Hilmanzikry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently doing a-levels, for my ucas, my university of choices are manchester, kings, northumbria, leicester and liverpool. I’ve reciever an offer from leicester and northumbria but i got rejected from manchester. So now i’m left with liverpool and kings. Assuming that kings doesnt accept my offer while liverpool does, which uni should i choose? My next question is that i read on ucas it is possible for me to swap my uni of choice if the uni doesnt give their decision yet, my question is should i swap liverpool with essex as i see that essex is ranked quite high in times higher education ranking. My last question is, compared liverpool with leicester, which uni is better? Because on the complete university guide leicester is on 22nd place which is quite high for me. But my instinct told me that i shouldnt trust all this ranking thingy so much and i got no one else to ask. I hope you guys can help me. Thank you so much!
username2353215
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hilmanzikry)
I’m currently doing a-levels, for my ucas, my university of choices are manchester, kings, northumbria, leicester and liverpool. I’ve reciever an offer from leicester and northumbria but i got rejected from manchester. So now i’m left with liverpool and kings. Assuming that kings doesnt accept my offer while liverpool does, which uni should i choose? My next question is that i read on ucas it is possible for me to swap my uni of choice if the uni doesnt give their decision yet, my question is should i swap liverpool with essex as i see that essex is ranked quite high in times higher education ranking. My last question is, compared liverpool with leicester, which uni is better? Because on the complete university guide leicester is on 22nd place which is quite high for me. But my instinct told me that i shouldnt trust all this ranking thingy so much and i got no one else to ask. I hope you guys can help me. Thank you so much!

Firstly, I think you need to wait for replies from all universities before making your decision. Do not speculate and get yourself down about Kings rejecting you because Manchester did.

Having said this, If you do get an offer from Kings then I am guessing that you will take that as your firm choice? With regards to your query about swapping universities, I was not aware you could do this however, I applied 2 years ago so maybe things have changed. Nonetheless I would not advise you to swap Liverpool with Essex, simply because Liverpool is a Russell Group university and come to when you apply to vac schemes these small things all add up.

But, I think your satisfaction of where you think you will perform best trumps everything. If you feel that you do not like the city of Liverpool/Leicester and that you will not really be happy thus impact your grades then obviously you should go to a university where you feel comfortable. Although definitely choosing Essex if you get an offer from Kings will be very foolish (not that you would do this anyway).

Like you said, take league tables very lightly they mean very little in a world where Coventry was ranked top ahead of Cambridge, LSE, Oxford. This sets out how unreliable these tables have become and they should definitely not be used as a sole indicator of how "good" a university is.

EDIT: With regards to your last point; I would say Liverpool as they are both evenly matched in terms of status but simply due to the Russell Group status I would go with Liverpool. Many people will tell you Russell Group does not matter etc but it does and it is misguiding to tell you otherwise.
Hilmanzikry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by TSRFT8)
Firstly, I think you need to wait for replies from all universities before making your decision. Do not speculate and get yourself down about Kings rejecting you because Manchester did.

Having said this, If you do get an offer from Kings then I am guessing that you will take that as your firm choice? With regards to your query about swapping universities, I was not aware you could do this however, I applied 2 years ago so maybe things have changed. Nonetheless I would not advise you to swap Liverpool with Essex, simply because Liverpool is a Russell Group university and come to when you apply to vac schemes these small things all add up.

But, I think your satisfaction of where you think you will perform best trumps everything. If you feel that you do not like the city of Liverpool/Leicester and that you will not really be happy thus impact your grades then obviously you should go to a university where you feel comfortable. Although definitely choosing Essex if you get an offer from Kings will be very foolish (not that you would do this anyway).

Like you said, take league tables very lightly they mean very little in a world where Coventry was ranked top ahead of Cambridge, LSE, Oxford. This sets out how unreliable these tables have become and they should definitely not be used as a sole indicator of how "good" a university is.

EDIT: With regards to your last point; I would say Liverpool as they are both evenly matched in terms of status but simply due to the Russell Group status I would go with Liverpool. Many people will tell you Russell Group does not matter etc but it does and it is misguiding to tell you otherwise.
Thank you very much! You make me feel better I was actually kind of devastated when manchester rejected my offer because my firm choice is Kings. Seeing that manchester rejected me, kind of make me lose hope that Kings will accept me. Regarding the city life of the universities, which one do you think is the best ? I’m from Malaysia so i kinda not sure which is the best. I’ve watched a couple of videos on youtube about northumbria and liverpool. I dont seem to find any regarding leicester. It would be really helpful if you can tell me how is it like living in leicester and also the nightlife there. I also would like to know out of the university life in my choices, which one you like the best ? Putting manchester and kings aside. Thank you!
username2353215
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hilmanzikry)
Thank you very much! You make me feel better I was actually kind of devastated when manchester rejected my offer because my firm choice is Kings. Seeing that manchester rejected me, kind of make me lose hope that Kings will accept me. Regarding the city life of the universities, which one do you think is the best ? I’m from Malaysia so i kinda not sure which is the best. I’ve watched a couple of videos on youtube about northumbria and liverpool. I dont seem to find any regarding leicester. It would be really helpful if you can tell me how is it like living in leicester and also the nightlife there. I also would like to know out of the university life in my choices, which one you like the best ? Putting manchester and kings aside. Thank you!
There is no need to be dis-heartened, most universities look at applications very differently. I was rejected from Warwick but accepted into LSE so there is no reason for you to give up all hope for Kings.

With regards to the city in general, i can only really give you an account from my brief visits to those cities (I live in London, and my university is in London so my exposure to other cities is only a brief visit to see friends etc).

I dont really want to comment on the cities as my very basic knowledge of them may put you off, I will try and best describe them from my quick visits. Liverpool is a larger city; however Leicester (personally) feels more student populated. There are two universities and the city i felt is a lot more diverse then Liverpool (diverse referring to ethnic groups etc). Leicester is also very central as compared to the UK which access to many cities at very short distances - Birmingham, London to mention a few with the former only about a 20/30 minute train journey away.

Liverpool is more North so travelling times to places such as London can exceed 4 hours. This translates into nightlife, many people can travel from Leicester to major cities such as Birmingham for nights out due to ease of access whereas with Liverpool I feel you are kind of stuck with Liverpool itself.
Again please do not use what I say as fact more as a mere guideline. Maybe there may be some people from those cities which can offer more in depth knowledge.

With regards to picking one of the two from a personal perspective, I would consider Leicester. Although again I would say you should research what firms these universities have links with etc - This provided that you do in fact want to practice law in this country. If not then then pick which ever university you like best. Videos of both universities and student life experiences can be found on their website and maybe even on this forum.

I hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.34%
No (317)
75.66%

Watched Threads