Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are the main differences between a physics and an engineering degree? Which one makes you more employable?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I guess that physics are scientifically deeper and more theoretical, while engineering is more down to earth. It should also be easier to get job with good salary.

Generally engineering is about using knowledge to do something, and physics is about how the reality works and what's behind it.
    A good engineer needs to know how to apply physics and maths to do something but doesn't have to understand it beyond some point and doesn't need to know where does it come from, while a good mathematician should be able to understand and prove all mathematical laws that an engineers only needs to apply.

ReputationRep:
    Engineering is putting physics into practice by application to real world problems. I'd say it would open up your choices a bit more career wise, as opposed to a pure science degree.

ReputationRep:
    Socket set.

ReputationRep:
    Engineering is applied physics (mostly) and physics is the pure theory. In terms of employment, I'd say engineering edges over a physics degree. Both excellent degrees to pursue though

ReputationRep:
    Everyone here seems to agree about engineering being better career wise, but however why did Elon musk recommend physics as the subject to study. I know Elon musk's opinion isn't a measure on how employable a degree can be😂 but still he's a big deal in science and engineering nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thefeynman)
    Everyone here seems to agree about engineering being better career wise, but however why did Elon musk recommend physics as the subject to study. I know Elon musk's opinion isn't a measure on how employable a degree can be😂 but still he's a big deal in science and engineering nowadays.
    I guess it's because he did a physics undergrad himself and really enjoyed it. Also physics has a greater breadth than engineering and requires you to think more deeply about certain concepts.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Both physics and engineering degrees are largely maths based. Physics more so, though, with engineering containing more useful engineering content, such as CAD, design work, etc. Overall they're probably not too dissimilar at degree level - someone looking in from a totally different background would probably struggle to see much of a difference between them.

However, in terms of the actual fields, physics is a branch of science, and science and engineering are actually quite different from one another. Both degrees have good prospects, although if you want to go into engineering then an engineering degree is more useful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.