Language Investigation A Level English Language Watch

ZAxox
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently starting the language investigation section of the A Level (AQA) as part of our coursework. However, I'm unsure of what to actually hypothesize. I wanted to do something based on Gender, particularly when looking at celebrity interviews. But I wasn't 100% sure on what I would be actually testing...If anyone has any idea of what I could hypothesize, please help me out. Also, if anyone has done the language investigation, could you please let me know what you did. Or what you feel got the best marks.
I think I've left it a tad late as I've been busy revising for my other subjects! :/ Thanks!!!
PhilipC
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Classic
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ZAxox
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by PhilipC)
Classic
Thanks !! Really helpful
chloeannm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

So I have just submitted mine the other day, and I too focused on gender and language. WJEC exam board, here, though!!

I did, however, look at gender, media representation and politics. Basically, I gathered newspaper articles and focused on the differences in terms of the way in which males and female politicans were represented. For example, I have concluded that females are more often than not, reported on the basis of their appearance, and significant reference to image is made, in comparision to that of males.

So, my hypothesis was based politicians being reported differently within the news media based solely on appearance.

I think gender is a good one to go with; there's lots of opportunity to include a range of relevant theories.
I know a lot of people who opt for gender tend to look at advertisements from the past, thus allowing for comparision with more modern ones. Celebrity interviews sounds good, too!

Hope all goes well! Best of luck!
dontgivea
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ZAxox)
I'm currently starting the language investigation section of the A Level (AQA) as part of our coursework. However, I'm unsure of what to actually hypothesize. I wanted to do something based on Gender, particularly when looking at celebrity interviews. But I wasn't 100% sure on what I would be actually testing...If anyone has any idea of what I could hypothesize, please help me out. Also, if anyone has done the language investigation, could you please let me know what you did. Or what you feel got the best marks.
I think I've left it a tad late as I've been busy revising for my other subjects! :/ Thanks!!!
Hey I did this last year, got a B but I'm resitting the exams cos I had a few issues. For my investigation, I chose to research Donald Trump's language used on Facebook to target voters during the presidential election last year. For gender, I'd advise to keep things really tight and make sure your aims fit the title of the investigation and answer the overall question. I'd suggest maybe focusing on celebrities who come from the same background (i.e low or middle/upper class) and from a similar area? What you don't want to do is investigate things that are completely different to each other or go beyond the investigation.

A few pointers:

Focus on the use of fillers, hedges, tag questions, intonations (maybe write how one celebrity uses fillers and how one doesn't, i.e due to nervousness etc

Maybe research Janet Holmes, Robin Lakoff and Jenny Cheshire, my top three gender theorists but primarily for females and Peter Trudgill is a good one for males. Jenny did a good study in Reading where she discovered males tend to be proud of using covert prestige whereas women are more likely to use standard English and an RP accent. Honestly there is so much you can do.

Make sure to focus on phonetics if you are listening to interviews instead of reading interviews online as this will be able to get you a higher grade as phonetics is linked to the way people will say things so focus on specific letters of pronunciation that may differ between males and females.

Best of luck!

Also it definitely isn't too late, I honestly started mine in early March purely because I was doing another investigation then I felt like I couldn't secure higher grades so I switched and people in my class were still not done the day before AQA's deadline.
Olmeister
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For mine last year I focused on the use of two conversations, one between males and one between females. I recorded the two just solely from some people I found in the canteen, even the cleaner got involved! I then did the transcript and from there highlighted the key differences between the two, i.e. the use of interruptions, overlaps, changing of the subject etc, and basically put the conversation to the current gender theorists. There was a lot of evidence corresponding to each theorist, however I also looked at how the evidence could be for instance misinterpreted or how another theorist may disagree and actually conclude something else from the same evidence.

However, I also introduced the notion of Language and Power, and the way that for instance Lakoff might've been wrong, and the actual fact is to do with the Power within a conversation rather than solely the gender aspect, take a look at O'Barr and Atkins, that's what I did.

I received an A grade overall, but obviously can't say what my coursework alone got, was very close to full marks though my teacher said.

You're not too late to start, but you need to devote a decent amount of attention to it. Last year I believe the deadline was May, agggeeess away lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.51%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.4%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.75%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.4%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.69%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.25%