Oxford student who stabbed her BF appeals 10 month suspended sentence.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Lavinia Woodward, the Oxford student who stabbed her boyfriend, is appealing her sentence, despite avoiding jail and being handed a 10 month suspended sentence.

The judge said that Woodward, who plans to become a surgeon, is "an extraordinarily able young lady" and sending her to prison would damage her career aspirations.

You can read the full story here.

Do you think she should appeal? Should she have been given a harsher sentence?
DoritoEvie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Attempted murder?

Jail.

Doesn't matter what her aspirations are.

If she's dumb enough to do that, she's not 'an extraordinarily able young lady'.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DoritoEvie)
Attempted murder?

Jail.

Doesn't matter what her aspirations are.

If she's dumb enough to do that, she's not 'an extraordinarily able young lady'.
Theres no suggestion she attempted to kill him, so not attempted murder.

No need to take it out of context as he was referring to her academic potential.

She is pushing it though. Be interesting to know her grounds for appeal and expect it to be refused.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
surprised she is not seeking compensation for the emotional trauma of the case.
username3590460
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Qwhite interesting ☕️
Casisalive
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the only thing she has to worry about is if her dad gets her the right colour Range Rover
Unknown-99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can I just mention how great her boyfriend was? He got stabbed by her with a bloody bread knife but still somehow managed to stop her from killing herself.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://thetab.com/uk/warwick/2017/1...ight-out-24857

That might set the pattern for this other woman (above) who stabbed her boyfriend in the face, and received a suspended sentence. The judge did say that she was charming and clever, tho.

Of course, her defence was that the relationship was toxic and he was emotionally abusive. That's alright , then.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I really don't see what possible grounds for appeal she could have. She already pleaded guilty to the crime, so there's no way the conviction will be overturned. And the sentence she got was literally the most lenient sentence possible for her category of crime, so there's little chance of convincing anyone that it ought to be reduced. Quite bizarre really.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I guess all the attention she got last time wasn't so bad after all.
Anonymous12340
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anybody who uses a knife on another person can kill that person. Offenders need to realize that using a knife will either harm or kill their intended victim. Seems to me she got off lightly, she could appeal but the Court has been lenient towards her based on her career aspirations and her good history at university
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think the situation could really be made less hard for her seeing as the initial judgement was already one of the silliest possible. Bit of a pointless appeal really
dandiprat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I hate the fact that if this sort of scenario had have been reversed, her boyfriend would have been given no leniency.
icequeenTM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
White privilege at its finest!
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
You can read the full story here.

Do you think she should appeal?
First of all she should go to a mental hospital.
Natashaanku
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
She should have absolutely given her more time on her sentence. There are members of this society who are at a disadvantage due to their ethnicity, social class, age, disability, whilst the police and justice systems are the ones who treat them in a brutal manner for smaller crimes, or for suspecting them due to unjust stereotypes. It’s so sad that people can just get away with actions like this whilst people are still being oppressed just because they weren’t born with a silver spoon in their mouths.
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by icequeenTM)
White privilege at its finest!
More likely the vagina pass. The sentencing gap between men and women is far larger than the gap between whites and non-whites, for example.

And that's even after we take into account the specific crimes, criminal history, etc.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s funny how people are calling this white privilege yet ignoring the huge disparity in sentencing between men and women.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why on earth is she appealing? It should certainly have been a harsher sentence in the first place, I can't see it being reduced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, she has every right to appeal if she wants, but I think her good looks, gender, and social background helped her get such a lenient judgement in the first place.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (207)
39.43%
Take autumn exams (157)
29.9%
Look for a job (17)
3.24%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.19%
Take a year out (90)
17.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
6.1%

Watched Threads