The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria PGCE Primary Interview 2018/19

Hey,

I recently had an interview with Northumbria University for Primary PGCE starting in 2018. I couldn't find much about recent interviews when I was prepping so I thought I'd share my experience.

First of all it's really relaxed, they do a presentation and tell you all about the course and what's expected. Everyone was extremely friendly!

Then you're split into groups and given a childen's book to read. You have to read it to two interviewers as a group and answer questions. The questions are quite easy and focused on the importance of reading and the different ways you can do a reading lesson.

Then you are given a maths exercise: it's a pupils worksheet on 3D and 2D shapes. We were asked similar questions such as what age range do we think it is? What would our next lesson be? What homework would you set? etc.

Then you wait to be called for your 15 mins interview. They set a timer and have a bank of interview questions so everyone gets asked different things.

Potential questions are:
- what sparked your intrest in teaching?
- what is the professional role of a teacher?
- what makes a good working relationship?
- describe a good working relationship you've experienced?
- what will you find most challenging about the course?

Hope this helps! :smile:
This was super helpful, thank you so much!

I’m hoping to apply to Northumbria for Primary PGCE also, I just need to gain more experience first. Hopefully I’ll have my application sent off before the end of January.

If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of experience did you have prior to the interview and how much experience did you have?

Hope your interview went well! All the best :smile:
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
This is so helpful I have my interview on 16th so thank you for sharing this
I also have my interview on the 16th, very nervous! Thanks for the info!
Reply 4
Is your interview at 1 too?
Original post by Siomo
Is your interview at 1 too?

Yes 1pm :smile:
Reply 6
Hi guys,I have my interview with northumbria for PGCE primary teaching on tuesday. Just wondering are the maths sheets as simple as 2d/3d shapes or do they include any tests on percetages and fractions etc? Also, are there any group presentations?Thank you!
Hey guys!

I have my interview on 23rd February so I’m super nervous but also excited!

Hope your interviews went well :smile:
Hi,
I have my interview on the 23rd too!

I was just wondering, for the people who have had their interview since the OP, did you get given the same maths activity that is described?
I know programmes such as Teach First change their activities on a rotational basis, so just wondered whether I need to prepare myself for the possibility of the world beyond 2D/3D shapes.

Hope everyone's interviews went well!
Reply 9
Hi, I have my interview at Northumbria on Monday Just wanted to know roughly what to expect? The email invitation doesn’t give much away. Can anyone give me an outline to what they had to do on the day. Thank you and hope all your interviews went well!
Reply 10
Hey I have my interview in 2 weeks im so nervous but this info was super helpful thank you!I've read some forums which say they were given a question and had to do a 2 minute presentation on their question (but that was from 2012) so was just wondering if you had to do anything like that? thanks so much again for your help
Reply 11
Original post by bd3196
Hey I have my interview in 2 weeks im so nervous but this info was super helpful thank you!I've read some forums which say they were given a question and had to do a 2 minute presentation on their question (but that was from 2012) so was just wondering if you had to do anything like that? thanks so much again for your help

Hi, I had my interview at Northumbria and got offered a place a week later. Il write down everything I remember in the hope that it helps you.

You go into a room and everyone is given the same presentation- about the course and university etc.
Then you get separated into groups (I think this was for the two seperate routes into the pgce)

You get given a story book, each allocate yourself to a page and read the book as a group to three interviewers.

You get given a maths worksheet done by a child, the interviewers leave the room while you discuss it in threes/pairs.

They come back in and ask you questions like: what age, how would you elaborate on from this task, do you think they understood the task etc.
I found it difficult to get a word in in this task just because everyone wants to say something and stand out.

You then go back downstairs and the three interviewers call you back one by one for individual interviews. They ask questions like: when have you dealt with pressure, what made you want to become a teacher etc.

Then that’s your interview over, they say 3-4 days but it was a week for me.

Hope this has helped.
Reply 12
Does anyone know the exact start date for the course thanks!
My interview is 2nd May and I’m super nervous as this is my first choice! This has been so much help thank you!
Hi I just had my interview for September 2018 start. Just wondering how long it took for them to get back to you with an offer?
Ola!My interview is on May 30th and the above comments have provided great insight, so thank you all so much. If anyone has any further hints and tips it would be greatly appreciated :smile:Also, quick question: Is there a maths and english test? I read somewhere that there is but noone seems to have mentioned it?Thank you!

Quick Reply