The Student Room Group

Fear putting girls off PE

Scroll to see replies

Nah.
The only reason why I hated pe was because I was in the same class as the popular, pretty, *****y girls. They would talk **** about my friends and i for being rubbish at pe yet they weren't even good at it themselves. They basically just sucked the fun out of it.
If anything, it's the goddamn cold that puts me off PE. I have truanted/got out of like 6 lessons now because I'd rather do some constructive revision or studying in a warm, cosy library than freeze to death in the cold with a hockey stick and a bunch of equally unenthusiastic girls who don't want to be there either
(edited 6 years ago)
I hated PE. I went to an all girls school where we had sa choice of went to do and 70% choice to do dance, something that did not interest me at all nor the remaining 30% of girls, so we did basketball. I was terrible at sports, i had no friends so i was always picked last and nobody ever passed the ball to me, so i was just spending a good 1 hour and 40 minutes standing around and it was AGONIZING. Time went so slow, people would shout at me, as they were overly competitive, but i couldn't care less, i literally would rather do maths, something i had mild success at and also it gave me something to do. I feel the same about hymn practise in primary school also, except that was even worse to the point i wish i reported the school for child abuse because it was that much torture and nobody liked it lmao.
Reply 23
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Here, here! Hated wearing a skirt or short shorts. Turned up in jogging bottoms to be given detention once because it wasn't winter. We got hockey, dance, and cross country with the odd game of badminton in the winter. We all asked to play rugby, begged even, and the school weren't having any of it.

That sounds great! I'm so glad you were finally able to play what you wanted :biggrin:

I was suuuper lucky! Our new (female) PE teacher is a premiership rugby player so it all worked out for us 😂

But yeah... skorts? NEVER AGAIN! Even if your school have shorts for girls they’re always either baggy and gross or too short.

“It’s not even cold” says the male PE teacher wearing 4 layers and a coat.
I was always a tomboy. I grew up with an older brother who is only a year and a half older. I was always following him everywhere. I liked sports, liked being active, was always around boys playing sports, climbing trees, playing in the dirt.... I didn't care much about what other girls say about it. Kids always laughed at me anyways because of my looks and me being a strange person. PE and sports actually were more of a help to me. I was playing basketball in Highschool, and was on the athletics and track-feild teams as well as youth camps. I liked running and playing basketball, my team-mates were the only group of girls I really liked spending time with. I had a best friend who was not on any sport team, but as for being in a group, basketball was my group.

I was very self conscious about wearing swimming suit though, I was too skinny and was so shy about it, but had no problem wearing basketball shirt and shorts...
(edited 6 years ago)
uniform was awful (wish we could wear leggings/tracksuit bottoms smh..)

they let the 'popular' girls wear leggings/skip cos of periods/not tie up hair and cheat on games.

also wish we did more football than netball tbh. boys PE looked more fun, and im not even a sporty person.

i skipped a lot of school to avoid PE because it was so boring etc
PE was shite. I think it was because of the people. Teachers were rude and unfair. Most of the girls were *****ey so it wasn’t as fun. There were a few times when I actually enjoyed it. Sometimes I felt uncomfortable when there were male teachers and this one male teacher always looked at me!
(edited 6 years ago)
just let the girls have what they want in pe:
a less unflattering attire and full choice of sports.
then it will be fairer
Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349
just let the girls have what they want in pe:
a less unflattering attire and full choice of sports.
then it will be fairer

Agree about a different choice of clothes- skirts or gym knickers should be a no-no. For both girls and boys there needs to be a range of sports, and enough time to change into and out of sports kit.
Original post by KingHarold
Agree about a different choice of clothes- skirts or gym knickers should be a no-no. For both girls and boys there needs to be a range of sports, and enough time to change into and out of sports kit.

Two to three mins isn't cutting it.
I can't even get half a uniform off in winter within 3 mins
My school didn't really care what we wore for PE in later years (when some start feeling self conscious) as long as it was practical and in the school colours.

Personally I feel that the sexism from teachers put girls off PE. I mean this in the sense that sometimes we would be mocked for not doing as well as the boys in cross country when for the previous term we'd only been allowed to play netball and do squats. Yes, we did actually have to do squats to JB in the gym and do 'girl push ups' whilst the boys played football. :s-smilie:
i hated PE for many reasons. the PE attire wasn't really an issue for me, but the competitiveness and pressure from both students and teachers. i think instead of 'setting'/grouping pupils by ability in PE, instead, we should be grouped by intention. i was in the bottom set and there were a lot of girls in my set who were very, very competitive and felt they should be in a higher set. similarly had friends in the top set that felt a lot of pressure to be competitive, even though that wasn't their thing, purely due to their ability. therefore, i think it would improve enthusiasm if grouping could be based on intention. following this, i think such grouping should be done on a regular basis, so every few lessons pupils have the opportunity to move from the competitive group to the non-competitive group and vice versa. additionally, it should be way less gendered. at my school girls never got to do football or hockey post-year 8/9 (can't remember) and boys were forced to do rugby (a fact that was quite boring for some of my friends). i'd say set up a system where every few weeks there is an opportunity to shift intention groups (?) and then once people are happy with their group they can vote on a seasonally appropriate activity. if there was a system like that i would've probably loved PE. in general just more emphasis on having fun and not giving a hell how you look or if you are winning.
Reply 32
hell its even harder when you're fat and trying to do PE

especially when they ask you to get into groups (which they did ALL the ****ing time when i was at school) you NEVER get chosen to be on anyones team.
Only time i faked sickness for PE was when we were doing gymnastics, as I find rolling over a mat forward and backwards very scary.
PE was hands down the worst part of high school for me. I'd feel so sick before every lesson and hearing the bell ring when it was over was such a huge relief. I don't even mind sports and exercising it was just the horrible, competitive, *****y atmosphere that was in my school. People took it so seriously with some acting like they were competing in the Olympics and making fun of the less sporty people and nearly every lesson ended in a futile argument.

I was so grateful when I left that I'd never have to be put through that torture again :afraid:
Original post by lucieol
PE was hands down the worst part of high school for me. I'd feel so sick before every lesson and hearing the bell ring when it was over was such a huge relief. I don't even mind sports and exercising it was just the horrible, competitive, *****y atmosphere that was in my school. People took it so seriously with some acting like they were competing in the Olympics and making fun of the less sporty people and nearly every lesson ended in a futile argument.

I was so grateful when I left that I'd never have to be put through that torture again :afraid:

Your school sounds like hell. Mine was very competitive and every 100m race was a battle for victory but we werent laughing at the slower people. Thats just mean. People need to take a chill pill
I think the rules in my school about the pe kit for girls are unfair as the boys have the same pe kit what ever the lesson which is the school pe polo shirt, black shorts, white socks and white trainers the only exception is dance and gymnastics which is bare feet compulsory but the girls are only allowed to wear the same pe kit as the boys for curtain lessons their compulsory pe kit for dance and gymnastics is a black leotard bare legs and bare feet even though the lessons are single sex most girls hated this I know of one girl who had eczema on her legs so she asked if she could wear a pair of tracksuit bottoms or at least a pair of shorts so the the other girls would not be able to see it so much but the teacher said “no your legs have to be bare” why couldn’t the teacher have made an exception? I can understand the rule about bare feet for safety reasons but what difference does it make if girls wear shorts and I think what makes it even worse is the teacher wears a full tracksuit and doesn’t have bare feet either.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 37
I detested PE. We were forced to do netball and rounders, there was no choice at all. I'm short with limited coordination. I'm also not supposed to do too much running around. I have a problem with my left ankle and I sprain it quite frequently. I walk with a permanent limp. I was still forced to take part in sports that I shouldn't have been doing. And I was crap at them anyway. I couldn't aim at all.

The focus was also exclusively on competition. That's great if you're good at sports, but if you're not (and most people aren't) it makes you feel crap about yourself. That's not helpful and I think it might contribute in part to the growing obesity crisis.

PE is where we're first exposed to exercise. It should be made a non threatening, non competitive environment. For example by encouraging more individual sports and activities like yoga and swimming. The uniform should be clothes that make you feel comfortable, like leggings and joggers not shorts. If the kids feel good about it, they'll take part.
Physical Education is one of my favorite subjects along with Science when I attended school. Now I am home schooled and my PE credit comes from my gymnastics training hours. Coming from parents who are really into sports and fitness from an early age I and my siblings were enrolled in sports. I ended up sticking with gymnastics at an early age and my brothers lacrosse while my sister does both gymnastics and lacrosse. My youngest brother also does basketball. So I have never had a problem with PE and the uniform here was just a blah T-Shirt with the school name and shorts. In the winter you could where leggings or sweats under the shorts if you like.

Quick Reply

Latest