The Student Room Group

Ratio

Amy, Beth and Chloe share £660 between them. Amy received the largest amount of £270. The ratio of Amy's share to Chloe's share is 3: 2. Work out the ratio of Beth's share to Chloe's share?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Bstanford
Amy, Beth and Chloe share £660 between them. Amy received the largest amount of £270. The ratio of Amy's share to Chloe's share is 3: 2. Work out the ratio of Beth's share to Chloe's share?

What have you tried? If Amy received £270 and the ratio of Amy to Chloe is 3:2, how can you work out Chloe's share?
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
What have you tried? If Amy received £270 and the ratio of Amy to Chloe is 3:2, how can you work out Chloe's share?

I've tried using the ratio 3:2 with the number 270 to find out how much Chloe has. If Amy has 270 then there is 390 left for Chloe and Beth to have their shares. I'm currently trying to figure out what ratio of Beth to Chloe but have no information on Beth. If Amy received the most and the ratio of Amy to Chloe is 3:2 then I have assumed that Beth has less than Chloe based on the reasoning that usually questions don't give fractions or decimals in their ratios. It could be a fraction or decimal but I don't believe that it would be.
Reply 3
I've tried using the ratio 3:2 with the number 270 to find out how much Chloe has. If Amy has 270 then there is 390 left for Chloe and Beth to have their shares. I'm currently trying to figure out what ratio of Beth to Chloe but have no information on Beth. If Amy received the most and the ratio of Amy to Chloe is 3:2 then I have assumed that Beth has less than Chloe based on the reasoning that usually questions don't give fractions or decimals in their ratios. It could be a fraction or decimal but I don't believe that it would be.

Once you know Chloe's share you can find Beth's share so ignore Beth for now.

The question that you should be thinking about it is:

Amy gets £270 and the ratio of Amy to Chloe is 3:2. What does Chloe get?

You've probably done something like this before because it's a standard ratio question. Any ideas for how to find Chloe's share? If not I can guide you.
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
Once you know Chloe's share you can find Beth's share so ignore Beth for now.

The question that you should be thinking about it is:

You've probably done something like this before because it's a standard ratio question. Any ideas for how to find Chloe's share? If not I can guide you.

Apart from what I've tried, I'm a bit stuck so would like some guidance please.
Reply 5
Apart from what I've tried, I'm a bit stuck so would like some guidance please.

There are different approaches and I don’t know how you’ve been taught but I’ll give you one way:

Amy gets 3 parts and Chloe gets 2 parts.

So 3 parts is £270. What is 1 part?

Then from this what is 2 parts?

Post your thoughts/working if you’re unsure.
Reply 6
Original post by Notnek
There are different approaches and I don’t know how you’ve been taught but I’ll give you one way:

Amy gets 3 parts and Chloe gets 2 parts.

So 3 parts is £270. What is 1 part?

Then from this what is 2 parts?

Post your thoughts/working if you’re unsure.

What do I do from there. Your explanation is too vague.
Reply 7

It's hard to know what explanation would work for you here because this is a very standard ratio question. I think you need to ask your teacher to explain the topic to you. I'll show you the solution to this part of the question:

If 3 parts is £270 then 1 part is 270÷3=90270 \div 3 = 90.

Then if 1 part is £90, 2 parts is 90×2=18090 \times 2 = 180.

This means that if Amy gets £270, Chloe must get £180.

Can you carry on with the question now?
Reply 8

270+180+90 does not equal 660. 1 part would be 90 then 2 parts would be 180. Also remember what we are looking for is a ratio, the ratio of Beth to Chloe.
Reply 9
270+180+90 does not equal 660. 1 part would be 90 then 2 parts would be 180. Also remember what we are looking for is a ratio, the ratio of Beth to Chloe.

My working above is the answer to the question:

You have to answer this question first before you can do the rest of the working. So I'm saying that if Amy gets £270, Chloe must get £180 (because of the working I showed above).

Does this make sense? I haven't posted a full solution to your original question - I'm just showing you how to work out how much Chloe gets. You should be able to do the rest yourself.
Reply 10

I would take away 270 from 660 to get 390
And then add 3:2=5
390 / 5 = 78
3x78 =234 and then
2x78 = 156 and then hopefully by adding them you should get the original answer.
270+234+156= 660

234:156 here’s the answer
Reply 11
Original post by Notnek
My working above is the answer to the question:

You have to answer this question first before you can do the rest of the working. So I'm saying that if Amy gets £270, Chloe must get £180 (because of the working I showed above).

Does this make sense? I haven't posted a full solution to your original question - I'm just showing you how to work out how much Chloe gets. You should be able to do the rest yourself.

From my work I deduce that Chloe gets 180 and Beth gets 210 but when u simplify that, you get 7:6
Reply 12
From my work I deduce that Chloe gets 180 and Beth gets 210 but when u simplify that, you get 7:6

This is correct. Why the "but"?
Reply 13
Original post by KimNoel
I would take away 270 from 660 to get 390
And then add 3:2=5
390 / 5 = 78
3x78 =234 and then
2x78 = 156 and then hopefully by adding them you should get the original answer.
270+234+156= 660

234:156 here’s the answer

This is incorrect. You have assumed that 390 is the total that Amy and Chloe have but that's not right.

Also, please don't post full solutions in the maths forum. See the Posting Guidelines.
Reply 14
Thanks a lot. I wasn't 100% sure about my answer. You both gave me different answers nether of which I understood. The math is math so that part I understood except why u added 3 and 2 to get 5 am due then multiplied by 78. But I'll keep it noted for future use
Reply 15
*5 and then multiplied
Reply 16
Thanks a lot. I wasn't 100% sure about my answer. You both gave me different answers nether of which I understood. The math is math so that part I understood except why u added 3 and 2 to get 5 am due then multiplied by 78. But I'll keep it noted for future use

KimNoel's method is incorrect - don't try to understand it.

You need to be able to do a question like this:

Because it's a very standard question that you would get in a test. If you don't understand my working then please ask your teacher.
Amy gets £270
Chloe gets £180
Beth gets £210

Amy to Chloe is 3:2

Beth to Chloe is 2:2 or 2:2.3 (I'm not sure if you have decimal numbers in ratios)

I'm probably wrong since I haven't done maths in a very long time. 👀
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by ILuvFood1234
Amy gets £270
Chloe gets £180
Beth gets £210

Amy to Chloe is 3:2

Beth to Chloe is 2:2 or 2:2.3 (I'm not sure if you have decimal numbers in ratios)

I'm probably wrong since I haven't done maths in a very long time. 👀

No Beth to Chloe is 210 : 180.

If you simplify that (divide by 30) you get 7 : 6.
Original post by Notnek
No Beth to Chloe is 210 : 180.

If you simplify that (divide by 30) you get 7 : 6.

Oh ****, I forgot that part 😂 see what I mean when I'm **** at maths

Quick Reply

Latest