The Student Room Group

Lewis structure help :(

Hey so im having trouble drawing lewis structures. So with the example XeOF4:

I assume Xe is the central atom as it is the least electronegative then i attach the other atoms with single bonds. But how do i know if i should put the remaining electron pairs as double bonds or lone pairs?

Scroll to see replies

Have you not learnt how atoms bond to each other covalently and the way they share electrons? apply those basic rules here and it should work.

Important thing to look for is the number of valence electrons and then go on from there.
Reply 2
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Have you not learnt how atoms bond to each other covalently and the way they share electrons? apply those basic rules here and it should work.

Important thing to look for is the number of valence electrons and then go on from there.

Yes i have but im not sure how to apply this to drawing lewis structures :s-smilie:

So ive added all the valence electrons. I had to draw one extra for oxygen and one less for Xe so it would fit but obviously this is wrong. Where do i go from here?

z.png
Original post by kiiten
Yes i have but im not sure how to apply this to drawing lewis structures :s-smilie:

So ive added all the valence electrons. I had to draw one extra for oxygen and one less for Xe so it would fit but obviously this is wrong. Where do i go from here?

z.png

You are missing out an important fact. How many electrons does each atom contribute? Take a look and you will realise something.
Reply 4
You are missing out an important fact. How many electrons does each atom contribute? Take a look and you will realise something.

At the moment they are all contributing one electron???
Original post by kiiten
At the moment they are all contributing one electron???

Nope. Look at how many electrons Xe, F and O have in their outer energy level. Then see how they each contribute electrons.
Reply 6
Nope. Look at how many electrons Xe, F and O have in their outer energy level. Then see how they each contribute electrons.

Oh yeah oops :redface:

Xe - 8 outer electrons (contributes 5)
F - 7 outer electrons (contributing 1)
O - 6 outer electrons (contributing none???)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
Oh yeah oops :redface:

Xe - 8 outer electrons (contributes 5)
Fe - 7 outer electrons (contributing 1)
O - 6 outer electrons (contributing none???)

Fe? It's Fluorine so should be F? Also, when bonding, how many lone pairs does O have generally which it can contribute? F can contribute how many electrons to have a complete orbital? What do you think?
Reply 8
Fe? It's Fluorine so should be F? Also, when bonding, how many lone pairs does O have generally which it can contribute? F can contribute how many electrons to have a complete orbital? What do you think?

yeah sorry its F, idk whats wrong with me today :cry:

F needs 1 more electron for an octet and oxygen needs 2??
Original post by kiiten
yeah sorry its F, idk whats wrong with me today :cry:

F needs 1 more electron for an octet and oxygen needs 2??

Okay. So there are a total of 42 valence electrons. 8 from Xe, 6 from O and 28 from F (7 from each F atom). You know that Xe will be the central atom. now figure out how it will bond with Oxygen so it has a full energy level. After you figure this out, Fluorine should be relatively simple.
Reply 10
Okay. So there are a total of 42 valence electrons. 8 from Xe, 6 from O and 28 from F (7 from each F atom). You know that Xe will be the central atom. now figure out how it will bond with Oxygen so it has a full energy level. After you figure this out, Fluorine should be relatively simple.

Ok so i know its a double bond but how do you decide this? Is it because oxygen needs 2 electrons to form an octet?
Original post by kiiten
Ok so i know its a double bond but how do you decide this? Is it because oxygen needs 2 electrons to form an octet?

Yes. Oxygen and Xe will have a double bond because that is the way Oxygen will achieve a double bond. Now, decide how other atoms will pair :smile:
Reply 12
Yes. Oxygen and Xe will have a double bond because that is the way Oxygen will achieve a double bond. Now, decide how other atoms will pair :smile:

Oh so its based on the number of electrons needed to achieve an octet?

So fluorine needs 1 electron - single bond
Oxygen needs 2 - double bond
Xenon - .... already has an octet?? Im confused :s-smilie:
Original post by kiiten
Oh so its based on the number of electrons needed to achieve an octet?

So fluorine needs 1 electron - single bond
Oxygen needs 2 - double bond
Xenon - .... already has an octet?? Im confused :s-smilie:

you are right that fluorine needs 1 electron to have a full octet but there are 4 F atoms so you will have 4 single bonds. Therefore, in total you have

one double bond + 4 single bonds = 4 + 8 electrons which means 12 valence electrons have been used and you are left with 30 valence electrons.
Reply 14
you are right that fluorine needs 1 electron to have a full octet but there are 4 F atoms so you will have 4 single bonds. Therefore, in total you have

one double bond + 4 single bonds = 4 + 8 electrons which means 12 valence electrons have been used and you are left with 30 valence electrons.

so 15 electron pairs? - add as valence electrons??

generally speaking for lewis structures do you draw the single bonds then add valence electrons. Then how do you decide if you need a multiple bond i.e. double/triple etc.??
Original post by kiiten
so 15 electron pairs? - add as valence electrons??

generally speaking for lewis structures do you draw the single bonds then add valence electrons. Then how do you decide if you need a multiple bond i.e. double/triple etc.??

Yes there are 15 electron pairs and you add them as lone pairs to each atom in your structure.

I personally don't see a big difference with questions of this type. You know O will have a double bond even if you don't work out the valence electrons. Although generally it is better to work out the valence electrons and then see what bonds are formed but saying that, doing it either way is fine because it doesn't make a big difference.
Reply 16
Yes there are 15 electron pairs and you add them as lone pairs to each atom in your structure.

I personally don't see a big difference with questions of this type. You know O will have a double bond even if you don't work out the valence electrons. Although generally it is better to work out the valence electrons and then see what bonds are formed but saying that, doing it either way is fine because it doesn't make a big difference.

Ok thanks for your help :h:

Would you be able to help me with this too??
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5087614
Original post by kiiten

Np. Unfortunately, my knowledge ends here :redface: Although there are several other users who can help you :wink:
Original post by kiiten

If you're an undergraduate it is also worth working out the shape that the compound will adopt based on VSEPR theory.

You have already established that you have 5 atoms bonded to Xe (note, although the double bond to O is obviously a 4 electron bond, for the purposes of VSEPR it counts as one group, the same as a single bond.

You have also worked out there are 15 electron pairs that are not bonding.
You should know that double bonded oxygen will have 2 lone pairs and that single bonded Fluorine will have 3 lone pairs.

so that's 4x3 for the Fluorines and 2 for Oxygen
that accounts for 14 lone pairs

So the 15th lone pair must be on the Xenon!

From that you can conclude that there are 5 bonding groups and one lone pair around Xe, so the geometry around Xenon should be square pyramidal (which indeed it is)!
Reply 19
Original post by MexicanKeith
note, although the double bond to O is obviously a 4 electron bond, for the purposes of VSEPR it counts as one group, the same as a single bond.

Wait im confused. A double bond counts as 4 electrons which means xenon already has 8 electrons so why does it have a lone pair?

Quick Reply

Latest