Travelling by train on my own for the first time - very anxious!

Watch
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm getting the train back home next week and I'll be completely on my own. I've only ever been on a train a handful of times in my life before and all have been accompanied by an adult, mainly my dad. I'm nervous because of the following reasons:

- I'm worried I'll get on the wrong train, even after checking my tickets and the boards and the platform and listening to the announcements
- I'm worried my tickets for some reason won't be valid even though I know I've booked the right day and the right station
- I'm worried I'll lose my tickets and be stranded
- Because I'm making a change to get to my destination, I'm worried my first train will be delayed and I will miss my other train
- I've heard that trains can change platforms with only a few minutes before they are due, meaning people have to run across big stations. I'll have a big and heavy suitcase with me so running won't be possible.

What happens if you miss your train, like if it changes platforms and I don't have time to get to it or my first train is delayed meaning I miss my second one? Can you get on the next one even though my ticket was meant for the other train?

I know there'll be signposts and people to ask all over the place, so I'll do that. I just don't like not having a definite plan in place before my journey. Ideally I'd love there to be the guarantee that my trains will be on time and the platforms will not change, but I'm really scared they will. When I panic, I cry and get flustered which just wastes time. I'm one of those people who likes to plan out their day almost to the minute, with knowing exactly when I'll be where and for how long etc.

Can anyone reassure me that my concerns are just unlikely and it'll be fine? Or offer any tips for making sure everything goes smoothly?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I'm getting the train back home next week and I'll be completely on my own. I've only ever been on a train a handful of times in my life before and all have been accompanied by an adult, mainly my dad. I'm nervous because of the following reasons:

- I'm worried I'll get on the wrong train, even after checking my tickets and the boards and the platform and listening to the announcements
- I'm worried my tickets for some reason won't be valid even though I know I've booked the right day and the right station
- Because I'm making a change to get to my destination, I'm worried my first train will be delayed and I will miss my other train
- I've heard that trains can change platforms with only a few minutes before they are due, meaning people have to run across big stations. I'll have a big and heavy suitcase with me so running won't be possible.

What happens if you miss your train, like if it changes platforms and I don't have time to get to it or my first train is delayed meaning I miss my second one? Can you get on the next one even though my ticket was meant for the other train?

I know there'll be signposts and people to ask all over the place, so I'll do that. I just don't like not having a definite plan in place before my journey. Ideally I'd love there to be the guarantee that my trains will be on time and the platforms will not change, but I'm really scared they will. When I panic, I cry and get flustered which just wastes time. I'm one of those people who likes to plan out their day almost to the minute, with knowing exactly when I'll be where and for how long etc.

Can anyone reassure me that my concerns are just unlikely and it'll be fine? Or offer any tips for making sure everything goes smoothly?
There ll be displays all along the platform saying which train it is so getting the wrong one is unlikely, you can get the national rail app which is pretty quick with platform alterations and if you miss a train because the first one was late speak to customer services who validate it so you can use it on the next possible train option.
sahjahn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've been on hundreds of train journeys and ALWAYS think I'm on the wrong train when i get on. Yes - I am the person who asks others in the carriage if 'this is the train to York' or whatever!.

Ask station staff if you are unsure about anything.

You'll be fine.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
There ll be displays all along the platform saying which train it is so getting the wrong one is unlikely, you can get the national rail app which is pretty quick with platform alterations and if you miss a train because the first one was late speak to customer services who validate it so you can use it on the next possible train option.
Oh fab I didn't know there was an app. Thank you so much.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by sahjahn)
I've been on hundreds of train journeys and ALWAYS think I'm on the wrong train when i get on. Yes - I am the person who asks others in the carriage if 'this is the train to York' or whatever!.

Ask station staff if you are unsure about anything.

You'll be fine.
I'll be that person asking! Thank you so much.
sahjahn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I second getting the app too!

I'm always checking it and find it very reassuring to be able to check times or delays or platforms or whatever so I can plan what I'm doing.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by sahjahn)
I second getting the app too!

I'm always checking it and find it very reassuring to be able to check times or delays or platforms or whatever so I can plan what I'm doing.
Thank you so much! I have now downloaded it ready for my journey. I already feel much better.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)

- If you get on the wrong train you just get a train back, it happens, people won't get angry, you're technically allowed to travel whereever as long as you start and end your journey at the appropriate stations
- If your tickets weren't valid you wold just buy another one, money wasted but nothing too dire
- Same as above ^^
- If you miss your train you just get the next one... if you have a specific time ticket just go to the office and explain before you get on, they will let you on another train
- trains rarely change platform and certainly not often at the last minute... and even if they did there would be time to get there... if by some weird turn of events you missed the train because of this they would allow you to take another train

Honestly, trains are not difficult - don't stress ask for help if you're unsure of anything
jimmythebee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, your ticket stays valid if you miss a train because of a delay and as far as I know, you don't have to run around at the platform to find someone who can tell you what to do, because every single time I missed a train because of that, they tell you in the delayed train wich one (and from what platform) you can take next. But most of the time, the next train just waits for the delayed one, unless it is a pretty big delay. Usually they tell you the same thing after you leave a train at the platform and so you get to know if something changes right away. Travelling by train is very easy, so don't worry, everything will be fine.
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
- If you get on the wrong train you just get a train back, it happens, people won't get angry, you're technically allowed to travel whereever as long as you start and end your journey at the appropriate stations
- If your tickets weren't valid you wold just buy another one, money wasted but nothing too dire
- Same as above ^^
- If you miss your train you just get the next one... if you have a specific time ticket just go to the office and explain before you get on, they will let you on another train
- trains rarely change platform and certainly not often at the last minute... and even if they did there would be time to get there... if by some weird turn of events you missed the train because of this they would allow you to take another train

Honestly, trains are not difficult - don't stress ask for help if you're unsure of anything
Something that I thought I would add - if trains do change platforms, the changes are announced through the tannoy systems and also on the big notice boards with all of the train platforms/arrivals/departures etc.
Also, whenever platforms are changed within a few minutes of the train arriving (very unlikely unless other trains are delayed), the new platform is almost always adjoined onto the platform that you were going to use anyway (i.e. platform 4 instead of platform 3, whereby both P3 and P4 are next to each other) - so you won't have to run about the train station trying to get onto a platform in time!

Hope this helps, DrawTheLine

(If you need more help regarding trains, let me know - I've been commuting for quite a while via trains so should be able to help.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads