Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will the University accept these Severe Adverse Circumstances? Watch

I live with just my mum, whose interest only mortgage expires next October. She is unwell and isn't being very proactive with things, and it is likely that my dad will try to take as much money from the house as possible.

Naturally this situation is awful - being uncertain about my housing future - it is causing me so many difficulties with depression etc.

Firstly, do you think I should tell the Uni about this? I feel that this is so hard, as I am just so ashamed about it.

Is there anything they can do to help. At the very least, would them being aware make it likely for them to take into account the inevitable effects of this situation on my academic performance? I'm in second year now so things are just beginning to count.

Is there any other help I can get with this?

This situation is awful and is causing me so much worry, however, I have worked so hard to get to Uni that I am trying to minimise the effects of it on my academic work.

If I had to drop out because of this then I think doing so would break me.

Anyone??

ReputationRep:
    Tell both student finance and uni.

(Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    Tell both student finance and uni.
    Why would SFE need to know? At the moment I have only told the person who assessed my Asperers.

I have spoke to my GP about the enhance s depression it has caused me this term but have not mentioned the reasons for it to him.

I have another appointment with him tomorrow as I have just fallen so far behind with essays that I risk getting into trouble without medical evidence/asking for mitigation because of these circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why would SFE need to know? At the moment I have only told the person who assessed my Asperers.

I have spoke to my GP about the enhance s depression it has caused me this term but have not mentioned the reasons for it to him.

I have another appointment with him tomorrow as I have just fallen so far behind with essays that I risk getting into trouble without medical evidence/asking for mitigation because of these circumstances.
    Because your situation at home is about to change, they might increase your loan. Asking a load of randomers about this isn’t going to cut it, you need to seek professional advice from the uni

(Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    Because your situation at home is about to change, they might increase your loan. Asking a load of randomers about this isn’t going to cut it, you need to seek professional advice from the uni
    I just feel so embarrassed to tell them that I am likely to be homeless this time next year. I've been putting it off because I have been so worried.

ReputationRep:
    I just feel so embarrassed to tell them that I am likely to be homeless this time next year. I've been putting it off because I have been so worried.
    There are plenty of people like you, you’re not in a completely different scenario, it happens. It is actually against the law to make judgement of someone giving confidential information, so there. However you will look very silly by not saying anything because if you leave it too late they can’t help you.

It's just so hard for me to speak up about it bc I feel so ashamed about it.

ReputationRep:
    It's just so hard for me to speak up about it bc I feel so ashamed about it.
    The uni had thousands of students every year. They hear all sorts of stories which are a lot more shameful than yours! Your story is nothing to be ashamed about.

(Original post by doodle_333)
    The uni had thousands of students every year. They hear all sorts of stories which are a lot more shameful than yours! Your story is nothing to be ashamed about.
    Thank you very much for the reassurance. I just wonder, are my circumstances serious enough to warrant requests for mitigation? I have Aspergers and suffer from quite a bit of anxiety, so it's hard not to overfocus on it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the reassurance. I just wonder, are my circumstances serious enough to warrant requests for mitigation? I have Aspergers and suffer from quite a bit of anxiety, so it's hard not to overfocus on it.
    You should focus on the effects not the situation - the effect is severe anxiety and depression so that certainly warrants mitigating circumstances. It doesn't really matter what the cause is. And don't feel bad for asking, lots of people get help during uni at some point, you won't be granted mitigating circs if you don't deserve them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.