The Student Room Group

Top Electronic and Electrical Engineering (EEE) Universities

I am looking at applying for this course to start in 2009.
Electronics has always been a brilliant subject for me and was wondering which universities were top.

I really like the sound of Manchester, southhampton, bristol and bath. What about these?

TY

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Southampton is AMAZING, been there for an interview. impressive equipment and tools
Reply 2
JamesHo
Southampton is AMAZING, been there for an interview. impressive equipment and tools

I'm pretty sure most uni's which do engineering will have these.

Having said that, Southampton does have a very nice campus :smile:
Medwardz

No. Our equipment is rubbish. Our lecturers tell us that repeatedly.

Luckily they're great, the teaching is first rate and job prospects are fantastic!
Reply 4
Bristol and Southampton are supposed to be excellent, Bath seems to get lower rankings, not quite sure why really.
Reply 5
Medwardz

Having said that, Southampton does have a very nice campus :smile:

I have been to four out of five of my applying uni for interview and tour, have to be fair, Southampton's ECS department is OUTSTANDING when compared to the other three uni. honestly it is amazing.
Reply 6
ukebert
Bristol and Southampton are supposed to be excellent, Bath seems to get lower rankings, not quite sure why really.

If you look at the rankings it is because of Bath's research. Choose other parameters to list it by and it scores quite highly. You certainly get a lot of contact time with your lecturers in the way of labs, lectures and tutorials at Bath. Far more than any of the other courses here at Bath i've noticed.
Reply 7
Notts has a really good department and the facilities are great! You'll live in a first class campus, be surrounded by amazing staff and a very well organised department. Although I'm in Mechanical, I am constantly in contact with EE students and they love it. A lot of them chose Notts over the likes of Bristol and even Soton.
Imperial.
Reply 9
I don't want to go to London
Reply 10
What would be the best universities if I have to choose 3 (5) unis within the top 20 for EEE?
Brue
What would be the best universities if I have to choose 3 (5) unis within the top 20 for EEE?

If you're interested in analogue design (IC or otherwise) Edinburgh is extremely strong - certainly the best in Scotland. It's ranked in the top 5 but I don't think it does us justice :rolleyes:

Edit: I should add that job prospects and salary in this area are rather good!
Reply 12
Brue

Southampton
Imperial
Bristol
?
ColinOfEdinburgh
If you're interested in analogue design (IC or otherwise) Edinburgh is extremely strong - certainly the best in Scotland. It's ranked in the top 5 but I don't think it does us justice :rolleyes:

Edit: I should add that job prospects and salary in this area are rather good!

I thought they were bad unless you lived in america or taiwan (and it was all going to china/taiwan anyway).. which is what made me think twice about pursuing ee :frown:
hsn
I thought they were bad unless you lived in america or taiwan (and it was all going to china/taiwan anyway).. which is what made me think twice about pursuing ee :frown:

There is some truth to that statement. But there are a lot of "IC Design Houses" in the UK which employ engineers to design these chips. Admittedly we generally get them fabricated in places like Taiwan however. Fabrication work itself is hard to comeby in the UK - it seems to be in recession in fact.

But there'll always be a market for design engineers - more if less people do it!

Edit: I certainly wouldn't turn away from this area based purely on Taiwan doing all the fabrication itself. It's a really good area if you have a head for analogue design.
ColinOfEdinburgh
There is some truth to that statement. But there are a lot of "IC Design Houses" in the UK which employ engineers to design these chips. Admittedly we generally get them fabricated in places like Taiwan however. Fabrication work itself is hard to comeby in the UK - it seems to be in recession in fact.

But there'll always be a market for design engineers - more if less people do it!

Edit: I certainly wouldn't turn away from this area based purely on Taiwan doing all the fabrication itself. It's a really good area if you have a head for analogue design.

No, i know all the chip fabs etc are in taiwan but i thought the design work was going to be moved offshore/its all in america anyway... dream job is to work for nvidia or intel or even amd designing gfx cards and cpus.. but its just a dream :wink:
hsn
No, i know all the chip fabs etc are in taiwan but i thought the design work was going to be moved offshore/its all in america anyway... dream job is to work for nvidia or intel or even amd designing gfx cards and cpus.. but its just a dream :wink:

Well the design base is almost certainly stronger in America etc. But don't forget IC's are used in more than just computer parts - a lot more! I think as I've got older I've cared less and less about working for a massive corporation. Though I am awe inspired by what Intel does...
ColinOfEdinburgh
Well the design base is almost certainly stronger in America etc. But don't forget IC's are used in more than just computer parts - a lot more! I think as I've got older I've cared less and less about working for a massive corporation. Though I am awe inspired by what Intel does...

i know.. but isnt it ALL being outsourced?
hsn
i know.. but isnt it ALL being outsourced?

I don't think there's any evidence of that at all. If I'm being honest.
The key factor is maintaining an innovative edge in the UK. We have the knowledge, but turning that into enterprise is an issue the government have been working at.

Even if it all got outsourced, someone has to do that work - though I'd rather not move to America to do it! Still, it's a possibility. It's a high risk sector but you find IC design houses from National, Analog, Freescale and a lot of other big multinationals all over the world.

Though there is some truth in what you're saying. The UK could be reduced to tertiary service industries if we go on at our present rate. It's up to us to make the difference for our country!
I realise there may be some contradiction in my last post. Nevertheless, no point in scaremongering!

Quick Reply

Latest