Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Plagerism. Please give advice :( watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. This is my first post on here and I'm very scared. Basically I'm in my first year and I turned my first essay in the other day. I ended up with a 23% similarity score. Which I've heard is fine (even from my teacher), however one paragraph in my essay me and my friend helped each other out on. And we used the same quote from the same book. When I looked at my similarity scores in my essay. One thing that was highlighted was 2 sentences in my essay that were the same as my friends. So we have 2 sentences and a quote which are identical. However when I clicked on the highlighted sentence it was only 2% on my overall similarity. So not a lot. The rest of our paragraphs were similar but not identical so they were not highlighted. However I'm very scared I'll et done for plagiarism. I have never been a naughty kid ever and would never intentionally cheat. I have heard some universities kick students out straight away for plagerism but I'm not even in my second term yet ! And I guess it was only 2%. My friend is not worried but I'm typically a worrier and it's getting to me. I'd love any advice. Thankyou guys

ReputationRep:
    23% or 2%?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Eh?

You're using a quote and commenting on it. You'll never be marked down for quoting a source.

As for the similarity, students are allowed to draw the same conclusions from the same sources.

Relax.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wouldnt worry about it, using the same quote does not plagerism make - unless your further work from it is overly similar then that becomes a bit more suspect.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thankyou!! It's just 2 of our sentences are the same (and highlighted) As we were doing the start of the paragraph together. And we came up with similar conclusions from the quote but not exactly the same. As he was doing his essay on Adidas and mine was Nike. But we didn't the same quote when writing about the same theoretical model. But it's just those 2 sentnaces. It's not much at all

ReputationRep:
    23% is a low score, you're gonna be fine.

And the lecturers understand that it's your first uni essay so you're bound to make some silly mistakes, just avoid doing that in future especially in your second year ☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qam)
    23% or 2%?
    23% overall similarity
    2% was the same as his. (2 sentences)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWCoffee)
    Eh?

You're using a quote and commenting on it. You'll never be marked down for quoting a source.

As for the similarity, students are allowed to draw the same conclusions from the same sources.

Relax.
    Ok thankyou!! It's just 2 of our sentences are the same (and highlighted) As we were doing the start of the paragraph together. And we came up with similar conclusions from the quote but not exactly the same. As he was doing his essay on Adidas and mine was Nike. But we didn't the same quote when writing about the same theoretical model. But it's just those 2 sentnaces. It's not much at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seasidestudy)

And the lecturers understand that it's your first uni essay so you're bound to make some silly mistakes, just avoid doing that in future especially in your second year ☺
    I really do appreciate that reply!! It's just scary as we worked on this one paragraph together and used the same quote form the same book when discussing the same theoretical model. And we drew similar conclusions but not the same as we were doing different companies. But 2 sentences were exactly the same. And they are highlighted. But it's only 2%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljlj100)
    I really do appreciate that reply!! It's just scary as we worked on this one paragraph together and used the same quote form the same book when discussing the same theoretical model. And we drew similar conclusions but not the same as we were doing different companies. But 2 sentences were exactly the same. And they are highlighted. But it's only 2%
    No worries 😊 ahhh don't be worried, 2% for that little bit is absolutely fine. If you get overall scores of 25-30+% then start worrying but you're gonna do great, good luck!!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    No worries 😊 ahhh don't be worried, 2% for that little bit is absolutely fine. If you get overall scores of 25-30+% then start worrying but you're gonna do great, good luck!!
    Ok thankyou! I think my overall similarity score without references was like 7% but it's just the fact that the 2 sentences were exact and it was the same quote/same model. Plus the levturer knows we are best mates!

ReputationRep:
    It'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    It'll be fine.
    By that do you mean they won't get me for plagerism?
    Or they won't kick me out?

And thankyou for the response

ReputationRep:
    Helping each other is collusion not plagiarism

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. This is my first post on here and I'm very scared. Basically I'm in my first year and I turned my first essay in the other day. I ended up with a 23% similarity score. Which I've heard is fine (even from my teacher), however one paragraph in my essay me and my friend helped each other out on. And we used the same quote from the same book. When I looked at my similarity scores in my essay. One thing that was highlighted was 2 sentences in my essay that were the same as my friends. So we have 2 sentences and a quote which are identical. However when I clicked on the highlighted sentence it was only 2% on my overall similarity. So not a lot. The rest of our paragraphs were similar but not identical so they were not highlighted. However I'm very scared I'll et done for plagiarism. I have never been a naughty kid ever and would never intentionally cheat. I have heard some universities kick students out straight away for plagerism but I'm not even in my second term yet ! And I guess it was only 2%. My friend is not worried but I'm typically a worrier and it's getting to me. I'd love any advice. Thankyou guys
    Let it be a lesson to you and don't do it again. In fact, if anything tends to worry you because you know that it's wrong, don't do it. Imagine a life without guilt and worry!

ReputationRep:
    By that do you mean they won't get me for plagerism?
    Or they won't kick me out?

And thankyou for the response
    No, they won't, chill out.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw M Thomas)
    Let it be a lesson to you and don't do it again. In fact, if anything tends to worry you because you know that it's wrong, don't do it. Imagine a life without guilt and worry!
    Ok! Believe me I'll never do it again. I'm just so scared of being kicked out!

ReputationRep:
    I never understood the 'we worked on a paragraph together' rationale. By all means discuss ideas, books, thoughts, authors etc but always write your own work, and don't give it to anyone else for any reason. Unless it's a group task then do it yourself.

You'll probably be fine on this occasion, but learn the lesson for next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    I never understood the 'we worked on a paragraph together' rationale. By all means discuss ideas, books, thoughts, authors etc but always write your own work, and don't give it to anyone else for any reason. Unless it's a group task then do it yourself.

You'll probably be fine on this occasion, but learn the lesson for next time.
    Ok thankyou!!

We wrote our own work pretty much. We did it on two different organisations! But we concluded the same thing from the same quote, and 2 sentences happened to be exactly the same.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.