Turn on thread page Beta

NEW AQA languages spec watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of the 2016- syllabus for French/ Spanish?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like it. My school used OCR before apparently, but my teachers reckon that the AQA syllabus - especially for the speaking, since AQA have never used a presentation & discussion for their exams before - will be easier this year.

I study Spanish and I love the course as a whole. I was worried about the speaking until recently, when I started to prepare what I'm doing, and I can honestly say that it's the writing exam that could catch me out if anything. The topics are great and the selections for the films and texts are nice and broad.

Still, fingers crossed for the lower grade boundaries!

Edit: My assumption is that this is regarding the A Level courses...? I just realised that I didn't check, whoops! xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyrjcecil)
    What do you think of the 2016- syllabus for French/ Spanish?
    I, as a whole, like it. I do French and Spanish on the new spec and the topics are incredibly contemporary and up to date (one of the graphs that was in the Spanish A2 book was from 2016!!) which I think makes it easier as we can use our own opinions for a lot of the topics such as unemployment, gay marriage and contemporary music. Although I think the IRP section for the speaking is a bit annoying, as well as our measly 5 minutes prep time (it used to be 15 minutes or more) I do enjoy having discussions with my teacher about what we learn. I am really hoping for low grade boundaries though, I always get 10/12 on the summaries and my translations are always partly wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
    I, as a whole, like it. I do French and Spanish on the new spec and the topics are incredibly contemporary and up to date (one of the graphs that was in the Spanish A2 book was from 2016!!) which I think makes it easier as we can use our own opinions for a lot of the topics such as unemployment, gay marriage and contemporary music. Although I think the IRP section for the speaking is a bit annoying, as well as our measly 5 minutes prep time (it used to be 15 minutes or more) I do enjoy having discussions with my teacher about what we learn. I am really hoping for low grade boundaries though, I always get 10/12 on the summaries and my translations are always partly wrong!
    I love that it's all relevant, I just wish there were less to cover! 2 essays is too much when you add in a speaking project and a speaking card which could be from any of the topics in the last 2 years and I just ...it's just....too much! It's unrealistic I think to expect teachers to have enough time to cover all bases! I too like the fact that we can research things and talk about them with the profs, I just really really hate the fact that there's a speaking card as WELL. pick one or the other AQA!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soybeano)
    I quite like it. My school used OCR before apparently, but my teachers reckon that the AQA syllabus - especially for the speaking, since AQA have never used a presentation & discussion for their exams before - will be easier this year.

I study Spanish and I love the course as a whole. I was worried about the speaking until recently, when I started to prepare what I'm doing, and I can honestly say that it's the writing exam that could catch me out if anything. The topics are great and the selections for the films and texts are nice and broad.

Still, fingers crossed for the lower grade boundaries!

Edit: My assumption is that this is regarding the A Level courses...? I just realised that I didn't check, whoops! xD
    Yes it's the A level course - I love the course from the first year - mostly - but I think the immigration/racism/conviviencia topics could be condensed into one or two, rather than three which literally preach the same thing!

ReputationRep:
    I love that it's all relevant, I just wish there were less to cover! 2 essays is too much when you add in a speaking project and a speaking card which could be from any of the topics in the last 2 years and I just ...it's just....too much! It's unrealistic I think to expect teachers to have enough time to cover all bases! I too like the fact that we can research things and talk about them with the profs, I just really really hate the fact that there's a speaking card as WELL. pick one or the other AQA!!!
    Very true. Do you do French and Spanish? It seems so much when you list all of that and then double it

ReputationRep:
    Very true. Do you do French and Spanish? It seems so much when you list all of that and then double it
    I do indeed. I'm used to balancing them now, so I can't imagine doing one without the other, especially when many words are similar e.g.
    le défi / el desafio = challenge
    sensibiliser/sensibilizar = to make aware

ReputationRep:
    I do indeed. I'm used to balancing them now, so I can't imagine doing one without the other, especially when many words are similar e.g.
    le défi / el desafio = challenge
    sensibiliser/sensibilizar = to make aware
    Yeah that's true! "soportar" and "supporter" is an example that springs to my mind, both mean "to put up with" Which one do you think you're better at? We did the 2017 AS paper in class for each language and I got 85/90 in Spanish and 69/90 in French Both As but very different marks, usually I get the same.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's true! "soportar" and "supporter" is an example that springs to my mind, both mean "to put up with" Which one do you think you're better at? We did the 2017 AS paper in class for each language and I got 85/90 in Spanish and 69/90 in French Both As but very different marks, usually I get the same.
    Ugh I was really annoyed actually because I got a B in Spanish and an A in French, but the reason I got a B in Spanish is because they marked my speaking really harshly and gave me a C, when i got an A for that section in French. I have very similar levels of understanding (prefer French though) so I don't think they Spanish peeps were marking fairly!!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I was really annoyed actually because I got a B in Spanish and an A in French, but the reason I got a B in Spanish is because they marked my speaking really harshly and gave me a C, when i got an A for that section in French. I have very similar levels of understanding (prefer French though) so I don't think they Spanish peeps were marking fairly!!:mad:
    That's so annoying, I guess it just proves how the education marking system is flawed if similar levels of A Level Languages can be seen as an A grade and a C grade simultaneously. I'm really worried for the speaking exams, I can't imagine how nervous I will be for them..

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.