Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does beer taste so bad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Cider actually tastes quite good, especially dark fruits. And vodka-coke is good too. But beer just tastes ****.

ReputationRep:
    I really think it's a taste you acquire as you get older. :/ I'm with you though...for me Cider tastes so much nicer because it's sweet instead of bitter. That's why i like all the girly colourful drinks too...they are just so sugary! >_<

ReputationRep:
    Very few people drink alcohol for the taste anyway. They drink for the effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dy/dx e^x)
    Cider actually tastes quite good, especially dark fruits. And vodka-coke is good too. But beer just tastes ****.
    You were brought up on sugary drinks, as a consequence, real drinks taste too bitter.

ReputationRep:
    Your brain is trying to tell you it may be poison, which is why bitter things (think medicine) are unpleasant. Sugar has the opposite effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    You were brought up on sugary drinks, as a consequence, real drinks taste too bitter.
    This might be true. Might also explain why I hate the taste of water so much
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    People aren't used to the bitter taste.

Cider is nice because it's sweet.

ReputationRep:
    Apologise for that filthy slur right now!

ReputationRep:
    I has only talking to a friend the other day about vodka and why we inflicted it upon ourselves when we were younger. Really, what's the point?
    I'm not massively into my beer, but you could try Young's Double Chocolate Stout. That said, check out Bray's One Month Mead (aka the BOMM) and make your own mead. Really quite enjoyable to drink and so very cheap!

ReputationRep:
    It's an acquired taste. Well, the likes of Carlsberg and Carling are never gonna taste good. But many beers will. I remember the first time I tasted Guinness; I hated it. Now it's my drink of choice lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    People aren't used to the bitter taste.

Cider is nice because it's sweet.
    aww, you're sweet too

Spoiler:
    Show

no homo

ReputationRep:
    I think every young teen who starts drinking some beer thinks the exact same. Then when they become a young adult their tastebuds change and they begin to like it. That happened to me along with everyone else I know.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be something you kinda get used to having rather than actually liking it straight away.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    All I will say is Titanic Plum Porter, Fullers London Pride and Wychwood Hobgoblin.

ReputationRep:
    Cider > Beer
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have a tin of Stones bitter when I was 13 and loved it, never looked back. I don't have a sweet tooth really. Not into sweet beers or ciders as a general rule.

ReputationRep:
    It’s down to taste buds, you lose some as you get older

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how people like cider, ew..

Drink some Carlings lad

ReputationRep:
    U can't HANDLE or should I say MANDLE the BITTER taste of beer because it's for MEN hurrr 😤💪💪💪 go drink ur PUSSY CIDER that's SWEET

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely an acquired taste.

I'm not the biggest fan of the standard lagers. Try some different stuff. Personally I got into beer when I started getting IPAs. Before that I wasn't a fan, would only drink it if there was nothing else really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.