
    i fall for girls who break me and i know they will before falling but i do it anyway, case in point, i wrote a love letter to a girl, she posted it to fb and asked out my best friend a week later. also never had a date, but been stood up 3 times by the same girl.

ReputationRep:
    Wise unless it is for myself. Like, I am a great mentor to my friends and family but beat myself up over everything and can’t rationalise.

Impatience at the wrong times. Again, I can be patient for inessential situations but if it is something very important I can get ratty and snap.

Too optimistic. On occasions I just see things working the way I anticipate them going... too much: objectives will be easier, I deem my goals as being very attainable, I pit myself against unrealistic expectations I cannot handle, and so on.

Obsessive characteristics. Literally, something can dominate my life for several years and overnight I will just not care. Not stupid things, but career goals, subject preferences, hobbies, and so on.

Lack of trust. I allow awful past incidents to obscure my opinion of good people. I really only trust my parents and that is all. It makes it hard to make friends, or even trust or open up to the friends I have now.

Anxiety. Sort of on a different level, but my anxiety disorders ruin life a lot.

Crippling embarrassment. I always feel humiliated by myself, and I will cringe over mistakes/mishaps/bad memories for years. There are certain people I won’t talk to, places I won’t go, and so on, just because I associate them with me looking like a dumbass. But it happens even when I have done nothing to be embarrassed about: successful interviews, applauded stage performances, A* essays, etc.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saf5238)
    It can’t be that bad, go on then 😭
    It’ll take me a whole day to write up my list
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    im stubborn- i could go on for hours with having a argument with a friend, even if im in the wrong
    Im rude- sometimes i really dont mean to, it just happens
    Im blunt- wen im angry or p*ssed off, i tend to be blunt which ppl really dont life, as they keep trying to start a convo with me, but wat gets me even more annoyed is that u can clearly see im angry, so why are u still pushing to get an answer out of me
    I insult ppl without me realising that its actually an insult

Most of the time, its hardly, but im the type of person who doesnt really care if a lose a friend or not, i would just get on with life, not making amends or anything

All of the things i just said, made me think, wat if those arent my worse traits? wat if that is just the person i am and i cant change it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandiprat)
    Wise unless it is for myself. Like, I am a great mentor to my friends and family but beat myself up over everything and can’t rationalise.

Impatience at the wrong times. Again, I can be patient for inessential situations but if it is something very important I can get ratty and snap.

Too optimistic. On occasions I just see things working the way I anticipate them going... too much: objectives will be easier, I deem my goals as being very attainable, I pit myself against unrealistic expectations I cannot handle, and so on.

Obsessive characteristics. Literally, something can dominate my life for several years and overnight I will just not care. Not stupid things, but career goals, subject preferences, hobbies, and so on.

Lack of trust. I allow awful past incidents to obscure my opinion of good people. I really only trust my parents and that is all. It makes it hard to make friends, or even trust or open up to the friends I have now.

Anxiety. Sort of on a different level, but my anxiety disorders ruin life a lot.

Crippling embarrassment. I always feel humiliated by myself, and I will cringe over mistakes/mishaps/bad memories for years. There are certain people I won’t talk to, places I won’t go, and so on, just because I associate them with me looking like a dumbass. But it happens even when I have done nothing to be embarrassed about: successful interviews, applauded stage performances, A* essays, etc.
    While you don’t trust easily, I do the opposite. If someone is good natured towards me for the smallest thing, I get very complacent and latch on emotionally quite quickly. I trust people much too easily, and it’s brought disappointment as a result of that on so many occasions. I expect too much of them, feel too emotionally vulnerable. But I can’t seem to help it 🤷🏾*♀️

ReputationRep:
    IM LOUD.

ReputationRep:
    I'm incredibly needy/clingy, it's embarrassing. I'm glad people put up with me lol
    Also I never play myself down, even if I've done something great i wont take credit for it
    And i can be a little pushy.

I do love how pursuive and manipulative i can be though.. i feel like that should be a bad trait but i like it and almost abuse it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.