Remedies for seeming breaks in Long Residency Category Watch

username2845646
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This question is aimed at a student finance rep/advisor, however if you have relevant experience that you feel by sharing would help answer the question then by all means go a head.

If a student is unable to provide evidence for a gap in their long residence. What alternatives have student finance come up with to help such applicants? Or is it a case of black and white, it’s either they do or don’t .
Stuart SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Daneille)
This question is aimed at a student finance rep/advisor, however if you have relevant experience that you feel by sharing would help answer the question then by all means go a head.

If a student is unable to provide evidence for a gap in their long residence. What alternatives have student finance come up with to help such applicants? Or is it a case of black and white, it’s either they do or don’t .
Hi Danielle,

I have a couple of questions about the situation:

- How long is the gap?

- What is the reason for the gap?

Thanks,

Stuart
username2845646
Rep:
?
The gap is for one and a half year during a 15 year period.

The reason for the gap is that the home office had the applicants documents thus preventing them from working , claiming state benefits or travelling outside the uk.
Stuart SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The gap is for one and a half year during a 15 year period.

The reason for the gap is that the home office had the applicants documents thus preventing them from working , claiming state benefits or travelling outside the uk.
Hi Daneille,

It is the student's responsibility to provide evidence confirming their status within the UK.

However, if the student has no other evidence options available to them they should send us a letter explaining in detail why they are unable to provide supporting evidence. We may be able to check this directly with the Home Office.

Regards,

Stuart
username2845646
Rep:
?
Hi Stuart,

My initial question as seen above initially queried about RESIDENCY evidence and not status evidence.

As I can recall, there are two separate categories of evidence and they do not interlink.

So to rephrase my question in a simpler term: what can an individual with no letters or proof of period for a year long gap during a very long period in time (15 years) do as a substitute? What if for example, the individual did not receive any letter for that year and as mentioned previously their documents were with the home office which meant they could not open bank accounts, work or rent a house? What remedies are in place for such applicants ?
Stuart SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Stuart,

My initial question as seen above initially queried about RESIDENCY evidence and not status evidence.

As I can recall, there are two separate categories of evidence and they do not interlink.

So to rephrase my question in a simpler term: what can an individual with no letters or proof of period for a year long gap during a very long period in time (15 years) do as a substitute? What if for example, the individual did not receive any letter for that year and as mentioned previously their documents were with the home office which meant they could not open bank accounts, work or rent a house? What remedies are in place for such applicants ?
Hi Daneille,

What was the housing situation during the period? And how old was the individual at the time?

Thanks,

Stuart
username2845646
Rep:
?
The individual was residing with relatives and they’re name aren’t on the tenancy agreement.

The individual was over the age of 18 at the time and was not in work or education or claiming benefits. They were just waiting for the home office to make a decision for a year and a half during which they could not have travelled outside the uk as the home office had their documents as evidence during this period
Catherine SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The individual was residing with relatives and they’re name aren’t on the tenancy agreement.

The individual was over the age of 18 at the time and was not in work or education or claiming benefits. They were just waiting for the home office to make a decision for a year and a half during which they could not have travelled outside the uk as the home office had their documents as evidence during this period
Hi Daneille,

We do have situations like this where people can't provide evidence, but the processing department will ask for this evidence to process the application.

The student can send in a letter from someone upstanding in the community that knows about his situation.

• A letter from your social worker
  • A letter from an advice worker, personal tutor or teacher
  • If you have visited your doctor, a letter to confirm your circumstances
  • A letter from a counsellor, an organisation, employer or a charity
  • A statutory declaration signed/stamped by solicitor
  • A letter from a solicitor
  • any Independent person with good standing in the community.

Thanks

Catherine
username2845646
Rep:
?
Hi,

I’m quite confused, The applicant wasn’t estranged from their parents or anything. They just were not officially on the tenancy agreement. It is important to stress that this is not a case of the applicant being estranged from their parents, it’s just that they were not on the tenancy agreement as they had no right to be, and as mentioned documents were with H.O so they couldn’t get proof of id without the documents that the H.O had.
Catherine SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

I’m quite confused, The applicant wasn’t estranged from their parents or anything. They just were not officially on the tenancy agreement. It is important to stress that this is not a case of the applicant being estranged from their parents, it’s just that they were not on the tenancy agreement as they had no right to be, and as mentioned documents were with H.O so they couldn’t get proof of id without the documents that the H.O had.
Hi Daneille,

Does the student not have anyone that can sent in a letter confirming his situation?

Thanks

Catherine
username2845646
Rep:
?
Yes a solicitor has written a letter confirming that an application was made in the UK to the home office during the time gap and the client could not claim benefits or work during that time.But would that be enough residency evidence?
Catherine SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 75016586)
Yes a solicitor has written a letter confirming that an application was made in the UK to the home office during the time gap and the client could not claim benefits or work during that time.But would that be enough residency evidence?
Hi Daneille,

This is acceptable evidence as long as the solicitor confirms that dates the evidence was with the Home Office.

Thanks

Catherine
username2845646
Rep:
?
Thank you Catherine for your helpful and speedy responses, it is genuinely appreciated . Have a wonderful day !
username2845646
Rep:
?
Hi

Could you advise me on what the standard processing period is at present for evidence (both residency and status evidence) and also what procedure is in place to notify applicants of changes in processing times ? Would they have to ring to find out or is there something in place that will keep them informed of changes i.e email alerts for example.
Louise E SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi

Could you advise me on what the standard processing period is at present for evidence (both residency and status evidence) and also what procedure is in place to notify applicants of changes in processing times ? Would they have to ring to find out or is there something in place that will keep them informed of changes i.e email alerts for example.
Hi Daneille,

Residency evidence and status evidence is currently taking approximately 4 weeks from the date received. Processing times are subject to change depending on workflow. We do not contact student's with any change in processing times. We would contact students usually by letter once their accounts have been updated in some cases an assessor may email a student directly , this would be at an assessor's discretion. The student can also track their progress online .

Thanks

Louise
username2845646
Rep:
?
What if the evidence l was received before the processing time change ?
Louise E SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What if the evidence l was received before the processing time change ?
Hi Danielle,

All evidence is processed in date order from when it is received. Processing times change on a daily basis and evidence would still be processed from the date we receive it. The only thing that may change is the timescale, as we work with a live system so waiting times change daily.

Thanks

Louise
username2845646
Rep:
?
Ok thanks. I hope these responses provide help for other enquiring applicants
johnny9765
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi username2845646I am currently in the exact same position, student finance have asked for 15 years worth of documents but they have not accepted documents I provided for a 18 month period and I'm currently appealing at stage 1.Did you manage to get your application approved? Did you go through the appeal stages?
Wisedebra77
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, What’s the difference between status evidence and residency evidence. I have evidence I’ve lived in the uk from 2004- Current. But my limited leave to remain covers 2013,2014,2015,2016 and 2018 as in 2017 my documents were with the Home Office as my parents didn’t have the money to pay for the charges straight away so there was a delay , eventually was granted in 2018. Because of that I don’t have any letters of the sort for 2017 as my parent didn’t receive any state benefits and all over letters were in their name not mine as I was 16 at the time.
Just wondering what can I do ?
Last edited by Wisedebra77; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (291)
65.54%
No (153)
34.46%

Watched Threads