Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a UK citizen and have been since birth. I've lived abroad the majority of my life but I moved back to the UK on 5th September 2015 for family reasons, and I have an offer to start university in 2019 as a home student.

My question is, if I have been given home student status by my university, but I have missed out by 4 days to be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years, can I still apply for student loans? Also, will this even be brought up in my student finance application? I do not currently have any evidence of the date of my arrival in the UK as my passport was not stamped due to it being a British passport, and I don't have my boarding pass any more as it was years ago. The earliest letter I have is from February 2016 to prove my residence, but obviously I would have had to be here as I was at sixth form college.

I have called Student Finance before and I was given the advice that I should be eligible for student loans, and that the few days should be negligible, however after calling UKCISA I was given the information that I would not be eligible for student loans. If I could be given some official advice it would be much appreciated!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hksg)
    I am a UK citizen and have been since birth. I've lived abroad the majority of my life but I moved back to the UK on 5th September 2015 for family reasons, and I have an offer to start university in 2019 as a home student.

My question is, if I have been given home student status by my university, but I have missed out by 4 days to be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years, can I still apply for student loans? Also, will this even be brought up in my student finance application? I do not currently have any evidence of the date of my arrival in the UK as my passport was not stamped due to it being a British passport, and I don't have my boarding pass any more as it was years ago. The earliest letter I have is from February 2016 to prove my residence, but obviously I would have had to be here as I was at sixth form college.

I have called Student Finance before and I was given the advice that I should be eligible for student loans, and that the few days should be negligible, however after calling UKCISA I was given the information that I would not be eligible for student loans. If I could be given some official advice it would be much appreciated!
    Hi hksg,

I can certainly help to provide some clarity on your eligibility. I do have a quick question about the information you've already given though.

You said that you've received 'an offer to start university in 2019.....' Did you mean 2018?

Thanks,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart SFE)
    Hi hksg,

I can certainly help to provide some clarity on your eligibility. I do have a quick question about the information you've already given though.

You said that you've received 'an offer to start university in 2019.....' Did you mean 2018?

Thanks,

Stuart
    Sorry for that, yes I did mean 2018. Thanks in advance for any advice
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hksg)
    Sorry for that, yes I did mean 2018. Thanks in advance for any advice
    Hi hksg,

Thanks for that. It was worth clearing up because the year you're starting would make a difference.

One more question - when you were overseas was it within the EU/EEA or elsewhere?

Thanks,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Hi hksg,

Thanks for that. It was worth clearing up because the year you're starting would make a difference.

One more question - when you were overseas was it within the EU/EEA or elsewhere?

Thanks,

Stuart
    It was in Hong Kong
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hksg)
    It was in Hong Kong
    Hi hksg,

Thanks again.

As a UK National, to qualify for support as a Home Student from Student Finance England you must meet the following standard residency requirements:

- Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course

- and be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

So, as you have been outside the EU/EEA and miss meeting the first requirement by 4 days you would not be eligible for funding. However, depending on the circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for support if you can show us that it was a temporary break. You would be required to provide evidence of your temporary break regardless of the length of time you were temporarily absent for.

What could be classed as a temporary break?

Gap Year
    Holiday
    Voluntary Work overseas
    Working for HM Armed Forces
    Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment

What would not be classed as a temporary break?

People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature
    People who have exercised their right to roam elsewhere in the EU/EEA and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of their course

If break in residency was due to student/parents active service in the armed forces they are still considered to be resident in the UK

Acceptable Evidence

A letter from HEI confirming gap year
    A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates
    A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature
    A letter from HM armed services if applicable
    Temporary visas or work permits

Dependent on your situation, they may not have any of the evidence above. In these circumstances you whould be advised to send any evidence of the break (e.g. copies of ticket receipts, accommodation lease, etc.) with a covering letter. This evidence will be deemed acceptable on a 'case-by-case' basis.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Hi hksg,

Thanks again.

As a UK National, to qualify for support as a Home Student from Student Finance England you must meet the following standard residency requirements:

- Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course

- and be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

So, as you have been outside the EU/EEA and miss meeting the first requirement by 4 days you would not be eligible for funding. However, depending on the circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for support if you can show us that it was a temporary break. You would be required to provide evidence of your temporary break regardless of the length of time you were temporarily absent for.

What could be classed as a temporary break?

Gap Year
    Holiday
    Voluntary Work overseas
    Working for HM Armed Forces
    Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment

What would not be classed as a temporary break?

People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature
    People who have exercised their right to roam elsewhere in the EU/EEA and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of their course

If break in residency was due to student/parents active service in the armed forces they are still considered to be resident in the UK

Acceptable Evidence

A letter from HEI confirming gap year
    A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates
    A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature
    A letter from HM armed services if applicable
    Temporary visas or work permits

Dependent on your situation, they may not have any of the evidence above. In these circumstances you whould be advised to send any evidence of the break (e.g. copies of ticket receipts, accommodation lease, etc.) with a covering letter. This evidence will be deemed acceptable on a 'case-by-case' basis.

Regards,

Stuart
    Thanks for the information Stuart. My Dad was employed in Hong Kong, which was the reason why we moved over. However, before the start of my course his contract had been terminated, and the only reason I was still in Hong Kong during those few days was because of my highschool graduation, thus I would have moved back to the UK at an earlier date if possible. Could this be considered temporary if my family was no longer in employment?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hksg)
    Thanks for the information Stuart. My Dad was employed in Hong Kong, which was the reason why we moved over. However, before the start of my course his contract had been terminated, and the only reason I was still in Hong Kong during those few days was because of my highschool graduation, thus I would have moved back to the UK at an earlier date if possible. Could this be considered temporary if my family was no longer in employment?
    Hi hksg,

They would likely look at the nature of the employment, what kind of contract and the reason for the move. If we weren't satisfied that it was temporary from the outset they likely wouldn't make you eligible.

I'd advise gathering as much evidence as possible to show that the time in Hong Kong was always meant to be temporary and submitting that with a cover letter.

Regards,

Stuart

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.