amz00
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I can't decide whether to study criminology or criminology with psychology at uni? My main areas of interest are (obviously) crime, as well as the criminal justice system, causes, how it can be reduced etc. However, I'm also really interested in people (particularly offenders), why they commit crime etc, but I don't know if the psychology aspect would be too 'sciencey' (I know, it is a science obvious) but if it is too biology-focused, I may not find it enjoyable/may struggle. Any help/advice would be really appreciated (particularly if anyone has done/is doing crim with psych!)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by amz00)
I can't decide whether to study criminology or criminology with psychology at uni? My main areas of interest are (obviously) crime, as well as the criminal justice system, causes, how it can be reduced etc. However, I'm also really interested in people (particularly offenders), why they commit crime etc, but I don't know if the psychology aspect would be too 'sciencey' (I know, it is a science obvious) but if it is too biology-focused, I may not find it enjoyable/may struggle. Any help/advice would be really appreciated (particularly if anyone has done/is doing crim with psych!)
When it comes to choosing between courses, then you may want to:

1. Look at the course modules in detail.
2. Weigh up whether doing Psych will hep you v what you will miss ut on with straight crim as you will be only half the depth.
3. Crim should cover sociological and psychological aspects.
4. Look at future jobs and what is useful for you , whether jobs require a full criminology degree?
Alice.atlanta
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would encourage you to look up criminal psychology at the university of derby! if you are interested in why people offend this is for you! it is not too science based and the lectures are shared between crim psych modules and criminology modules. If you want any more info feel free to message! Be careful with joint honours crim and psych though, that won't be the subject you want to study. In joint honours you could be learning about rehabilitation in crim and mathematical anxiety in psych, at derby though crim psych is an independent subject (only offered in 3 unis at the moment!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (641)
48.56%
No (679)
51.44%

Watched Threads