Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

Firstly, I would like to start off by saying that just now I literally found out that oxbridge is actually like a ship name for Oxford and Cambridge. 🤦🏽*♀️
    I know, stupid of me right? I thought oxbridge was a University which I never heard of.

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread. I'm sure there are many people out there who have thought of applying to oxbridge before, not just because of the fact that it's very prestige but also because the education must be really good.

So as I was saying that everyone at some point must have thought about applying to oxbridge but don't apply either because of their grades, the ucas application deadline being too early, having to go through a process where you're competing against many more 'knowledgeable' people than yourself, the uni's being too far away, accommodation issues, financial issues etc. The list for not applying will just go on and on.

I personally didn't apply to oxbridge because of my grades and just the fact that the deadline is too early. Also I certainly am not gonna be able to compete against more 'knowledgable' people than myself and I know I'd never get an offer. Like lets be realistic, there's over thousands wanting to apply, surely not everyone will get an offer. (I am definitely not trying to dishearten anyone at all, please don't get offended!)

So basically this is a thread for those people who have thought about applying to oxbridge but couldn't for whatever reasons they may have.

Please do share your thoughts about Oxbridge and if so do also share what Universities you've applied to or will apply to instead of Oxbridge.

Many thanks <------- (I've always wanted to say this)

😁😁😁😁😁
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to go because they don't offer the course I want to do ^^
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I would have liked to go, but for all the wrong reasons. Pretty buildings, pretending I was at Hogwarts, cachet, Carols from Kings, May ball... punting! :daydreaming::teeth: But I don't think the high pressured environment would have suited me.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Cambridge because I had the grades for it and the course seems lit and it is very academically challenging. I had my interview this Monday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymouspsych)
    I applied to Cambridge because I had the grades for it and the course seems lit and it is very academically challenging. I had my interview this Monday.
    How did the interview go?

ReputationRep:
    Accidentally double turned the page with the last question on in my core 1 exam causing me to miss out 12 marks on an easy inequalities question, literally gcse level, worst thing is I found out I missed it right after the exam feelsbadman Got 65 ums in the end, had I gotten those 12 marks I would have been at 85, kinda low for Cambridge but still respectable imo and a lot better than 65. I got 95 in c2. Didn't think I'd have a chance since my average maths ums had just turned to shite so didn't end up applying. My personal statement and other parts of my application were up to a very high standard, my teacher even tried to persuade me to apply right before the deadline but I wouldn't have been prepared for the interviews and admission's tests lel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILuvFood1234)
    How did the interview go?
    I thought it went quite well but who knows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikasadoge)
    Accidentally double turned the page with the last question on in my core 1 exam causing me to miss out 12 marks on an easy inequalities question, literally gcse level, worst thing is I found out I missed it right after the exam feelsbadman Got 65 ums in the end, had I gotten those 12 marks I would have been at 85, kinda low for Cambridge but still respectable imo and a lot better than 65. I got 95 in c2. Didn't think I'd have a chance since my average maths ums had just turned to shite so didn't end up applying. My personal statement and other parts of my application were up to a very high standard, my teacher even tried to persuade me to apply right before the deadline but I wouldn't have been prepared for the interviews and admission's tests lel.
    Wow. Hopefully one day you get the opportunity to apply for a potential masters or postgraduate degree. Good luck on your choices for University, I can tell you'll get the offer you need to go to your chosen uni. Stay positive and as the Asians say... fighting!! 👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymouspsych)
    I thought it went quite well but who knows
    Did the interviewers smile by any chance throughout the interview?

ReputationRep:
    I almost chose Oxford for my PhD but in the end went with supervisor over prestige. I feel like I made the best decision for me, but I guess time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I would've applied if I were you. Chances are, you would've got an offer from every other uni you applied to anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Did the interviewers smile by any chance throughout the interview?
    Are the interviewers smiling a really good indication of them liking you or politeness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight22)
    Are the interviewers smiling a really good indication of them liking you or politeness?
    If they really smiled often and your interview is more like a conversation where you both are able to relate and go in depth then it's likely that they like you.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Hopefully one day you get the opportunity to apply for a potential masters or postgraduate degree. Good luck on your choices for University, I can tell you'll get the offer you need to go to your chosen uni. Stay positive and as the Asians say... fighting!! 👍🏼
    haha funnily enough I did get all my offers but originally I had applied for Computer Science but later realised my real passsion was for physics which is what I'm applying to this year, compsci was kind of a rash decision idk I had done so much reading around pure maths and physics but applied to compsci lol. This year I'm retaking to try and get straight A*s and self teaching all of A level further maths. Third year is kinda boring and that's my motivation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I almost chose Oxford for my PhD but in the end went with supervisor over prestige. I feel like I made the best decision for me, but I guess time will tell.
    I'm sure you've made the right decision if that's what your instincts are telling you. Good luck on your PhD 👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Hmm, I would've applied if I were you. Chances are, you would've got an offer from every other uni you applied to anyway.
    Haha yeah I got all my offers for Computer Science, I sat in a computer science maths lecture got extremely triggered and realised I had made a mistake. I'm applying to do Physics now, hopefully transfer onto the Maths and physics joint honours at UCL which is what I'm aiming for if I do well in my attempt to self teach further maths a level.

ReputationRep:
    If they really smiled often and your interview is more like a conversation where you both are able to relate and go in depth then it's likely that they like you.
    thank you for saying so! i had oxford interviews this week, and my interviewers smiled and i managed to make them laugh a couple of times so this makes me feel reassured i did okay

ReputationRep:
    haha funnily enough I did get all my offers but originally I had applied for Computer Science but later realised my real passsion was for physics which is what I'm applying to this year, compsci was kind of a rash decision idk I had done so much reading around pure maths and physics but applied to compsci lol. This year I'm retaking to try and get straight A*s and self teaching all of A level further maths. Third year is kinda boring and that's my motivation
    You are very passionate in what you're doing and it's evident by the effort which you are putting in. I'm sure you'll ace it with them A*s. Not many people are as motivated to self teach themselves a level maths.. especially further maths. I'm sure you'll be very successful in whatever your potential future career is. Good luck!! 👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight22)
    thank you for saying so! i had oxford interviews this week, and my interviewers smiled and i managed to make them laugh a couple of times so this makes me feel reassured i did okay
    That seems like a really good sign. If you manage to make your interviewers laugh then that's about all you need to get in. 😁
    When do you find out if you've got the offer or not?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I’m a medicine applicant and I didn’t like the courses. Too traditional - I don’t think you can move forward in an ever-advancing field if you live and study somewhere that in many aspects is stuck in the past.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.