The Student Room Group

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
He is an odious individual who despite being a throwback from centuries past, a raging homophobe and a bible thumper to boot seems to attract rather good PR.
Original post by Snufkin
He's a thoroughly unpleasant man with equally callous and out of date views. He hides behind a mask of politeness and an affected drawl (it really is ridiculous, his sister doesn't sound anything like that) to lull the public into thinking he's a decent chap.

After Boris, I don't think people are so easily fooled. One can't help but laugh at the young (and they often are very young) ultra-neoliberal ideologue Tories who think he has a chance of becoming PM, how naive can a person be! :lol:

Just because you think a view is outdated does not meant that his viewpoints are automatically incorrect, Corbyns ideas during the New Labour time would have been seen as outdated yet now he somehow has a lot of support.

He is also hardly callous especially since he is able to remove his personal views from his actual goals, he is rather live and let live for the most part.

Funny calling the Tories idiolouges yet Labour are always promising so many wonderful and free things, thinking that somehow money is just going to appear.

Most people dont think he has a chance to be the PM they just say they would vote for him and like him and that is perfectly fine
Reply 22
Original post by AperfectBalance

He is also hardly callous especially since he is able to remove his personal views from his actual goals, he is rather live and let live for the most part.

Hasn't that been established as a demonstrable lie, repeatedly? Just look at his voting record on same sex and marriage equality legislation, he has repeatedly voted against it.
Original post by Napp
Hasn't that been established as a demonstrable lie, repeatedly? Just look at his voting record on same sex and marriage equality legislation, he has repeatedly voted against it.

that is different to actually trying to ban gay marriage. I would personally vote against it as I dont think the church should be forced to do something they dont want to do, just as a baker should have a right to refuse to make your cake a church should have a right to deny anyone for any reason.
Reply 24
that is different to actually trying to ban gay marriage. I would personally vote against it as I dont think the church should be forced to do something they dont want to do, just as a baker should have a right to refuse to make your cake a church should have a right to deny anyone for any reason.

That is a truly dubious distinction to draw. Aside from the fact that voting against it is for all intents and purposes little different than advocating it remain banned he should not be using his own prejudice in the discharge of his public duty.
Original post by Napp
That is a truly dubious distinction to draw. Aside from the fact that voting against it is for all intents and purposes little different than advocating it remain banned he should not be using his own prejudice in the discharge of his public duty.

Not really, it is just his personal opinion, just like it might be your opinion that gay marriage is perfectly fine.
Reply 26
Not really, it is just his personal opinion, just like it might be your opinion that gay marriage is perfectly fine.

Which he can raise in private but has no business using in his work.
I make absolutely no comment on my view on the matter.
I'm pretty scared that so many people here like him :/
His personal views go against lots of my very deeply-rooted morals that mean a lot to me such as gay rights and women's rights so for me I'd never vote for him or anything like that though I appreciate he has a right to speak his views and be a politician if elected fairly
Original post by moonswooning
I'm pretty scared that so many people here like him :/
His personal views go against lots of my very deeply-rooted morals that mean a lot to me such as gay rights and women's rights so for me I'd never vote for him or anything like that though I appreciate he has a right to speak his views and be a politician if elected fairly

What aspect of his personal views do you think conflicts with "women's rights"?
Original post by Thaladan
What aspect of his personal views do you think conflicts with "women's rights"?

Him being pro-life
Original post by Napp
Which he can raise in private but has no business using in his work.
I make absolutely no comment on my view on the matter.

But that is what parliament is for.... Discussion and he has discussed his opinion just like you have the right to discuss yours
Reply 31
But that is what parliament is for.... Discussion and he has discussed his opinion just like you have the right to discuss yours

Once again i'm not saying he shouldn't have nor discuss an opinion. He doesn't have the right to inflict his opinion on his constituents though, especially when he himself argued that MPs should honour what their constituents want not what he himself wants.
Original post by Thaladan
What exactly do you mean by "social murder"?

"When one individual inflicts bodily injury upon another, such injury that death results, we call that deed manslaughter; when the assailant knew in advance that the injury would be fatal, we call this deed murder. But when society places hundreds of proletarians in such a position that they inevitably meet a too early and an unnatural death, one which is quite as much a death by violence as that by the sword or the bullet; when it deprives thousands of the necessaries of life, places them under conditions in which they cannot live - forces them ... to remain in such conditions until that death ensues which is the inevitable consequence - knows that these thousands of victims must perish, and yet permits these conditions to remain, its deed is murder just as surely as the deed of the single individual ..."

Engels, The Condition of the Working Class in England (1845 [1967]), p. 126 (Panther Press)

It's been found 120000 deaths occurred due to the Tory economic policies from 2010 and it's predicted to reach 200000 come 2020. If Mr Mog were to get his way we would have an even more extreme austerity approach to the economy, and more deaths.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/tory-austerity-deaths-study-report-people-die-social-care-government-policy-a8057306.html

The actual report:
http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/11/e017722
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PhilipC
I'm curious of everyone's opinions on Jacob Rees-Mogg. I recently attended a conference he spoke at and he was met with both cheers and boos. Discuss.

Original post by memesneeded
Great speaker, love his ideas on individualism. Don't agree with him on all of his personal beliefs, but he is strongly in favour of being allowed to have an opinion on everything. A true man of democracy, and would possibly be a good choice for PM.

Original post by ZAxox
He’s decent x

Original post by Papa.Snape
Love hearing him sometimes, but damn that guy is a filibuster. I like how he acknowledges that if he was in power, he would not allow his personal beliefs to dictate him either.

Original post by NavaniKholin
He is everything I despise about the Tories. He is: anti same sex marriage, pro academies, pro zero-hour contracts, anti EU, a Trump sympathiser, pro Brexit, anti abortion, anti contraceptives, pro hunt, Need I go on...

He's completely out of touch with the vast majority of people living in this country and would be a terrible PM.

He comes from a very wealthy family lineage. He doesn't need to work a single day for the rest of his life. When you don't have the pressure to pay bills and all the expenses that life makes you incur, life will be such a breeze and you can focus on what you want to in life. Don't be mesmerized by how he looks or how he speaks. Look at the content of what he says. That is what matters the most.

There was also some talk of him being PM. This came largely from the people who got it wrong for both the referendum result and the US presidential elections. So pay no attention to them. Jacob is a cross-bencher. Let him stay there. You need someone strong and tough to cure UK of the problems she has. JRM doesn't fit the bill.
Overall I like him.

He seems very intelligent, and is very good in interviews and debates.

I do not agree with all his views, but he would be my choice to be the next Conservative leader.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
People like Mog are committing social murder. Are we really expected to just polity take it? Poor Americans whos family are having cancer support taken from them say something bad about John McCain on Twitter and there is uproar. No, they are *****.

Tonny Benn was a Christian. A much better one that the Mog I may well add. The current Catholic position on the death penalty is against it. Doesn't stop Mog being a monster and supporting it.

I don't want the death penalty, but I don't resort to name calling and demonising people because they have a different view. In a democracy having two sides to a debate doesn't make people evil, I can see why supporters would say it acts as a greater deterrent and could ultimately save more lives.

Jacob isn't committing murder, it's ludicrous to say so, he's standing up for the conservative ideas which the country voted for. One of the best ways to improve lives is to reduce unemployment (create jobs) and have decent wages which Mogg supports policies for.

I think it's great to have someone in Parliament with principles, rather than desparate for popularity and power so will flip to the easy options.
Original post by Hatter_2
I don't want the death penalty, but I don't resort to name calling and demonising people because they have a different view. In a democracy having two sides to a debate doesn't make people evil, I can see why supporters would say it acts as a greater deterrent and could ultimately save more lives.

Jacob isn't committing murder, it's ludicrous to say so, he's standing up for the conservative ideas which the country voted for. One of the best ways to improve lives is to reduce unemployment (create jobs) and have decent wages which Mogg supports policies for.

I think it's great to have someone in Parliament with principles, rather than desparate for popularity and power so will flip to the easy options.

Jacob Reese Mog plays a pivotal role in social murder by being an MP that votes for all the policies that cause it. That's a fact as far as I am concerned and it has nothing to do with morals or different points of view. I mean yes, I think he is scum personally, but the reason I want people like him out of parliament is just because I want less death caused by the structure and enforcement of the economy. The name calling is just a therapeutic extra for myself.
(edited 6 years ago)
Seems like a nice person although I could never vote for him because I don't share any of his views
Infact, Im opposite of him in most regards
I like him quite a lot. He's traditional, articulate, not politically correct and would be a good leader post-May. I agree with a lot of his positions
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Sexist, racist, homophobic, death penalty supporting cartoon villain.

His approach to political economy and religion is food banks are good as they allow him to demonstrate his Christianity by giving to the poor.

He's a monster.

He doesn’t support the death penalty and in fact he was quite vocal against extra judicial killing of Isis members on QT the other day. He’s also very sympathetic to Muslims.

What has he done or said that’s racist or even sexist ?

I can understand why you disagree with him but he’s certainly not a monster. This is like the loony right saying Corbyn is literally Stalin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending