Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  687F86E1-E4C5-4480-BC30-116B19021C36.jpg.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  24.2 KBName:  B52CB7E7-6C10-4962-8887-4D0AC152E393.jpg.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  27.2 KB
    Part a answer is 3cm. Can anyone help with part b? Thanks a lot. I’ve worked out the distance from G to DC
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sherryew)
    Part a answer is 3cm. Can anyone help with part b? Thanks a lot. I’ve worked out the distance from G to DC
    Can you please post what you've done so far? You should have a diagram showing where the centre of mass must be if AB is inclined at 25 degrees. Let us know if you don't understand this part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Can you please post what you've done so far? You should have a diagram showing where the centre of mass must be if AB is inclined at 25 degrees. Let us know if you don't understand this part.
    What I get is the center of mass(G) from AB=3cm, and tan25=3/AN, therefore DN(Distance from G to DC)=6-3/tan25. And then I’m stuck
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    What I get is the center of mass(G) from AB=3cm, and tan25=3/AN, therefore DN(Distance from G to DC)=6-3/tan25. And then I’m stuck
    What is N? I can't see it mentioned in the question. Do you have a diagram?

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me for barging in, Notnek , took me quite a while to edit this image and I just refreshed the page to see you've contributed awhile ago.

Name:  m2.jpg
Size:  18.4 KB

Sherryew If you look at the diagram I have edited, this is how it would look like after the lamina has been suspended from A. All you do is rotate the image and align the Centre of Mass with the suspended point.

\frac{3}{\tan(25)} will give you the distance of {AK} from my diagram but you want the distance from the DC plane to point O.

Think again, why is 6-\frac{3}{\tan(25)} wrong?

ReputationRep:
    let F be the foot of the perpendicular from G to line AB.

the distance GF = 3

angle FAG = 25°

distance DA = 6

triangle AFG is right angled.

you need distance DF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManLike007)
    Forgive me for barging in, Notnek , took me quite a while to edit this image and I just refreshed the page to see you've contributed awhile ago.

Name:  m2.jpg
Size:  18.4 KB

Sherryew If you look at the diagram I have edited, this is how it would look like after the lamina has been suspended from A. All you do is rotate the image and align the Centre of Mass with the suspended point.

\frac{3}{\tan(25)} will give you the distance of {AK} from my diagram but you want the distance from the DC plane to point O.

Think again, why is 6-\frac{3}{\tan(25)} wrong?
    omg just realise that I made a silly mistake:// What I get is DK=3/tan25 -6. But I don’t know how to find distance of O from DC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    let F be the foot of the perpendicular from O to line AB.

the distance OF = 3

angle FAO = 25°

distance DA = 6

triangle AFO is right angled.

you need distance DF.
    Nah. Angle GAD=25, not FAO, and FO=2

ReputationRep:
    What is N? I can't see it mentioned in the question. Do you have a diagram?
    Could you pls have a look at the diagram below [email protected]? N is the point K in his diagram

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Angle GAD=25, not FAO, and FO=2
    i meant G, not O...

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Could you pls have a look at the diagram below [email protected]? N is the point K in his diagram
    I don't know what you've tried but at some point you need to take moments in the y direction (looking at the original diagram).

So i.e. in part a) you took moments about AB. Go back to this original diagram and try taking moments about the horizontal that includes B. Remember that you now know this \bar{y} from your working in b).
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    These international papers have some tough questions. The 2013 (R) had an even harder COM question than this one (question 6)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    There will be different approaches to this question so ManLike007 please share what you did (with a hint) if it's different to the hint I gave above.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what you've tried but at some point you need to take moments in the y direction (looking at the original diagram).

So i.e. in part a) you took moments about AB. Go back to this original diagram and try taking moments about the horizontal that includes B. Remember that you now know this \bar{y} from your working in b).
    Ill try then

ReputationRep:
    These international papers have some tough questions. The 2013 (R) had an even harder COM question than this one (question 6)
    But unfortunately I’ve done that one correctly but couldn’t solve this one😭😭
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    But unfortunately I’ve done that one correctly but couldn’t solve this one😭😭
    Maybe this one is harder then The folded lamina was very unusual which is why I thought it was harder plus the working isn't easy either.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this one is harder then The folded lamina was very unusual which is why I thought it was harder plus the working isn't easy either.
    Sorry but I don’t know how to find the distance of O to the horizontal that includes B.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Sorry but I don’t know how to find the distance of O to the horizontal that includes B.
    Actually it's probably simpler to take moments from DC : Call \bar{y_s} the y distance of the square's centre of mass from DC and call \bar{y_l} the y distance of the lamina's centre of mass from DC.

48 \times 0 - 16\times \bar{y_s} = 32\bar{y_l}

You've already done the working in b) to find y_l so you can find y_s which is the answer to the question.

It's late so I hope I'm not overcomplicating this or making mistakes...

ReputationRep:
    Also came up in this year's M2 paper back in June, oh boy was I in for a treat when I thought it wouldn't come up.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ManLike007)
    Also came up in this year's M2 paper back in June, oh boy was I in for a treat when I thought it wouldn't come up.
    I was also surprised to see it because I thought folded laminas were only a special treat for international students They're not bad once you've done one but I remember struggling with it the first time I looked - trying to consider the folded section separately with double the mass is a bad idea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.