The Student Room Group

He's not asking for my number yet

I like a guy that's local to me, we follow each other on Instagram and recently started talking via Snapchat. He seems very interested, he's always complimenting my pictures, flirting with me and putting lots of kisses at the end of every message :colondollar: asking me interesting questions etc the conversation is pretty good.

We've been talking for about a day now back and forth on Snapchat, and I was hoping he'd ask for my actual number now so we could move to whatsapp and calling? Is he just shy or wants to talk on snap for a few more days do you think?
Reply 1
Hahaha..It's only been one day!

Probably wants to wait a few days, possibly a week even.
why is whatsapp so special? i mean wats wrong with snap? nowdays guys dont ask girls for thier numbers, they'd rather chat to them via social media, and im pretty sure u can call ppl on snap
Reply 3
Original post by Zelex
Hahaha..It's only been one day!

Probably wants to wait a few days, possibly a week even.

Oh right haha, I think it's a bit soon too :tongue: in the past when guys talk to me on social media, they tend to ask for my number within like an hour (and I don't give it because it's too soon!), hence this time I thought wait is something off because I'm usually asked very quickly and he isn't asking.
Reply 4
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
why is whatsapp so special? i mean wats wrong with snap? nowdays guys dont ask girls for thier numbers, they'd rather chat to them via social media, and im pretty sure u can call ppl on snap

Snapchat just seems a bit impersonal for some reason. I give my snap to whoever asks, but my number is only for my actual friends, family or someone I'm dating for example. Eventually, if he does see some potential in me for a relationship, the next stage would be to get my number and call me, arrange to meet whatever. Whatsapp just seems like the next progressive step.
Reply 5
Or you know... You could just ask him?
Original post by Anonymous
Snapchat just seems a bit impersonal for some reason. I give my snap to whoever asks, but my number is only for my actual friends, family or someone I'm dating for example. Eventually, if he does see some potential in me for a relationship, the next stage would be to get my number and call me, arrange to meet whatever. Whatsapp just seems like the next progressive step.

ohhh lol okay, makes sense. I hardly use whatsapp, i mean if i want to chat to somone, i would just go on snap or something, but I get wat u mean
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
Or you know... You could just ask him?

Oh I don't know, he seems quite laidback and happy for me to make all the moves. Like he wouldn't even initiate a conversation in the beginning until I did, then he became more comfortable doing so. I usually seem to make the first move, and it's odd for me as I'm not used to that. It'd would just feel nice if he made the first move for a change (if he's actually interested in progressing further with me that is).
Reply 8
Oh right haha, I think it's a bit soon too :tongue: in the past when guys talk to me on social media, they tend to ask for my number within like an hour (and I don't give it because it's too soon!), hence this time I thought wait is something off because I'm usually asked very quickly and he isn't asking.

Ask yourself this....the guys that ask you for your number within an hour, did anything develop further seriously? I think the fact that this guy may be taking things a "little" slower implies he might want something more...maybe.
hey im good with chats too!
Original post by Zelex
Ask yourself this....the guys that ask you for your number within an hour, did anything develop further seriously? I think the fact that this guy may be taking things a "little" slower implies he might want something more...maybe.

very good point, no nothing developed further with them. The guys that ask me for my number very quickly always end up only wanting me for sex, and as soon as they have my number, they proceed to sexting me, which turns me off completely as I'm there wanting a relationship and they want me for overnight. I hope you're right that he does want something more, because I am looking for more than just a fling really.
I definitely encourage you to go slow. If he continues to snap w/ you then that is a minor 'win'! I just read this today - some guys just leave bread crumbs for girls to follow and take the lead. If you continue to snap chat regularly (or whatever) back and forth ..... and give it time (perhaps a week?).... then if he hasn't asked you to meet for coffee or a drink or whatever then be bold and ask him! But, don't give in to his request for sex if he goes there (and hopefully he won't right away) let him take a turn and pursue you for a while. Be a little shy or coy. Even though guys act like the only way they are going to really know if they like you and want to keep seeing you is through sex that is wrong. Let him get to know you as a person first. Sounds cliche but it is what will build a relationship if that is what you are going for. If he likes you and asks to have sex and you turn him down he's still going to come back around because he likes you and you've set a boundary which is respectable. Sex straight away usually just gets you sex. Good Luck!
Original post by Hopefully1
I definitely encourage you to go slow. If he continues to snap w/ you then that is a minor 'win'! I just read this today - some guys just leave bread crumbs for girls to follow and take the lead. If you continue to snap chat regularly (or whatever) back and forth ..... and give it time (perhaps a week?).... then if he hasn't asked you to meet for coffee or a drink or whatever then be bold and ask him! But, don't give in to his request for sex if he goes there (and hopefully he won't right away) let him take a turn and pursue you for a while. Be a little shy or coy. Even though guys act like the only way they are going to really know if they like you and want to keep seeing you is through sex that is wrong. Let him get to know you as a person first. Sounds cliche but it is what will build a relationship if that is what you are going for. If he likes you and asks to have sex and you turn him down he's still going to come back around because he likes you and you've set a boundary which is respectable. Sex straight away usually just gets you sex. Good Luck!

Thank you for your insightful response :smile: well he did snap me again this morning randomly saying good morning with a couple of kisses - which is different as he usually seems to wait for me to initiate conversations. I messaged him back and he read it instantly, and I saw he was typing a message for a whole 5 minutes, but didn't press send? So it's left on read, not sure why he wouldn't just send it? I feel like he's playing a few mind games here like hard to get.
Thank you for your insightful response :smile: well he did snap me again this morning randomly saying good morning with a couple of kisses - which is different as he usually seems to wait for me to initiate conversations. I messaged him back and he read it instantly, and I saw he was typing a message for a whole 5 minutes, but didn't press send? So it's left on read, not sure why he wouldn't just send it? I feel like he's playing a few mind games here like hard to get.

Just read your reply. Haven't been on TSR in a while. Hope your snapping/texting is going well. Positive sign that he snapped "Good morning" to you first a few days ago.

We never get to hear what happens to people and I like knowing. Hope you're both moving towards actually meeting.
Original post by Hopefully1
Just read your reply. Haven't been on TSR in a while. Hope your snapping/texting is going well. Positive sign that he snapped "Good morning" to you first a few days ago.

We never get to hear what happens to people and I like knowing. Hope you're both moving towards actually meeting.

Haha I'll update you. He did ask for my number a couple of days later, and has called me everyday since. It's more to casually talk to me and ask about my interests etc. He wants to arrange a date sometime soon too. :tongue:
He doesn't want to look desperate.
I like a guy that's local to me, we follow each other on Instagram and recently started talking via Snapchat. He seems very interested, he's always complimenting my pictures, flirting with me and putting lots of kisses at the end of every message :colondollar: asking me interesting questions etc the conversation is pretty good.

We've been talking for about a day now back and forth on Snapchat, and I was hoping he'd ask for my actual number now so we could move to whatsapp and calling? Is he just shy or wants to talk on snap for a few more days do you
im really interested in getting to know you if your interested in getting to know me. lets have a chat babe xx
Reply 18

numbers are overrated

Through trial and tribulations I have learned that getting a girls number does not automatically mean that you will go on a date with her, see her again, or bang her

you can't f**k a phone number or have cunnylingous with a phone number. Why should a guy get so excited about it?

he can already easily contact you at will.

a phone number is more a relic of the past ..where you actually had to get a females telephone number if you were to have any chance of contacting her again .....because there was basically no other option.

due to that it will always have symbolism when it comes to romance, and people will hype it up. But the reality is, that in 2017 a phone number isn't something to get that excited about...nor is it as essential as it once was.

Quick Reply

Latest