The Student Room Group

Keeping luggage safe on a long train journey

I'll be heading home for Christmas next week, and I'll be taking a rucksack and a suitcase with me. My train journey will take 4.5 hours. I obviously can't keep my suitcase that close to me at all times, especially if I need to pop to the loo, so does anyone have any tips on how to keep your luggage safe on long journeys like this?
I'm wondering this too, I'm going on a long train journey similar to yours in length (although mine has a change in between) so I'll be watching this thread.
Tie or fix the suitcase and rucksack together and it will make it difficult and obvious if someone tried to take either of them. Cable ties are useful. A thin chain and small padlock or a cycle security device.

When I traveled as a young man I used to tie my rucksack to my belt when I grabbed some sleep in public places.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I'll be heading home for Christmas next week, and I'll be taking a rucksack and a suitcase with me. My train journey will take 4.5 hours. I obviously can't keep my suitcase that close to me at all times, especially if I need to pop to the loo, so does anyone have any tips on how to keep your luggage safe on long journeys like this?

Original post by DrawTheLine
I'm wondering this too, I'm going on a long train journey similar to yours in length (although mine has a change in between) so I'll be watching this thread.

Hi Both

It takes me over 5 hours to get home from university (I had the mentality of get me as far away from home as possible when choosing my university!), I have to change 3 times including the tube and I have never had a problem about my luggage.

Some trains will often have luggage compartments at the end of the carriages and these are pretty safe, especially if your luggage is mixed in with others. If you find yourself on a train that doesn't have this, then it is totally understandable to take up 2 seats.

If you are worried about your luggage, then just make sure to keep any valuable items on you so that you know they'll be close to you at all times :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi Both

It takes me over 5 hours to get home from university (I had the mentality of get me as far away from home as possible when choosing my university!), I have to change 3 times including the tube and I have never had a problem about my luggage.

Some trains will often have luggage compartments at the end of the carriages and these are pretty safe, especially if your luggage is mixed in with others. If you find yourself on a train that doesn't have this, then it is totally understandable to take up 2 seats.

If you are worried about your luggage, then just make sure to keep any valuable items on you so that you know they'll be close to you at all times :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep

Thanks so much! Yeah I was thinking there might be compartments for suitcases, especially on long journeys.
If you are taking a long journey trip, your luggage should be pretty safe. I take trains to and from London a tonne (3-4 hour trip), and I have never had an incident where anyone has broken into my suitcase. If you are worried, try to get on the train first so you can stuff your suitcase further towards the back of shelving. People, if they have the intent to interfere, will be less inclined breaking into your stuff.

The other tips are pretty nifty though, I just wanted to provide some reassurance.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune

As others have said,make sure you keep electronic items and other valuables in a bag with you and you should be fine.

If you are booking in advance to get a cheap ticket you can often chose your seat (Virgin trains let you do this) and you can pick one at the end of the carriage near the luggage racks if you're worried.

I suspect "normal" holdalls, cases etc are not much of a target for thieves (hardly worth the risk for someones dirty washing!) although if you have expensive, designer luggage it may be more of an issue. It's surprising how many unattended phones, laptops etc there are and these would make a much more attractive target for thieves.
Reply 7
Aside from padlocking it there isnt much you can do.
Don't leave valuables in your case as you might not be able to keep it in view. Keep your rucksack with you at all times. If you're really paranoid you can stand near your case but TBH people aren't likely to steal a suitcase full of clothes... just put something eyecatching on it so no one can take it by accident.

Quick Reply

Latest