Would you rather: Past or Future

Watch
dandiprat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So, a scenario for everyone!

An evil scientist has produced a time machine. He is only giving you two options. If you refuse you will be vaporised! You can either:

Go to any period in the past (nothing later than the 1950s—that means the 1950s or any time before that), in any country, and live the rest of your life there.

OR

Go to an unknown point in the future, which you cannot personally choose, that could vary anything from 6 months to 1000 years.
username3658760
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The past 100%, bmt I will never choose the future, NEVER, I've always wanted to go to the 1980s, I'd thank the scientist tbf
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by TSR69)
The past 100%, bmt I will never choose the future, NEVER, I've always wanted to go to the 1980s, I'd thank the scientist tbf
That is fair! I think a 20th century decade would be too boring for me. I’d go all out there to the mid-18th century. It has always been my aesthetic.

Would just hope the evil scientist would let me take my bullions with me.
MyFightSong
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd take the future and choose 6 months

can't imagine anything would have changed at all in 6 months lol
SWCoffee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

If anyone is going to be vaporized, I should at least see the future before it happens, right?
BurstChaos1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So I can't go any further back than 1950? Damn, I want to meet so many great people.

Oh well, future it is, by that time I might have even become one those great people and I might get worshipped like a god there, after all, I did just time travel into the future.
StephRadriguez
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If we could choose I'd love to go back just a few years in time so I could use my knowledge from the future to make investments and make bank. I could even take myself out and just resume my life as if nothing had changed...
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by BurstChaos1)
So I can't go any further back than 1950? Damn, I want to meet so many great people.

Oh well, future it is, by that time I might have even become one those great people and I might get worshipped like a god there, after all, I did just time travel into the future.
Latest period being the 1950s: meaning you can choose a year in the 1950s or anything before that. From the British Industrial era to Bronze Age Greece.

But I like your future idea, although I worry I would turn up to find the earth emptied. Like, maybe everyone has relocated to Mars by then!
SWCoffee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can live comfortably on a barren Earth. All you need are bottlecaps and radiation.
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The future. Never would I go back to a time that I could be raped just cos of being black. Fck no.
BrianMcEgg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The past, the future looks depressing as ****
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Past, 1850 sounds fun.
BurstChaos1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dandiprat)
Latest period being the 1950s: meaning you can choose a year in the 1950s or anything before that. From the British Industrial era to Bronze Age Greece.

But I like your future idea, although I worry I would turn up to find the earth emptied. Like, maybe everyone has relocated to Mars by then!
Oh, then it's an easy decision, the past, for sure; there's far too many I would want to meet and plus, if I go far back enough, I'll probably be treated like a god anyway; that or I'll be killed out of fear by maniacs.
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by SWCoffee)
You can live comfortably on a barren Earth. All you need are bottlecaps and radiation.
I like your optimism. Thrifty.
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by FloralLuxe)
The future. Never would I go back to a time that I could be raped just cos of being black. Fck no.
You have a very fair point. In reality, any form of backwards time travel is probably just a recipe for disaster... unless you are a straight, white man.
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by BrianMcEgg)
The past, the future looks depressing as ****
Agreed. I imagine any future period either being dystopian or post-apocalyptic. Maybe a robot race would take us common flesh bags on as domesticated pets though.
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Past, 1850 sounds fun.
What is it about 1850 that interests yourself?
SWCoffee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're all a bunch of unimaginative cynics.

The future is going to be so convenient people will start suffering from having no purpose or identity.
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by BurstChaos1)
Oh, then it's an easy decision, the past, for sure; there's far too many I would want to meet and plus, if I go far back enough, I'll probably be treated like a god anyway; that or I'll be killed out of fear by maniacs.
Hey, take along some modern tech and some other bits n bobs to shake them up. You will either get the god treatment or be witch tested. Worth it for the drama though.

Are there any specific individuals you can name that you would like to meet?
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by SWCoffee)
You're all a bunch of unimaginative cynics.

The future is going to be so convenient people will start suffering from having no purpose or identity.
I mean, I guess I would rather live out something I have learnt about primarily from conjecture, but has left me intrigued.

I can only imagine the future entailing me being sucked into a toxic wasteland, where I shrivel up from radiation poisoning within an hour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.26%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.41%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.86%

Watched Threads