Is my investment banking career over after failing to get an offer from Oxford?

Watch
veeraxox
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Or lse fir that matter
JayN_0
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your career isn't over. Experience outranks your university so during the summer, apply to internships or work experience. This will help you get ahead.
Speckle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As long as you go to Cambridge instead, you'll be ok!
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by veeraxox)
Or lse fir that matter
If you listen to people on this website, which is mostly A-Level students and a few BSc students, then yes.

In reality, as someone who has a BSc, MSc, and worked for a few years in investment banking at a bulge bracket firm, and went to Southampton (the shock horror!), the reality is no, it isn't.
Viganajvazi1999
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Absolutely Not, I’m at Imperial doing Computer Science and have plenty of friends who’ve gotten into it, doing all sorts of subject. As long as you’re persistent and go to events trying to establish connections, and also seek out experience you’ll be fine.
veeraxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by .ACS.)
If you listen to people on this website, which is mostly A-Level students and a few BSc students, then yes.

In reality, as someone who has a BSc, MSc, and worked for a few years in investment banking at a bulge bracket firm, and went to Southampton (the shock horror!), the reality is no, it isn't.
y r u on tsr looking after a bunch of random kids if u r are an investment banker

should u not be at work????
Melancholy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
y r u on tsr looking after a bunch of random kids if u r are an investment banker

should u not be at work????
Not even investment bankers are compelled to work on the Sunday before New Years.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
no, I know a girl who got a job with Top BB going to a non russel group uni.

although she was really pretty so I dont know if that played a part.

Her A levels where A*AA and she got 70%+ in all her first and second year modules but she also interned with the Bank at the end of year 2
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)

Gosh! The terrible university known as Southampton *shudders*. It's so bad, not even the Department for Work and Pensions will give you jobseekers allowance.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is not essential to go to Oxford, Cambridge, LSE - or any other specific Uni.

There is a great deal of ill informed rubbish on TSR about 'vital Uni for this or that job'.

You get job offers because of you - not the brand name of the Uni. If you work hard during your degree and fill your CV with constructive stuff like work placements, vacation jobs, that is what actually matters to employers. If just going to X or Y Uni automatically got you an amazing job then there wouldnt be any unemployed/totally useless Oxbridge graduates would there - and in reality many of the 'other' Unis have a far better employment rate that Oxbridge or LSE.

[Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...and-university - Instituation Tables, Table 2a - and compare Oxford etc with other 'lower' Universities. ]
veeraxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Melancholy)
Not even investment bankers are compelled to work on the Sunday before New Years.
no i meant why is the dude on tsr moderating forums full of students if he rly is an investment banker
Melancholy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
no i meant why is the dude on tsr moderating forums full of students if he rly is an investment banker
Why did Rurik Jutting murder two Indonesian prostitutes if he was an investment banker? The answer is: because one activity doesn't preclude the other.
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, as Melancholy nicely pointed out, not even investment bankers are required to work on the Sunday before NYE (and even if NYE fell during the week it'd be dead mostly), and working in investment banking isn't mutually exclusive from providing advice to students on university choices, careers, etc. In fact, firms in the industry are very keen for employees to give talks at schools and universities and provide advice as part of corporate social responsibility.

But also, you'll see from my post that I clearly used past tense. I resigned this past summer to embark on a PhD at the European Centre for Research in Brussels. But again, me now doing a PhD in economics in Brussels doesn't mean I can't provide advice to UK students.
veeraxox
Rep:
?
stop insulting me
I will now report u
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (340)
55.74%
I don't have everything I need (270)
44.26%

Watched Threads