The Student Room Group

A levels for Oxford

I'm currently in year 11, doing my GCSEs, Its my ambition to get into Oxford to study law, and eventually get into Medicinal, environmental, or human rights Law. The A levels I would like to study are Law, English Lit, Biology and Classic, as well as an EPQ. I would take maths, but with the Biology, that would broaden my Subjects, in a way i have been advised against. My predicted grades are a 7, in chemistry, 8s in English, Maths, physics and computer science, a 9 in biology, A in Product design and a* in engineering. Are the A levels i want to take going to be relevant, and helpful when applying to Oxford, or should i reconsider? I also have to consider that i think i can achieve highly in the subjects have chosen, whereas i think a subject, such as economics might be difficult for me.
Oxford don’t really care much for law a level because it’s not universally offered, history or something might be more suited (I do econ tho it’s really easy)
Reply 2
Original post by Ollie1999
Oxford don’t really care much for law a level because it’s not universally offered, history or something might be more suited (I do econ tho it’s really easy)

I went to an open evening yesterday, and although they don't prefer it, it will give me a basis for first year law degree, making the transition easier. It was really the biology I was questioning.
Original post by Noteprawn
I went to an open evening yesterday, and although they don't prefer it, it will give me a basis for first year law degree, making the transition easier. It was really the biology I was questioning.

You asked I answered 🤷🏻*♀️
Reply 4
Original post by Ollie1999
You asked I answered 🤷🏻*♀️

Sorry, there's been a lot of speculation about that kind of stuff, there are some Universities that don't count Law as an A level, but Oxford isn't one of them, there are only, like, four. Good about ECON though. I might take it instead of biology or classics, but is it going to be difficult to take economics without maths?
Sorry, there's been a lot of speculation about that kind of stuff, there are some Universities that don't count Law as an A level, but Oxford isn't one of them, there are only, like, four. Good about ECON though. I might take it instead of biology or classics, but is it going to be difficult to take economics without maths?

If you aren’t doing econ at uni and just a level I’m with edexcel the maths you use is just formulas so little skill is needed so you’ll be fine :smile:

just don't do economics if you are sh** at maths
Reply 7
I'm not bad at it, Predicted grade 8 at GCSE. Will that level of Knowledge be enough, or do i need an a level in core maths

Quick Reply

Latest