The Student Room Group

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Sexist, racist, homophobic, death penalty supporting cartoon villain.

His approach to political economy and religion is food banks are good as they allow him to demonstrate his Christianity by giving to the poor.

He's a monster.

Needs more buzzwords
Jacob Reese Mog plays a pivotal role in social murder by being an MP that votes for all the policies that cause it. That's a fact as far as I am concerned and it has nothing to do with morals or different points of view. I mean yes, I think he is scum personally, but the reason I want people like him out of parliament is just because I want less death caused by the structure and enforcement of the economy. The name calling is just a therapeutic extra for myself.

This argument which is common amongst
The libertarian left is bizarre and disturbing.

The corbynistas literally think eg Grendel is an act of cold blooded murder. If I thought the government was actively trying to kill me I wouldn’t just condemn it i’d Violently retaliate. Of course it’s a load of nonsense.

For instance.

I imagine you are pro trans rights And would vote for it if in power (apologies if I’m wrong)

Now post op trans people are statistically likely to commit suicide*. Following your logic you killed them.

*https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf

Motives matter and accidents do happen.

Also see Frederic Bastiat:

https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Frédéric_Bastiat

(There’s more to an economy than immediate effects)
Terrible choice for PM. Tax dodger, anti abortion but doesn't mind making a mint from selling the tablets. Brexit nutcase (anyone who thinks no deal is better than a bad deal automatically has **** for brains).
Original post by humanteaparty
anyone who thinks no deal is better than a bad deal automatically has **** for brains

Oh dear, another intolerant neo-leftie who thinks it's either their way on issues, or a case of intellectually inferiority. Why not just abolish democracy and instate protesters with no life experience?

What you are saying is any possible deal, no matter how bad, is better than no deal.

Economically that's clearly rubbish; if we leave the single market and revert to WTO terms, even assuming we don't trade more with more preferable partners around the world; the tariffs would be about £8bn. Paying a massive leaving bill would be worse than many years of tariffs, and of course we would receive more in income from reciprocal tariffs on EU trade.

And we would regain fishing waters, supreme laws and courts, ability to decide trade with the world; all of which are at risk in a bad deal.
Reply 44
Top notch ****.
Terrible choice for PM. Tax dodger, anti abortion but doesn't mind making a mint from selling the tablets. Brexit nutcase (anyone who thinks no deal is better than a bad deal automatically has **** for brains).

So paying the EU 10 billion a year, staying in the ECJ, accepting free movement and not being able to make our own trade deals is better than no deal? Please

I actually voted remain BTW but his logic is stupid. Of course no deal is better than a bad deal.
Original post by Hatter_2
Oh dear, another intolerant neo-leftie who thinks it's either their way on issues, or a case of intellectually inferiority. Why not just abolish democracy and instate protesters with no life experience?

What you are saying is any possible deal, no matter how bad, is better than no deal.

Economically that's clearly rubbish; if we leave the single market and revert to WTO terms, even assuming we don't trade more with more preferable partners around the world; the tariffs would be about £8bn. Paying a massive leaving bill would be worse than many years of tariffs, and of course we would receive more in income from reciprocal tariffs on EU trade.

And we would regain fishing waters, supreme laws and courts, ability to decide trade with the world; all of which are at risk in a bad deal.

Dude I'm not a Labour supporter, I'd vote tory if an election was held today.
Revert to WTO terms and **** will fit the fan! Better for the government to take the brunt of the bill. If you try and get business to pay for it in this global world they'll just move elsewhere.
Protecting fishing waters if laughable, so you'd sacrifice our banking/finance industry for a fishing industry? lol
"When one individual inflicts bodily injury upon another, such injury that death results, we call that deed manslaughter; when the assailant knew in advance that the injury would be fatal, we call this deed murder. But when society places hundreds of proletarians in such a position that they inevitably meet a too early and an unnatural death, one which is quite as much a death by violence as that by the sword or the bullet; when it deprives thousands of the necessaries of life, places them under conditions in which they cannot live - forces them ... to remain in such conditions until that death ensues which is the inevitable consequence - knows that these thousands of victims must perish, and yet permits these conditions to remain, its deed is murder just as surely as the deed of the single individual ..."

Engels, The Condition of the Working Class in England (1845 [1967]), p. 126 (Panther Press)

It's been found 120000 deaths occurred due to the Tory economic policies from 2010 and it's predicted to reach 200000 come 2020. If Mr Mog were to get his way we would have an even more extreme austerity approach to the economy, and more deaths.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/tory-austerity-deaths-study-report-people-die-social-care-government-policy-a8057306.html

The actual report:
http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/11/e017722

Well... that's a load of rubbish, to be polite.

I'll limit my retorts to one question, as I think that this is the crux of your reply: do you believe that if one has the capability - financial or otherwise - to save the life of a fellow member of society, but chooses not to, then one is guilty of "social murder"?

If I might correct you on the segment when I have underlined...

His Moggness co-founded a company called Somerset Capital Management in 2007. Since he became an MP in 2010 and ceased to manage his company's investments, Somerset Capital Management invested in a pharmaceutical company called Kalbe Pharma; it is worth noting that this investment did not include a penny of JRM's own money. Kalbe Pharma produces a drug that is intended to treat stomach ulcers, and is marketed as such. However, the drug does have the side-effect of being an abortificient, and has been used illegally in Indonesia to induce abortions.

In short, His Moggness is evidently not a flagrant hypocrite who actively partakes in the abortion industry despite proclaiming his anti-abortion views, and anyone who accuses him of such is either ignorant of the full story or attempting to spuriously defame him.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 49
[QUOTE="Hatter_2;74971094"]Oh dear, another intolerant neo-leftie who thinks it's either their way on issues, or a case of intellectually inferiority. Why not just abolish democracy and instate protesters with no life experience?]/quote]
You wingnuts seem to fetishise this partisan divide, some things such as Brexit do have the ability to transend such a simple difference yet you all seem to think that only 'left wing' people consider this opinion stupid?

It has already been clearly established that reverting to WTO terms is utter lunacy. Only about 8 countries like Venezula and Cuba actually trade solely on these and that isnt even addressing the simple fact that WTO terms would pummel the British economy.
What partners are considered more 'preferable' than the EU? To think that any trade lost with Europe will ipso facto be made up by trading with others is simply wrong. To alienate the biggest trading bloc in the world who happen to be on our door step is economic suicide. That especially goes for trying to weasel out of the divorce bill, you cant give Brussels the finger and still expect them to play nice with trade.

Why do you Brexit people have such a thing about British fishing? Aside from the fact we've already sold off the rights to our fishing waters and we're not going to get them back even if we do leave the EU, we dont have a fishing industry anymore and somehow I find it hard to believe the government is going to waste money trying to rebuild it.
Ability to trade with the world... cute. Leaving aside the EU doesnt stop us trading with anyone you're assuming the rest of the world wants to trade with us and is lining up to trade. This again is a dangerous falsehood and seriously overestimates Britains standing in the world.
He's certainly charming, courteous and charismatic (in his own way) but this shouldn't obfuscate his rather regressive social views.
Original post by DeBruyne18
He's certainly charming, courteous and charismatic (in his own way) but this shouldn't obfuscate his rather regressive social views.

Original post by KA99_
Top notch c***.

He comes from a very wealthy family lineage. He doesn't need to work a single day for the rest of his life. When you don't have the pressure to pay bills and all the expenses that life makes you incur, life will be such a breeze, you can simply enjoy life and it can be discerned by how calm you appear to be. Don't be mesmerized by how he looks or how he speaks. Look at the content of what he says. That is what matters the most.

There was also some talk from this forum on him being PM. This came largely from the people who got it wrong on both the referendum result and the US presidential elections. So pay no attention to them. Jacob is a cross-bencher. Let him stay there. You need someone strong and tough to rid UK of the problems she has. JRM doesn't fit the bill.
Original post by Audrey18
He comes from a very wealthy family lineage. He doesn't need to work a single day for the rest of his life. When you don't have the pressure to pay bills and all the expenses that life makes you incur, life will be such a breeze, you can simply enjoy life and it can be discerned by how calm you appear to be. Don't be mesmerized by how he looks or how he speaks. Look at the content of what he says. That is what matters the most.

There was also some talk from this forum on him being PM. This came largely from the people who got it wrong on both the referendum result and the US presidential elections. So pay no attention to them. Jacob is a cross-bencher. Let him stay there. You need someone strong and tough to rid UK of the problems she has. JRM doesn't fit the bill.

Cross bencher?
Rees-Mogg is the hero we need. Therefore, all hail our lord and saviour, defender of Brexit and the people’s true champion, Jacob Rees Mogg
JRM is an example of people loosing the ability to identify intellect. I recently watched a two hour parlimentary debate between JRM and Rory Stewart (lame I know lol). Despite their clear fillibustering Rory Stewart was weaving metaphysical and abstract thought into thought proving modern contexts. JRM’s only rebuttal was that various things were ‘unconstitutional’. This I have often noticed of JRM. It’s as if he derives all his authority from his Received Pronunciation backed by the odd scrap of Tudor History.

He rarley if ever contributes unique points and all his fans think he’s a top parliamentarian for simply being able handle a few averages BBC reporters questions.

Despite whatever’s flaws they have JRM is no-where near as capable as the afformentioned Rory Stewart amongst many other conservatives e.g. Ruth Davidson or some Shadow Cabinet members such as the very capable Keir Starmer and Barry Gardiner.
Dude I'm not a Labour supporter, I'd vote tory if an election was held today.
Revert to WTO terms and **** will fit the fan! Better for the government to take the brunt of the bill. If you try and get business to pay for it in this global world they'll just move elsewhere.
Protecting fishing waters if laughable, so you'd sacrifice our banking/finance industry for a fishing industry? lol

The tories are left wing too in practice (Labour manifesto was virtually communist), but fair point the EU isn't a left/right issue and never has been. What I really meant was this kind of new politics which replaces debate with disrespect of other ideas and labels like racist and intellectually inferior.

Well 100,000 jobs were lost from fishing, we're not going to give up financial services we can take the opportunity to be more competitive by reducing burden of regulation and going global without being in political union, similar to singapore.
The tories are left wing too in practice (Labour manifesto was virtually communist), but fair point the EU isn't a left/right issue and never has been. What I really meant was this kind of new politics which replaces debate with disrespect of other ideas and labels like racist and intellectually inferior.

Well 100,000 jobs were lost from fishing, we're not going to give up financial services we can take the opportunity to be more competitive by reducing burden of regulation and going global without being in political union, similar to singapore.

The only reason Singapore prospered as a financial centre is because they have cheap but lovely crispy Asian noodles for expats, which I'm sad to confirm Canary Wharf does not have.

If Brexit is good for financial institutions than why are some planning to move to EU countries? Londons power comes from being part of the EU, its laughable to suggest that it would be a powerhouse without the single market.

The reason why the fishing industry crashed is because quotas and no more fish.
If Brexit is good for financial institutions than why are some planning to move to EU countries? Londons power comes from being part of the EU, its laughable to suggest that it would be a powerhouse without the single market.

Well why are we different to other prosperous countries not in the EU? Yes we've been locked in for the last 40 years and there will be some short term effects of leaving, and banks moving part of their operations to Europe. But if the government takes the opportunities we can have far more growth. It's not nearly so bad as in Italy because of the euro.

The reason why the fishing industry crashed is because quotas and no more fish.

You do know quotas are made by the EU, and cause tonnes of dead fish to be thrown back into the sea, and mismanaging species like cod. In addition they allow other EU countries to fish in our waters more than we can.
Sexist, racist, homophobic, death penalty supporting cartoon villain.

His approach to political economy and religion is food banks are good as they allow him to demonstrate his Christianity by giving to the poor.

He's a monster.

I agree that he's a homophobe with some very questionable beliefs, but your support of Corbyn who is a proven liar and has links with Hamas, Hezbollah, the IRA and the Qataris makes you a complete hypocrite.

Quick Reply