Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My car just got written off after being involved in a crash and the money I got back is not enough to get a car of the same standard. I know this is the least of my worries but I’m already sad that I won’t see my car again so to downgrade wouldn’t alleviate that in any way, and besides the whole experience was so traumatic I don’t really want anothercar anyway! I still have 11 months insurance left though and as I’ve made a claim it’s obviously not possible to cancel the policy now. I highly doubt it is but thought it’d be worthing asking if it is at all possible for me to transfer this insurance policy onto the family car that already has a separate insurance policy on it? Thanks.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    New driver? month in and written off by any chance? Not taking a dig just asking for some extra context

As for getting you on your family car insurance it could be possible but if you're a new driver then expect to have a black box fitted and premiums will be a few grand due to the recent claim i reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koosepat)
    New driver? month in and written off by any chance? Not taking a dig just asking for some extra context

As for getting you on your family car insurance it could be possible but if you're a new driver then expect to have a black box fitted and premiums will be a few grand due to the recent claim i reckon.
    Yes, didn’t even last a month though, only 6 days☹️ It was an unfortunate accident for me as I hit a dark coloured car that didn’t have lights on in pitch black darkness. My word against hers though and I’ve been put fully at fault as my insurance don’t think it’s worth arguing for partial blame.

As I’m new I’m obviously not really familiar with insurance and all that, but even if I were to get another car and transfer my existing policy onto it, can I expect a significant increase in my premium? I probably won’t be renewing insurance next year anyway as I’m going to uni, so I really just need something to last me for the end of the year. I had a pretty nice car though so to downgrade after crashing it 6 days in is obviously quite embarrassing! Hence why I thought it might’ve been easier to transfer it onto my mums car if possible to save me the hassle of getting a new car as the whole experience has kind of put me off driving a lot anyway so I’d only use it if it’s really necessary. I do have black box insurance atm which was £1200 annually paid up front. I’ve already wasted so much money so I really can’t afford for my premium to change significantly😩

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if the current premiums would increase i would imagine not if you paid up front and you've received the money from the claim but I can't say for sure as luckily I haven't had to claim or go through insurance yet, your premiums will rise if you look for a new policy or renew, and a different car might not be covered under the same policy your insurance might ask to make amends to it perhaps and then they might charge you more? I wouldn't know best to call up your insurance help line and ask the questions yourself

also it might be a good idea to get a cheap dash cam to make sure you aren't caught out being a new driver, so many new drivers get the blame when sometimes it just isn't their fault entirely/at all

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if the current premiums would increase i would imagine not if you paid up front and you've received the money from the claim but I can't say for sure as luckily I haven't had to claim or go through insurance yet, your premiums will rise if you look for a new policy or renew, and a different car might not be covered under the same policy your insurance might ask to make amends to it perhaps and then they might charge you more? I wouldn't know best to call up your insurance help line and ask the questions yourself

also it might be a good idea to get a cheap dash cam to make sure you aren't caught out being a new driver, so many new drivers get the blame when sometimes it just isn't their fault entirely/at all
    Thanks for commenting! I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I have to phone the insurance anyway as they decided to write off my car as the engineer, who is basing this off pictures and hasn’t actually seen the car at all, thinks there may be an underlying problem with the car that would cost me more money to fix on top of my excess. He just informed me of this and then said if I decide to allow for total loss he’d probably be able to value it at x amount. I told him that I wasn’t really in a place to discuss it at that exact moment but that it sounded like the best option, however I definitely didn’t agree on anything yet, certainly not the price. This was a few days ago and I was just sorting out the car paperwork when I got an email earlier saying they transferred the estimated money minus the excess over to me! That was totally unexpected, but anyways, this whole experience has been an absolute nightmare. All my friends are loving being out on the road and all I’ve done is stress stress stress since getting a car😂

ReputationRep:

+1 for getting a dash cam, too many silly drivers on the road and like the one you encountered who will try and shift the blame
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cxrwl)
    My car just got written off after being involved in a crash and the money I got back is not enough to get a car of the same standard. I know this is the least of my worries but I’m already sad that I won’t see my car again so to downgrade wouldn’t alleviate that in any way, and besides the whole experience was so traumatic I don’t really want anothercar anyway! I still have 11 months insurance left though and as I’ve made a claim it’s obviously not possible to cancel the policy now. I highly doubt it is but thought it’d be worthing asking if it is at all possible for me to transfer this insurance policy onto the family car that already has a separate insurance policy on it? Thanks.
    You can't have two active policies on the same car.

It's worth noting that you should never accept the first offer for write off valuation, but, as you've already got the money, it's a bit late now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)

It's worth noting that you should never accept the first offer for write off valuation, but, as you've already got the money, it's a bit late now..
    I haven’t got the money yet, just a confirmation that it has been sent and will be here soon. I also never agreed to the amount. The engineer that phoned me knew I was in school and not really in a place to talk and he said he would keep it quick and just tell me of his findings which he did and he estimated he could get x amount for it. Then the next day I suddenly get an email saying that this x amount is on its way which was quite a shock as I never agreed to it, I only agreed that it was best to go for total loss. Nothing I can do about it now though unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    It’s also worth mentioning that although the valuation is slightly on the low side, it’s already £350 more than what I paid for the car which they are aware of, therefore I think it would be difficult to argue for more anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cxrwl)
    It’s also worth mentioning that although the valuation is slightly on the low side, it’s already £350 more than what I paid for the car which they are aware of, therefore I think it would be difficult to argue for more anyway.
    You should be able to get a like for like replacement with the payout, and you can argue this with them. If the figure they're giving you doesn't get you the same car in the same condition, you have grounds to ask for more.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to get a like for like replacement with the payout, and you can argue this with them. If the figure they're giving you doesn't get you the same car in the same condition, you have grounds to ask for more.
    I think the figure is a little on the low side but still sufficient, but I also had a £500 excess to pay hence what I got back is a bit less than what I paid for the car. Ideally we were hoping for £200 more so I would get back what I paid for it without losing out any money, but I think it’s too late to negotiate on that now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cxrwl)
    I think the figure is a little on the low side but still sufficient, but I also had a £500 excess to pay hence what I got back is a bit less than what I paid for the car. Ideally we were hoping for £200 more so I would get back what I paid for it without losing out any money, but I think it’s too late to negotiate on that now.
    Doesn't hurt to ask them!

ReputationRep:

I agree.
    I would just get another car.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.