The Student Room Group

WAY out of my depth!!! Needing help

Currently in Y11, just moved onto the harder specification which is 9-1 instead of A*-G. The amount of times we get told “this is A level stuff” :frown: so it’s really stressing me out.

All my schooling life I’ve been in top group and regarded as competent, and even able, where maths is concerned. However, the last couple of years, I’ve been lumped with not so cracking teachers. This year I’ve finally got one that’s okay, but she’s hell bent on putting pressure on everybody because she’s newly trained and hasn’t had any GCSE groups of her own. She’s amazing at teaching but it gets quite intense at times I feel :s-smilie:

For anyone unfamiliar with new grade boundaries they look a bit like this:

9: equiv to A**, top 2% in the country. Really difficult to get and essentially needs near full marks.

8: A*

7: A

6: B

5: High C

4: Low C

3: D

I’m on the higher tier so these are the grades I can achieve. At the moment I’m on a five, and while it isn’t bad, my peers are all getting sevens, eights and nines. I’m still in their group too. Consistently I find myself not understanding - I don’t care to take it at A level, I just want to pass and pass well.

This sounds silly from what I’ve said. I feel I sound like a thick student on a 5... but I’m really considering a career in Medicine. My English and Science targets are really high and I’m not struggling in them, (except Physics for maths reasons!)

Do I need an exceptional command of maths? I can interpret graphs really well, handle data, do mental maths etc. It’s just algebra and triangles and suchlike that seem ridiculous.

How much of a big deal do you think it is? I just have zero motivation and obviously do want to pass well, a 6 ideally, but will losing most my maths really ruin my chances of a study on this degree? I HAAAATE maths!

Any tips appreciated too.

Thanks guys!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Without a strong command of Algebra, you will struggle with A Level Maths or it is a no starter.

Here is a reality check. A 9 is less than 80% let alone full mark. 8 is easier to get than an old A* and that was pathetic as it was. A 5 is 28%, ie needing less than 1/3 of the paper to be correct. That was the grade boundary for Edexcel Maths in 2017.

Medicine is a tough degree that requires really hard work. If you can't pull yourself together, put your head down and get a 7 for Maths then Med is not a degree for you.
i agree with what the previous poster said. Medicine requires powerful analytic and logical skills as well as a pleasant bedside manner.
Reply 3
Because the new specification and grading system is harder and students are doing it for the first time in all of the subjects, the grade boundary is low. For example, in Spanish you can get a Level 5 in i.e. reading by getting a 20 mark out of 60. So, even if you get lower marks, you might get away with a 5 or a 6 in your GCSE but again don't let this stop pushing yourself for Level 8 or 9.
As long as you are in a higher tier you will be fine. Because Foundation tier is as hard as Higher but you HAVE to get really high marks to get a C otherwise you fail.
Because you are academically doing well, don't stress too much. Everyone's finding it hard. Just believe in yourself.
I think you should try improving your English writing skills because subjects like Science, Geography are including a lot of 6 and 8 mark questions where you have to be clear about what you're writing about. Since you're good at maths and handling data, Science will be easier. But lots of the subjects are looking for good communications and evaluating skills which is what I am working on. Good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest